Sign in to follow this  
dobieboy

I Am Looking For A Reliable Doberman Breeder?

103 posts in this topic

dobieboy   

During the day, the dog will be in a large pen which will be connected to its metal crate. When I get home I will play with it for 10 minutes, give it it's second meal, take it to the toilet, then bring it inside and after 1/2 an hour take it down to the park for an hour an twenty minutes or so. The dog will be inside just about whenever I am home and I plan on training it to ring a bell when it need to go to the toilet. I may do agility with him when he is older. Would you recomend me getting a non-working line doberman with the amount of excersize I can provide?

Danois   

Toilet training a puppy takes a few months.

:confused:

A few months? Not sure what your method is but I had first puppy toilet trained by around 13 weeks (got at 10 weeks) and puppy 2 was toilet trained at 10 weeks (when he arrived) and never had one accident inside.

ish   

When I get home I will play with it for 10 minutes, give it it's second meal, take it to the toilet, then bring it inside and after 1/2 an hour take it down to the park for an hour an twenty minutes or so.

You nmight want to do some research into bloat and good feeding practises with bloat in mind

Clyde   

Toilet training a puppy takes a few months.

:confused:

A few months? Not sure what your method is but I had first puppy toilet trained by around 13 weeks (got at 10 weeks) and puppy 2 was toilet trained at 10 weeks (when he arrived) and never had one accident inside.

It depends on the dog and often, the breed. I've had one trained by nine weeks and I've had another who was still not reliable at 7 months. It's not a competition, all dogs are different.

Would you recomend me getting a non-working line doberman with the amount of excersize I can provide?

Yes. A non working line dog of similar breeds can easily keep up with your exercise regime.

Dobieboy - did you check out the breeders etc here on Dogzonline? I put the link in a previous post - but HERE it is again :)

During the day, the dog will be in a large pen which will be connected to its metal crate. When I get home I will play with it for 10 minutes, give it it's second meal, take it to the toilet, then bring it inside and after 1/2 an hour take it down to the park for an hour an twenty minutes or so. The dog will be inside just about whenever I am home and I plan on training it to ring a bell when it need to go to the toilet. I may do agility with him when he is older. Would you recomend me getting a non-working line doberman with the amount of excersize I can provide?

You want to do agility with a 50kg monster ?

Am I right in thinking this is the first dog that you have owned?. Dobes are the best :worship: but for a first time dog owner I would'nt recommend one, especially from "working lines".

You need to understand the commitment and time involved in training a dobe as they need far more attention than a lot of other breeds. Think very carefully before you go ahead & get one as a dobe deserves the best you can give it.

If you still wan't to go ahead then good luck & welcome to the club because their really is no other like a dobe. :love:

:D This is why you have one of our puppies.

Can I suggest you go into the dobe chat forum - link in an above post - from memory there are a couple of people who own dogs from these two breeders there on occasion. Also perhaps you need to take the time to meet with these breeders and their dogs so that you can make this decision yourself - you are the one who has to live with, train & love this dog for 10 + years.

Just a note (we have only had one dobe with bloat) - but with bloat as a concern you need to exercise your dog fully then crate / settle it for at least 1/2 an hour before feeding it then it remains crated / settled for about an hour after that.

50 kgs is too large for a Dobermann bred to the standard but there are dogs out there that big. You will not be able to do agility with a dog of this size so maybe your ideals need to change. Besides a working line dog will get alot more pleasure out of playing with a decoy than running an agility course.

Also perhaps you need to take the time to meet with these breeders and their dogs so that you can make this decision yourself - you are the one who has to live with, train & love this dog for 10 + years.

I think this is perhaps one of the most important things to consider. When we got our Vizsla, although we would have loved one from Abbiestar or Hubertus, we fell in love with the looks and more so the temperament of Ozkar's dad. That's when the decision was made. (obviously we had researched health etc prior to this)

While a breeder may have produced a lot of brilliant dogs, they may not be "the" dog you want? It's sometimes a very personal thing, especially is it is not for showing, but more as a family pet, as the decision is less based on conformation to the breed standard and more on compatability with your heart.

Ozkar is not perfect according to standard. His ears are a little short, he has a little white blaze on his chest and he has a cow lick which runs all the way down his neck! So in a ring, an equal dog would always win due to his....'Uniqueness"... :) But, we knew he was ours from the moment we set eyes on him. He was the one which looked most like his daddy. As it turned out, he has his daddy's relaxed personality too, rare in a Vizsla.

Kavik   

I don't have a Dobe but I do agility. You would not want to do agility with a Dobe that is 50kg! There is a lot of jumping, twisting , turning and climbing involved. The Dobes I've seen competing are not anywhere near 50kg - they need to be athletic and manouvreable.

Dogsfevr   

The Rottweiler Standard say males from 50 kg .

That would be one hefty Dobe

Generally, I would not get a working line dog unless you intend to work it or seriously compete in dog sports (ie not "just for fun" every now and then).

Working line dogs can become very hard to manage and destructive if not given a job to do or provided with enough mental stimulation and exercise.

Having said that, a more laid back individual from working lines may be suitable (as not all puppies turn out to be suitable workers).

You would be hard pressed to find a 50kg Dobe.

Perhaps a Rotty would be more suitable if you want such a heavy dog?

dobieboy   

As I have said valleygem breeds to that size .I am not as interested in the digs weight anymore as long as it is over 44kg.

As I have said valleygem breeds to that size .I am not as interested in the digs weight anymore as long as it is over 44kg.

apparently it's still all about weight.

Kavik   

I agree with aussielover - if you really want a dog that big, maybe a Rotty would be more suitable?

Didn't the OP say they were a first time dog owner? A rottweiler is hardly a suitable breed for the average first time dog owner, particularly if they are looking for a dog from working lines.

raineth   

apparently it's still all about weight.

why does it have to weigh more than 44 kgs?

Do you want a giant dog?

Maybe if you want a giant dog, you should consider a giant breed? :)

I can see you are frustrated about people's responses.

Its just that generally only very experienced dog owners, who want to work their dogs, get a working breed dog, from working lines. This is because its so easy to run into problems when you make the normal mistakes that all first time (and second time, and third time!) dog owners make :)

I get the feeling you have a dream about what owning a working line Dobe and what that will be like. But you have to be prepared that things may not turn out the way you imagine.

Would you consider getting a dog that could "teach you the ropes" and look toward having enough skill, knowledge and experience, to have a working line dobe one day? :)

JoeK   

If the posty here is liking the Dobe and has dedication for raising is puppy properly and is willing to get in the trainer to teach the good behavior if he having handling problems on the dog, there is no reason why he shouldnt be buying the dog he wants, plenty of new owner having the pup from scratch and raise with dedication the working dog do beautiful job and learn very much is ok, not every new owner is idiot and starting out with working dog with good energy makes a better owner and trainer than starting out with sooky dog with easier handling.

But, is depending on the dedication of the posty here to raising the pup properly and the working dog is a daily commitment for exercise and most important is the training for good behavior and control. Can't be leaving working dog for Sunday morning little bit of training and exercise, is every day and every minute with the dog you teach him something is part of the deal new owner must be understanding.

Joe