Where The Heck Am I Going Wrong?

I replied on a topic a good while back with regard to how much per hour a freelance groomer working in someone else's salon should ideally be getting paid per hour.

Had a really lovely reply to a message I sent a lady here kirst_goldens (who I've just realised I never replied to - I'm so sorry!!!! Can't tell you how much sh*t I've had going on here!).

Anyway.. long story as short as I can make it.

Went to have a trial day at a salon on the Gold Coast, they liked me and agreed to take me on, however could only pay me $X per hour and I had to invoice them (i.e. sub contract). Due to family emergency back in the UK, I had to tell them that I couldn't start immediately as I had to travel overseas. Not a problem says they, call us when you're back.

So call them I did, back at the beginning of April.

I should explain that Mother and father (almost retirees) own the business, daughter is the groomer. When I called to arrange going back to work for them, Mother was dealing with all the business side of things due to daughter being a complete mental and physical mess. When I said I was struggling to justify $x amount per hour, Mother starts crying and saying that the business is going to sh*t because of daughter and they were desperate. So me being me (stooopid) agreed to go in for 2 days per week to help out. Bear in mind I've had no dealings with the groomer daughter whatsoever. Mother organises hours, pay, takes all the calls for bookings etc.

So fast forward 3 months. Business being sold to two new buyers, another Mother / Daughter team (no grooming background).

Current owner (the Mother) has had enough of the stress involved etc and wants shot of the business.

Suddenly psychotic daughter of current owners decides she wants in and NOW wants to be in charge of running the place etc. Another vital bit of info is that the books dont balance, as daughter has been filtering cash into her own pocket and not putting it through the business... doesn't groom if there is someone else to do it, and from her own mothers mouth to me - shes f***ed the business up.

Anyway...contracts/handover was due to take place this week. I've only met the new owners to shake hands with them, didnt get to have a conversation with them or anything as I was mid - grooming.

Asked for their contact details or for them to call me so that I could confirm I would still be required 2 days per week and so on.

I was expecting to be going in for work for two days this week,only to get a phone call from current owners daughter to say I'm not required. Well, says me, Thurs & Fri are my days - whats the go???? She says it's quiet and not much to do, and I need to be here to take the calls, because otherwise no-one would take the calls for bookings. So I'm like - well I can answer a phone and take bookings for goodness sake, I ran my own salon when I still lived in England, I can do this you know! But no, not needed...... !

I THEN find out she's had another groomer in on a trial day to help her out when she's there?????? Explaination for that was that the new owners want more than two groomers on their books, just in case either of us are not around. Fair enough you might think.

But when I've questioned all this and tried to discuss it with the daughter, she's resorted to insulting me by saying well actually, YOU'VE cost the business money, because you're really really slow at grooming...

Can't tell you how hurt I am........

Last Friday I single handedly bathed, dried and groomed 4 dogs in 4 hours. At $x amount per hour and compared to what is charged for each dog,I've taken less than half of the money those 4 dogs generated.

So now, here I am, sitting stewing and still waiting for last Fridays earnings to be dropped off to me (as arranged) - I KNEW I should have driven up to the salon and got them myself......

Not only that, having only ever dealt with the Mother owner of the salon, to then be told by her that she washes her hands of the whole mess, and that daughter is now in charge (which is fair play, but not if she's going to screw me over!) knowing what I know about her behaviour and mental state and everything her Mum has frigging moaned and moaned about..... oh blah blah blah... :(

I guess I'm just bl**dy ranting because this is NOT the first bad experience I've had with groomer/owners on the Gold Coast...and frankly if it weren't for my financial state, I would have set my own business up long ago...I'm just so over it now....

Hellllllllllllllp :(

edit to add - not such a short story after all - sorry!!

Edited by TessiesTracey

Gah, it doesn't sound like you're going wrong at all, it looks like you've just been caught smack bang in the middle of 2 people's ailing businesses!

You may have some sort of legal standing around no longer 'being needed', depending on your original employment contract (though from what you described, I'm not sure whether you had a formal one?), and possibly the contract of sale between the former and new owners. But it also doesn't seem like you want to go down that path..

I wish there was some better advice I could offer you, sounds like one hell of a bad run :(

Just keep your sights on setting up your own business, and use these people's horrid business models and practices as examples of what NOT to do! :mad

Well I don't know what hourly rate would be required but I wouldn't work for less than $30 per hour. That would be using all their supplied equipment.I definetly wouldn't work for nutters.If you don't enjoy working in an enviroment you won't be performing at your best.Start doing something off your own bat if you have a garage/shed at home it doesn't have to be a shop straight away.Word of mouth is the best advertising you can get you cant buy it! Ok I'm in country vic all i have outside is a crappy sign on the road side (cost $10).I don't advertise at all I print my own cards.I limit customers to 200.

Go for it !

Thank you both.

No... you're right Alkhe, no formal contract, as essentially I subcontracted to them and so it was a verbal agreement (yeah I know I'm a mug!!), because also I wasn't sure what days I would be doing and so on.

I actually don't want to particularly work for them or with them anyway now after all this.

I've been very lucky, in that former contacts have put me in touch with (so far) 4 pet owners who would like me to groom their dogs. It's a start at least.

