Sign in to follow this  
dobieboy

I Am Looking For A Reliable Doberman Breeder?

103 posts in this topic

You would be hard pressed to find a 50kg Dobe.

Perhaps a Rotty would be more suitable if you want such a heavy dog?

No, not hard pressed really - there are a few breeders who have males over 30 Inches and boast around 50 kgs - some say they have bitches at 50 kgs.

Our biggest boy is 28 Inches and sits on around 42 kgs, he comes down from Argentinian / Brazilian lines - he is a big boned well muscled dog but I wouldn't want him any bigger. He has a fantastic temperament, willing to please, pliable, happy go lucky, will step up when required and is definately built to do the job the dobermann was bred for. He is a multi BIG Winner but he is too much for some judges - especially those who want to see the generic showdog.

Remember that the Dobermann was developed as a guard / protection dog - their job would be to run down a man weighing 130kgs, grab them and hold them until their handler caught up and took control. How many dobermanns do you see that could do their intended job ?? Not many - especially males - alot of the dogs are smaller than the bitches atm and that is not right - dogs around 25 inch are not correct.

Remember that the Dobermann was developed as a guard / protection dog - their job would be to run down a man weighing 130kgs,

Having difficulties believing there were very many 130kg men in Europe in the 1800's...............

Remember that the Dobermann was developed as a guard / protection dog - their job would be to run down a man weighing 130kgs,

Having difficulties believing there were very many 130kg men in Europe in the 1800's...............

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

100kg man running with 30kg of stolen goods???

JoeK   

No, not hard pressed really - there are a few breeders who have males over 30 Inches and boast around 50 kgs - some say they have bitches at 50 kgs.

Our biggest boy is 28 Inches and sits on around 42 kgs, he comes down from Argentinian / Brazilian lines - he is a big boned well muscled dog but I wouldn't want him any bigger. He has a fantastic temperament, willing to please, pliable, happy go lucky, will step up when required and is definately built to do the job the dobermann was bred for. He is a multi BIG Winner but he is too much for some judges - especially those who want to see the generic showdog.

Remember that the Dobermann was developed as a guard / protection dog - their job would be to run down a man weighing 130kgs, grab them and hold them until their handler caught up and took control. How many dobermanns do you see that could do their intended job ?? Not many - especially males - alot of the dogs are smaller than the bitches atm and that is not right - dogs around 25 inch are not correct.

Many breeders of the working dog is liking to think the breedings can do the work the dog is originally bred for ok.

I ask please, your Dobies have Schutzhund titles and critiques or any active police dogs for verification of working standards? I asking this as many breeders of the German Shepherd Dog say this too and when testing the dog on courage you finding most are useless, was just interested on the Dobe as is very difficult to finding Dobe on this day strong enough in the mind for protection training?

Joe

raineth   

plenty of new owner having the pup from scratch and raise with dedication the working dog do beautiful job and learn very much is ok, not every new owner is idiot

Joe

and plenty of new owners haven't - and I know which one I've seen more of.

I don't like your use of the word idiot.

Is that what you think if you see someone who is having a behaviour problem with their dog, that they are an idiot?

JoeK   

plenty of new owner having the pup from scratch and raise with dedication the working dog do beautiful job and learn very much is ok, not every new owner is idiot

Joe

Is that what you think if you see someone who is having a behaviour problem with their dog, that they are an idiot?

No, is the assuming a new owner wont raise the dog properly so shouldnt buy one yes? Idiot is person who buys the working dog, leave him in the backyard to cause a riot and doesnt train or exercise the dog for his needs, that is idiot owning working dog for my opinion, but some of the best dedication to learn the working dog and the training are the new owner, so because someone is new to the working dog and has right outlook for learning and raising is sometimes good thing and I would not discouraging new owner like that to buy a working dog, we all have to start some place with limits on the knowledge, if nobody give a new person a chance, how do we learn is what my saying is here?

I have once years ago young woman wanting working Shepherd Dog, she had old Poodle was her experience on the dog and nobody would sell her the dog. I talk my friend into selling the pup to her, she was first at training and last to be leaving and never she miss a training night. She train and title that pup 3 times SchH3 trial, I help her get her first working dog was good feeling for her achievment, she was new owner with dedication to deserve a chance, yes!

