Doesnt Sit Right With Me

perth_girl

I was just browsing at a few things online and I stumbled across a pet shop. I clicked its link and started scanning the website quickly. My first thought was "oh nice, a place where the puppies arent kept in small boxes and cages". The shop has free run enclosures for the pups. Fair enough, its a step in the right direction. Then I stopped scanning and looked properly.

Seems this shop churns out mass quantities of 'designer dogs'. Soooo many 'oodles'! Now, Im a fan of the cute little cross breeds and think some are adorable BUT this just doesnt sit right with me! I would love to post the link of the shop but pretty sure Im not allowed to. The more I read into the shop, the more it upset me. I think they are trying to do the right thing and see that yes there is a market for designer dogs, but looking at their "shipments due to arrive" in the next two months, it just seems a bit wrong to me.

One of my work collegues were telling me about a lovely petshop in a certain suburb, how they have lovely outdoor runs for the pets, and how you have to wash ur hands, take off your shoes, wear an apron if you want to pet the animals... however when I told her where they were most likely getting their pups from, she was horrified.

Yes, it is nice that they arent boxed up in cages, but pet shops arent places for live animals IMO

Any petshop that says 'shipments due to arrive' are getting their puppies from a puppy farm in my opinion. The usual BS shown by this store I am thinking....all looks nice in the shop front...gee aren't we great we have big pens and our pups are so well kept :confused: ....pity about the breeding dogs back at the puppy farm living a life of misery :mad . Pet shops that sell puppies are just WRONG . BIG thumbs up :thumbsup: to the ones who are working with local rescue and trying to re home.

It says on the website that they dont use puppy farms/mills and that they deal with breeders, but the huge majority of their pups seems to be 'oodles' or 'mini-xyz' so Im assuming their breeders are more like BYB or the likes.

It says on the website that they dont use puppy farms/mills and that they deal with breeders, but the huge majority of their pups seems to be 'oodles' or 'mini-xyz' so Im assuming their breeders are more like BYB or the likes.

Web-sites never lie... ;)

Web-sites never lie... ;)

Haha oh never!

In my opinion, any pet shop that sells live animals doesn't sit right. I never grace them with my business.

My thoughts exactly. I had a FB former school friend who posted a status saying ''Must not get puppy''-- the puppy in question was a Pug x Cavalier from a well known pet store. All the other posts ( from other former school mates) were things like; ''Get it/ So cute''. I just said

''Noo...don't buy from a pet shop. Buy from a reputable registered breeder and not a mutt with a fancy name from a backyard breeder.''
. She replied saying ''It's okay I am getting a cat from a breeder instead.

It says on the website that they dont use puppy farms/mills

Of course it does. The general public is starting to find out what puppy mills are really like. They will say or do anything to keep their business turning over a profit. They are lying, that sort of supply cannot be kept up by the odd family breeding their 'perfect' mutt so that kids see the miracle of birth. That sort of supply screams puppy mill.

Edited by cmkelpie

Of course it does. The general public is starting to find out what puppy mills are really like. They will say or do anything to keep their business turning over a profit. They are lying, that sort of supply cannot be kept up by the odd family breeding their 'perfect' mutt so that kids see the miracle of birth. That sort of supply screams puppy mill.

Even if they don't use puppy mills I bet you they use byb's.One such "person" that I worked with informed me how "..her staffy dog was 'pregnant' again and she's not even a year old" (said proudly)"Yeah, this time I want more than $50 each for them, cus that pet shop sold 'em for $500.00 each, that rip off artist."

I'll spare you the rest of this conversation, but it also emerged that these pups were five weeks old when delivered to the Pet Shop .

When I pointed out they should stay with their Mother until eight weeks she said "Yeah, but its all sweet, the Pet shop owner said I'll have to tell the Vet when they get microchipped they're eight weeks". (I did try to talk to this woman about this,but dealing with a type that was inherently stupid and greedy made it a lost cause). Only the fact that I was in a working environment and her superior at that time made me keep a lid on it. This woman had one dog and one bitch, not your typical image of a puppy farmer as such, but definitely just as bad.

This woman had one dog and one bitch, not your typical image of a puppy farmer as such, but definitely just as bad.

Agreed!