I've wanted to go out on my own for the longest time, but financial constraints have stopped me. Now, I just think, the hell with it, and as you've suggested dogcop, now is the time.

All I need is a bath. Got everything else. Wish I'd brought my hydrobath with me from the UK, but was just no room left in the container!! Grrr!

Thank you both for your words of encouragement, just what I need today :)

Find somewhere that will let you pay the bath off. I first set up my business from home around 10 years ago after having a mobile for about 4 years. Home based was the best thing I ever did.

One of the best bits of equip I have is micro fibre towels best stuff since sliced bread.I use them myself (not the dog ones)it really handy to get dry quick after a shower.it also cut back on washing normal towells etc.Cuts down the electricity usage too and it all counts.Thank heavens I don't get water bills here as we are on tank and bore so no price rise for customers which they will appreciate.

When i started, I had some basic equipment and a table and went to peoples houses, groomed the dogs there and used their bath to wash the dogs (or kitchen sink if the dog was small enough!) I think I ended up grooming in every type of room in a house from downstairs loo, conservatory, garden shed, garage, kitchen etc. Only overheads was keeping the car running between clients homes. Once a client base is built up, I then moved to having a shop (although when i move I will look at having a room in the house/outhouse for grooming).

Sounds like now is the time to take that step and if you have some spare money, get an advert in the local paper to let people know where you have gone - or better yet, think of a story to get some free advertising.

Ring the manufacturers of the hydrobaths, sometimes they may have one that was made to order and then rejected by their client. That's how I got mine. Still not cheap but cheaper than most brand new ones. Mine is blue and red which is why they apparently had trouble selling it. My dogs don't care what colour the torture chamber is, they just want baths over and done with anyway.

Thanks for all your input, it's all helping to drive me on to go out and do it alone!

I have a couple of people who I already groom for in their homes (in their garages), it's a bit of a pain dragging all the stuff with me, but thankfully they're understanding and are happy to do it that way.

Re: the baths, I'm thinking of initially buying one of those xlarge plastic booster baths (think they're manufactured by Fidos?). Any thoughts on them? From what I've seen of them and read, they seem to be a good option to start with....

It does worry me a little that people are more into someone coming to them, rather than them having to come to me?

I just need to wash my hands of these other people... just too much aggro.

People who like you to go to them generally are like this as they want to see how you treat their dog (some want to see you are doing a good grooming job and off 'helpful' suggestions) but I found when I made the jump from grooming in peoples homes to opening my shop, then nearly everyone agreed to bring their dogs to me, only the few without transport or with dogs who had issues with car travel didn't come with me (although I did offer to collect a few dogs, it was a big chunk out of the grooming time and when I could have been in the shop getting more clients)

booster baths are great but MUST be agaisnt a wall or u willhave dogs flying out every which way bahah but good as a starting point :)

So sorry to hear about all the Sh*T they have put u through!! I am also nutting out setting up at home rather then in the salon to cut costs and make life less stressfull... i think ill need another part time job to start with untill i have a strong clientele but it would be worth it :)

Chin up and pm any questions if u need :) im only 23 and started grooming at 20 bahaha but i hav been through some stuff, and so have mates so u watch and learn.. sometimes the deal u had works perfectly but othertimes it doesnt!! maybe it was what u needed to get u out on ur own :) take as many contacts with u as u can from the old place LOL

I work for a salon but I get a few people through the westie club want me to groom them at thier place which I do but get them to wash the dog the night before so they are ready for me to clip.

At home I have a booster bath for my own dogs and it is great.

Thanks for all your input, it's all helping to drive me on to go out and do it alone!

I have a couple of people who I already groom for in their homes (in their garages), it's a bit of a pain dragging all the stuff with me, but thankfully they're understanding and are happy to do it that way.

Re: the baths, I'm thinking of initially buying one of those xlarge plastic booster baths (think they're manufactured by Fidos?). Any thoughts on them? From what I've seen of them and read, they seem to be a good option to start with....

It does worry me a little that people are more into someone coming to them, rather than them having to come to me?

I just need to wash my hands of these other people... just too much aggro.

When I moved to QLD from Sydney I was renting and didn't want a salon from home again. I approached the local vet and used to groom from their five surgeries in my area until they asked me to open a shop in their new vet hospital.

They had a hydrobath in every surgery but one (I put my one in there). I just brought along my stand dryer and clippers/blades/scissors/shampoos etc. I charged the clients direct and gave 10% to the vet. I also booked all the appointments myself and just told them when I would be there. They usually just had a table for me out of the way or in one of the rooms they weren't using. They were happy to have someone with experience and another service to offer their clients.

It is a great low cost way to start out if you can find a good vet.

When I moved to QLD from Sydney I was renting and didn't want a salon from home again. I approached the local vet and used to groom from their five surgeries in my area until they asked me to open a shop in their new vet hospital.

They had a hydrobath in every surgery but one (I put my one in there). I just brought along my stand dryer and clippers/blades/scissors/shampoos etc. I charged the clients direct and gave 10% to the vet. I also booked all the appointments myself and just told them when I would be there. They usually just had a table for me out of the way or in one of the rooms they weren't using. They were happy to have someone with experience and another service to offer their clients.

It is a great low cost way to start out if you can find a good vet.

10% is a good deal. Many vet based groomers pay up to 50%