Joe

Edited by JoeK

:rolleyes: Well 100 + kgs - is that better ?

Well 100 + kgs - is that better ?

:o being the average height of men in the 1800's was around 5ft 4 ins. P'raps not .... Them's that weighed over 100 kg would have been the wealthy ones who could afford to sit and eat!

Many breeders of the working dog is liking to think the breedings can do the work the dog is originally bred for ok.

I ask please, your Dobies have Schutzhund titles and critiques or any active police dogs for verification of working standards? I asking this as many breeders of the German Shepherd Dog say this too and when testing the dog on courage you finding most are useless, was just interested on the Dobe as is very difficult to finding Dobe on this day strong enough in the mind for protection training?

Joe

Appologies if I have read your post wrong but they are a bit hard to read.

SCH & IPO titles are not legal in Victoria so no :). We have dogs with BH (Temp test) as this is as high as we can legally compete under the ANKC and as I choose to be a part of the ANKC I forfiet the chance to go into SCH / IPO. We were fortunate enough to have Brian McClaren assess our dogs and he was impressed with their overall working ability / nerve strength / stability etc etc but most of all he was impressed with their conformation / beauty as he used to say :). I think he was suprised that 'show dogs' could do what they could. So while we have no 'working dog' titles we are more than happy to have his blessing on where we are heading. Since his loss I believe we have improved on temperament and working ability.

raineth   

Joe

No, is the assuming a new owner wont raise the dog properly so shouldnt buy one yes? Idiot is person who buys the working dog, leave him in the backyard to cause a riot and doesnt train or exercise the dog for his needs, that is idiot owning working dog for my opinion, but some of the best dedication to learn the working dog and the training are the new owner, so because someone is new to the working dog and has right outlook for learning and raising is sometimes good thing and I would not discouraging new owner like that to buy a working dog, we all have to start some place with limits on the knowledge, if nobody give a new person a chance, how do we learn is what my saying is here?

I have once years ago young woman wanting working Shepherd Dog, she had old Poodle was her experience on the dog and nobody would sell her the dog. I talk my friend into selling the pup to her, she was first at training and last to be leaving and never she miss a training night. She train and title that pup 3 times SchH3 trial, I help her get her first working dog was good feeling for her achievment, she was new owner with dedication to deserve a chance, yes!

Joe

there is a difference between possible and sensible.

Yes I do assume that the OP will make mistakes with his first dog. Afterall he is human. People make mistakes training their dogs; even their second and third dogs. Although maybe Joe doesn't because he is perfect :p

Can we please not use the word "idiot"? I really don't like that. I feel that the way you have used that implies that I think the OP is one. And I don't, I just think he is like everyone else and will make mistakes. I just generally think that mistakes in training a working line Dobe would be a lot less forgiving than in many other breeds.

JoeK   

Joe

Appologies if I have read your post wrong but they are a bit hard to read.

SCH & IPO titles are not legal in Victoria so no :). We have dogs with BH (Temp test) as this is as high as we can legally compete under the ANKC and as I choose to be a part of the ANKC I forfiet the chance to go into SCH / IPO. We were fortunate enough to have Brian McClaren assess our dogs and he was impressed with their overall working ability / nerve strength / stability etc etc but most of all he was impressed with their conformation / beauty as he used to say :). I think he was suprised that 'show dogs' could do what they could. So while we have no 'working dog' titles we are more than happy to have his blessing on where we are heading. Since his loss I believe we have improved on temperament and working ability.

The BH is very good testing for soundness of mind and weeds out fear biters and poor temperament, weak and nervous dogs probably all working breeds should be passing this test on the breed survey I think.

The Schutzhund title means the dog has faced experienced decoys and has a log book for his trials, is not the title that is counting so much, is the dog has been worked and the decoys know the character on the dog. You can tell easy on the decoy if the dog has courage and fighting drive and which dogs you can run off the field under pressure and the sport of Schutzhund is not about running dogs off the field in a tail tuck, is about playing a game, but in protection training is about pushing the dog into defence drive to see what hes got in his character on high pressure is what is the making on a police dog to fighting the bad guy.

