Schutzhund Training..........

Hi there,

Just curious if there are any specific laws pertaining to dogs in NSW (or Australia overall) who have been trained in Schutzhund??

I know Schutzhund training is legal and there are 3 clubs in NSW who do it (as well as other security companies etc that do it) but I am looking for laws, if any as to whether these dogs would then be classified as being 'Restricted" or 'Dangerous' under the NSW Companion Animals Act (or anywhere else) due to the bite work etc that is involved in part of the training.

Any infor or links greatly appreciated.

:rainbowbridge:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I *think* in VIC they are considered restricted? Not sure about NSW (though you'd think I would know ) :rainbowbridge:

Will call someone who knows and get back to you. :cry:

I'm curious though why you ask? Are you rescuing a dog with Schutzhund experience?

Schutzhund is not recognised by ANKC.

There is no reason for those dogs to be declared dangerous - this is a sport not a real bite work - basically idea is that if there is no protective sleave the dog will not bite - as to reality bet to ask the schutzhund people - and I am almost 100% sure that they will confirm what I say.

Dog is trained to bite the sleave not a person wearing it.

Correct me anyone that knows better, and if I'm wrong.

If you like I can provide you with times and place where one of the clubs trains, or put you in touch with someone there.

Edited by myszka

Hi there,

Thanks for that.

I have emailed a few clubs in Australia and none have got back to me yet.

Certainly doesn't seem to be any laws (council or Govt) pertaining to Schutzhund trained dogs anyway.

I'm curious though why you ask? Are you rescuing a dog with Schutzhund experience?

Nope. I won't rehome any dog that I know has had any kind of protection training at all (even if it is just sport). Wouldn't risk it.

Like I said.... was merely curious. :)

Cordelia you will find that schutzhund people will tell you that it has nothing with protection training, as I said dogs are to bite a sleave, it is the same principal as a dog chasing a ball and grabbing it by its full mouth.

Bite work is a small part of shutzhund, perfect obiedinece is first. tracking second.

I have watched a schutzhund training session, dogs did all sorts of things and they might got one bite of a sleave in one session.

Anyway - from what I know schutzhund dogs are not trained to attack anyone - not that they would be any good in personal protection. Might be geood at barking at someone - thats about it.

These dogs however would be very well trained in obiedniece, exceptionally well in fact (UD level if not better)

Dont hold your breath for a speedy reply, these are not clubs like any obiednience clubs if you get 5 people training in one session this is a crowded night.

Edited by myszka

Schutzhund people in AUSTRALIA may say it has nothing to do with protection :confused:

I think more because of the politics surrounding it, and having problems being allowed to do it. The protection phase isn't even called protection here. Schutzhund actually means 'protection dog'. It was developed as a breed test for German Shepherds.

There is a lot of debate surrounding whether a Schutzhund dog would be a good protection dog. Many owners of Schutzhund dogs would argue that their dog would protect them in the streets :) . IMO the answer is 'depends on the dog and the training'. Some would, some wouldn't. Some would see it only as a game, and only bite the sleeve (equipment focus is frowned upon obviously in protection), others would take it past the game.

Schutzhund and protection are started the same way, and both are taught to bite a sleeve on a person's arm, at first in prey drive. Schutzhund is done for points and titles, so there are strict rules as to what the decoy does. Protection is done for real life, so what the decoy does (eventually, when dog is ready) is limited only by the imagination of the decoy and the equipment at hand (eg cars, agility equipment, windows).

Thank Lia. You might be right about the Australian bit.

http://psieforum.pl/viewtopic.php?t=68&pos...=asc&&start=460

here is another forum - in the second post you will see some links to short videos from the World Dobermann championships in Slovakia 2004

This is the winning dog.

Films in order

protection - obviously dog was given command to bite and to release

retrieve - I'd love Rex to retrieve like that!!!

checking of the area - dog is send out looking for an intruder that is hidign behind one of the tents.

bravery test - similar to first, just a better ending

healing

I can't see the topic - it is asking for a login :)

A link to United Schutzhund Clubs of America

http://germanshepherddog.com/schutzhund/index.htm

An (Australian :o ) link to differences between Schutzhund and protection.

http://www.dogs4sale.com.au/Schutzhund.htm...hund_difference

I don't agree with all of it. Having trained with people who train security/personal protection dogs, their dogs are fine around people, children and other dogs. Some of the dogs have several handlers, and I have handled these dogs as well. Except where it is the owners preference, most will listen to whoever has the lead. The decoys are also the obedience instructors, so the dogs learn that they are not to focus on the decoy when he is not a threat. They are not stupid though, they know who to focus on, I am rarely the object of their stares :confused: .

Cordelia I don;t know about N.S.W but in the changes to the dog act here in W.A they tried to write it in,but as the document still has not come out I do not know.Also the president of the schutzund club here was asked to leave it by the german shepherd club here that he is also a member of because of conflict of interest( why I dont know).Maybe they got wind of the changes and wanted to distance themselves. So I dont know if the schutzund club here is even still going.

Lia,

I am glad i am not the only one. I clicked on an add that said something about pies, i wondered why a bakery was sponsering a dog site :) but it was an add for dog food. It looks very different in another language...........lol

Myszka, we need your help