Fish Oil & Glucosamine For Golden

So my 8 month old golden retriever had surgery about 4 weeks ago for ocd and we have been told by the phsyio to start her on glucosamine and fish oil to help with her joints. When we went to the pet store yesterday a lady was telling my mum about eukanuba and it has added glucosamine and fish oil, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this pet food and if they have seen any benefits in relation to better mobility etc?

Also if eukanuba isn't the best choice we can start her on human glucosamine & fish oil, would we have to wean her onto it so that it is not such a strong dose at first? Attached photo is Ava having fun at her hydro session

Thanks

post-38397-0-08523500-1309734769_thumb.jpg

If you are going to go with a food, why don't you consider Black Hawk Holistic...it contains all those things plus more, is a lot cheaper than Eukanuba & is 100% Australian, & on top of that your dog will love it. ;)

from what I have read (and I have read alot) any oil additives in premium dry food are not worth counting.

http://www.omega-3-fish-oil-wonders.com/fish-oil-for-dogs.html

I add fish oil to my dogs raw food each night - cut the capsule open and place in food (they eat the lot) All 10 of my GWP get a capsule.

1 capsule 1000mg with 180 EPA 120 DHA - available from any health shop and most supermarkets. I buy the large bottle of 200 capsules for around $14

Hope this helps.....

Edited by Hotwyr

I also think that you are better to add your own but you need to know what the correct dose is for your dog's bodyweight. Some dry foods are now adding all these things as a marketing ploy but not enough for a therapeutic dose

So my 8 month old golden retriever had surgery about 4 weeks ago for ocd and we have been told by the phsyio to start her on glucosamine and fish oil to help with her joints. When we went to the pet store yesterday a lady was telling my mum about eukanuba and it has added glucosamine and fish oil, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this pet food and if they have seen any benefits in relation to better mobility etc?

Also if eukanuba isn't the best choice we can start her on human glucosamine & fish oil, would we have to wean her onto it so that it is not such a strong dose at first? Attached photo is Ava having fun at her hydro session

Thanks

Hi,

Both mine are on Black hawk holistic but they also get 1000mg fish oil capsule & 1 linseed capsule per day, they love the taste of them, just gobble them down. :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy

The amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin contained in Euk is not anywhere near the daily recommended doses, for even a small breed. I checked with our rep regarding exactly whats in it.

You are better off buying a quality dry and then adding the daily amount of both.

If you are looking for a cheap way to buy glucosamine and chondroitin, then have a look at Flexure EQ or Joint Guard for horses. You need to work out what's in a scoop and that's easily done ( flexure is about 3 times the DRI to a scoop and you need about 1 of joint guard ).

Guest english.ivy

I'm another Black Hawk feeder but I don't add anything for their joints as yet, no need.

But BH is ten fold better than Euk and cheaper.

If you are looking for a cheap way to buy glucosamine and chondroitin, then have a look at Flexure EQ or Joint Guard for horses. You need to work out what's in a scoop and that's easily done ( flexure is about 3 times the DRI to a scoop and you need about 1 of joint guard ).

That it a great idea. Thanks :thumbsup: This is alot cheaper than the products for dogs.

Has anyone that has suggested BH bothered to ask exactly how much glucosamine and chondroitin is in the product ?

I am just saying that works for us thus far as both mine look shinny & healthy. It is economical to boot :)

Has anyone that has suggested BH bothered to ask exactly how much glucosamine and chondroitin is in the product ?

I am just saying that works for us thus far as both mine look shinny & healthy. It is economical to boot :)

Yes but the OP was asking about glucosamine and chondroitin for joints, both Euk and BH contain it, but I suspect as in the case of Euk, it's not the RDI for dog

my two have been getting 2 glucosamine/fish oil capsules daily for years. I buy the human grade ones from the supermarket and just put in their food without breaking them up. So far their joints are in great shape.

I cannot answer your question about introducing them slowly though...I can't remember what I did for my two as it was a long time ago...I'd guess start with 1 a day and if there are no adverse reactions, then give 2.

Em gets glucosamine (either powder or liquid depending on what I've bought) and she also gets a fish oil capsule each night.

If you go to a compound pharmacist they can make up something special for you that has all of it in one (my cousin is one, so I'm thinking of getting him to do this for Em when I run out of my current supply) - you don't need a prescription although it might help to know what dosage the dog requires.

But, my current system is working well and I think it helps her with her mobility.

Yes but the OP was asking about glucosamine and chondroitin for joints, both Euk and BH contain it, but I suspect as in the case of Euk, it's not the RDI for dog

Yes & I was just saying what I have been doing with my 2 & so far we have not had joint or mobility issues.

Yes & I was just saying what I have been doing with my 2 & so far we have not had joint or mobility issues.

The OP has a dog that has issues, so in her case she needs to use an appropriate dose, otherwise it is pointless.

The dose of Fish oil is 1000mg per 10kgs bodyweight which can be doubled if there is skin or joint issues. Keep in mind you will need to either give them vitamin E or find fish oil that has is added.

I wouldn't worry too much about the added amounts while they are beneficial, you will need a higher dose than a complete dog food can gibe. I would go BH over Eukanuba as well.

For those that are feeding capsules and breaking them into the food..is there any research that says the omega 3's will lose their potency when exposed to air for long periods of time? My dog sometimes doesn't finish his food quick enough and some gets left for next day. I know flaxseed oil is highly reactive to light and fouls up once exposed. Not sure if fish oil has similar problems??

When I was feeding my girl VAN + Raw, I was giving her a 1000 mg fish oil capsule with her food + joint formula + Livamol. I never bothered breaking the capsule, just put it on top & she would scoff it down. Now she is on B/Hawk + RMB, I no longer bother with the supplements. I still have a kilo of Dr. Bruces Joint Formula left over.....maybe I might start adding a small amount to her food, just so it doesn't go to waste. :confused:

Thanks all for your input, I think what I might do is just buy human grade glucosamine & fish oil and keep giving her her regular advance large dog breed adult food. I was told by the phsyio at one stage that sardines would be a great source of fish oil however when we went up the other week to see her and I mentioned that we gave her some she basically went nuts at me, needless to say I won't be going back to her, at $75 a pop for her to just walk out when we're supposed to be in physio it doesnt give me great confidence!

My Staffy had TTA surgery for a torn cruciate ligament about a year ago and I have been giving her 6 fish oil capsules and 1500mg Glucosamine daily since. They are both human grade - I choose human grade because I figure anything short of human grade can only mean reduced quality. My Staffy loves her fish oil - she just chews them like treats.

You might find it interesting to hear that about a month ago I ran out of both fish oil and glucosamine for a week and she actually went lame again. Within a couple of days of reintroducing it (in conjunction with careful activity restriction) she started walking normally! I am aware that this could be a coincidence but fish oil and glucosamine are supposed to be anti-inflammatory so I think it is also likely that it's not a coincidence.

Arielle

Edited by arielle