Plenty people say the Schutzhund title doesnt mean the dog will protect for true, and that is correct yes, but the decoy who work these dogs know and when a dog is Schutzhund titled, you ask the decoys what the dog is like and they tell you, yes little bit weak, or the dog is courageous like a bull. The decoy also know what lines produce courage and what lines dont is how you find protection dogs from the Schutzhund title, yes?.

When you have the breeders mate work the dog in the backyard and tell you hes ripper dog, he can tell you anything you wanting to hear is where the bull happens with untitled working dogs, so having little chat on this subject of the working title is not the Schutzhund title because you can train weak dogs for high sport scoring, is the history of the dog worked by many decoys is what tells the story of the character, because the decoy is the people knowing what the dog is like for real.

Joe

moosmum   

I agree with JoeK,

Some of the best owners I have known have been 1st time owners,and are setting a great example for other owners regardless of breed.

Dobieboy,

Don't write off some of the breeders listed here.I had a terrible time trying to find what i wanted,but there are several people here on DOL I would be very happy to contact if i were looking again.

As Bisart said,its hard to get your dogs "proven" in any real way under ANKC,and most security people won't touch them now so its a catch 22 situation,but there some doing their best to preserve the temperament and intelligence that Dobes were famous for.

I don't think the purely working line breeders always have it right either anymore.

Many seem to be concentrating on the high prey drives.Personaly,I don't think thats desirable in a personal protection dog.Maybe for security where training in drive is ingrained and the dog is going to get a lot of stimulating work most days,as well as the ongoing training. Do your own research and form your own opinions not just on whats said,but what you see.

Best to contact several breeders and talk about your goals,what you can provide etc.See what trhey say before you set your sights on any one breeder.It wouldn't hurt to go to some shows and see more examples of whats out there and get a feel for them and some tips along the way.

Its not some thing to go into lightly,but If you are willing to work at it and train responsibly,talk to the breeders and see what they think. be honest with those you speak with and hope they will be honest with you and offer ongoing help and advise.

Edited by moosmum

Red Fox   

I agree with JoeK,

Some of the best owners I have known have been 1st time owners,and are setting a great example for other owners regardless of breed.

Dobieboy,

Don't write off some of the breeders listed here.I had a terrible time trying to find what i wanted,but there are several people here on DOL I would be very happy to contact if i were looking again.

As Bisart said,its hard to get your dogs "proven" in any real way under ANKC,and most security people won't touch them now so its a catch 22 situation,but there some doing their best to preserve the temperament and intelligence that Dobes were famous for.

I don't think the purely working line breeders always have it right either anymore.

Many seem to be concentrating on the high prey drives.Personaly,I don't think thats desirable in a personal protection dog.Maybe for security where training in drive is ingrained and the dog is going to get a lot of stimulating work most days,as well as the ongoing training. Do your own research and form your own opinions not just on whats said,but what you see.

Best to contact several breeders and talk about your goals,what you can provide etc.See what trhey say before you set your sights on any one breeder.It wouldn't hurt to go to some shows and see more examples of whats out there and get a feel for them and some tips along the way.

Its not some thing to go into lightly,but If you are willing to work at it and train responsibly,talk to the breeders and see what they think. be honest with those you speak with and hope they will be honest with you and offer ongoing help and advise.

:thumbsup:

Ali   

I think if your after a trophy, go to your local trophy shop and have them make you one, They also look good and you dont have to feed it, excersice it or worry about it getting out of your display cabinet....

THERE! I said it! :bottom:

dobieboy   

Thanks for the advice. I've pretty much settled on Valleygem. They will be breeding Valleygem Spice with hundesport diablo or aldEcrest danzik.

nabs   

Thanks for the advice. I've pretty much settled on Valleygem. They will be breeding Valleygem Spice with hundesport diablo or aldEcrest danzik.

Also remember Dobes are suspect to a few health conditions. Cardio needs to be checked for annually (no dog can be cardiac free)VWB is also a problem.