Isn't it against the law to sell pups under 8 weeks old?Or is it one of those laws that nobody ever enforces,I would like to see these ppl fined,Never heard of it ever happening though.One of our local pet stores started out with the odd litter from locals who's dog had pups.Now they too have a constant supply of designer breeds.Someone is breeding a lot of dogs to keep these pet shops supplied all year round.The puppy farmers of coarse.I have also noticed an increase of these designer dogs turning up at the pounds now,

i've been into a few petshops recently pretending i know nothing. One shop i asked where do the pups come from, a smaller shop with about 3 pups in there, cav cross something i think maltese. no fancy name just the name of the cross. no price. the girl said that they come from "family breeders"....i said not from puppy farms? oh no was the answer, puppy farm dogs are flea ridden and unhealthy. another shop i got the same answer and apparently they have a supply of BYB.

what they don't realise is, BYB who is a puppy farmer but in a smaller scale is the exact same as a large scale puppy farm. same principles, dogs being bred for profit at every season of their poor little lives, no health tests being crossed with goodness knows what.

i know of someone that went to a petstore to buy a puppy a year ago, the dog was meant to be a cavoodle, cav cross poodle, but looking at the dogs head it also has beagle and other breeds in it. the price over 1000 bucks.

my own grandmother, this was 20 years ago grant you, but nothing has changed: got a gift from the family (my stupid cousin's ex-wife who is now a puppy farmer herself one of the notorious ones in the state!! :mad ) the dog was meant to be a chihuahua and meant to turn out like my little dogs, well it didn't, it couldn't hardly walk, i estimated the poor puppy was about 5 weeks old sold at that age to create the illusion it was a small chihuahua. turned out it kept growing and was a fox terrier cross kelpie. my grandmother still loved this dog, cindy she was called, who lived until she was 17. We use to help look after her as grandma believed dogs should be left outside no matter the weather comes from her farming days i think.

when will people start realising that to buy a puppy in a shop they are helping to keep the parents of those poor pups inprisoned for life then killed when they can no longer produce to be replaced with another poor dog to do it all over again.

It amazes me with all the press on petshops that people still don't know about what is behind the petshop puppy. I wish we could boycott all these places and make them help to reduce numbers in shelters by only advertising shelter dogs.

I think the pet shops are telling people that their pups come from'' family breeders''because it sounds better than puppy farm,and gives ppl the impression that they were raised in a nice private home so as not to cop abuse from some of their customers.No store would say to you ,oh yes all our pups are mass produced on the farm.Mr and mrs Average who's one dog had pups that were raised in a family home and even well loved and cared for, thanks to the pet stores ,are now lumped in with the Farmers and the BYB for profit.Not saying it's right for ppl to breed their one dog .But their is a difference.You only need to look at the classifieds to see the adverts for pet shop puppies far out weigh the number of Mr average adverts by miles.Of coarse all these people are adding to the numbers of dogs that end up in the pound.I wonder if the message is getting through to the Mr averages ;but while they may be getting their dogs fixed more these days the farmers have filled the gaps and more.That is how i'm percieving the situation.

I think the pet shops are telling people that their pups come from'' family breeders''because it sounds better than puppy farm,and gives ppl the impression that they were raised in a nice private home so as not to cop abuse from some of their customers.No store would say to you ,oh yes all our pups are mass produced on the farm.Mr and mrs Average who's one dog had pups that were raised in a family home and even well loved and cared for, thanks to the pet stores ,are now lumped in with the Farmers and the BYB for profit.Not saying it's right for ppl to breed their one dog .But their is a difference.You only need to look at the classifieds to see the adverts for pet shop puppies far out weigh the number of Mr average adverts by miles.Of coarse all these people are adding to the numbers of dogs that end up in the pound.I wonder if the message is getting through to the Mr averages ;but while they may be getting their dogs fixed more these days the farmers have filled the gaps and more.That is how i'm percieving the situation.

but really you have to ask who is mr and mrs average these days? days gone by (maybe 30-40 years ago) there was plenty of mr and mrs average. these days breeding dogs, any dog that has 4 legs and looks like anything it doesn't even have to look like a breed is big big money. so mr and mrs average cash in now even if its a woops situation. there's still the odd person that just gives away pups to friends or family if it is a woops but they are very few and far between. i often scour the papers just keeping an eye on our breed for instance. i've contacted a few people and assisted in homing a dog because mostly the dogs aren't desexed and i worry that the dog will end up in the wrong hands or at a puppy farm. there was one reg breeder who was advertising for sale on gumtree of all places for 2 dogs with full papers for breeding dogs. in the end i directed her onto DOL and told her to watch who buys her dogs could be puppy farmers who also scour such sites. another person wanted a puppy with papers and was advertising to buy one on gumtree. so ofcourse got directed to DOL.

but really i consider mr and mrs average also BYB, there's either puppy farms large scale and there's BYB's. then there's the reg breeder. mr and mrs average aren't going to health test and concentrate on breed type and genetic problems in their dogs all the things that you need to do to make sure pups are healthy. still wrong.

Most of the time, Mr and Mrs Average dont care where the pup has come from OR they simply dont know better. If they see a cute puppy in the shop all they want is to buy it and take it home. Wondering if it was from a puppy farm might even be a slight selling point because some may think they are rescuing the pup and giving it a 'better life' or something like that.

Edited by perth_girl