Sign in to follow this  
dobieboy

I Am Looking For A Reliable Doberman Breeder?

103 posts in this topic

Red Fox   

I think if your after a trophy, go to your local trophy shop and have them make you one, They also look good and you dont have to feed it, excersice it or worry about it getting out of your display cabinet....

THERE! I said it! :bottom:

You're joking right? :rolleyes:

Someone comes on here seeking more information on working line dogs of a certain "look" and you automatically presume they are looking for a "trophy"?

Where did the OP state they were not willing to put in the time, money and effort required? What makes you think that this person is incapable of raising a well balanced dog?

Nekhbet   

Unless you want to actually work your dog I would not be aiming for a pup out of Hundesport Diablo. As for most of ValleyGem dogs they would not be something I would recommend to you at all. From the sound of your routine too a working drive puppy is going to shred the place, cause a lot of havoc and bite you quite a lot - no breeder will hand you a working line pup and go 'yep mate, ready to go it's not going to nip you at all!" from 8 weeks of age.

You need to start researching Dobes a little better. I think working breeds in general.

These heavier dogs simply have a larger chest and are oly 1-3cm taller than their lighter counterparts. They don't have joint/hip problems unless they are run on concrete whilst still puppies or overworked.

Sorry but whoever told you this is blowing wind up your arse. There are plenty of oversized hulking working dobes that have joint problems from genetics then being run on concrete. As for their claim of 50-60kg that is the range of my Dogue de Bordeaux - a mastiff. Not a Dobermann. Bigger is not always better especially if you want to work the dog. Bigger if you want a hulking great male that does manwork and decimates the decoy, maybe. I would want to see the working lifespan of any lines I take that are much larger then average though. All very well living into the teens if the actual working life is not even half that.

I would definately say you need a NON working line. Nothing with Schutzdobe, Hundesport, Von Forell, etc in it or anything bred for high drive. I have two working line bitches, allbeit of a different breed but I can tell you they are a full time job in themselves. Even an hour of work on my busy days is nothing for my 9 month old.

Start with the advice of someone like http://www.fireaxdobes.com/fireax.html if you want a good all round dobermann.

During the day, the dog will be in a large pen which will be connected to its metal crate. When I get home I will play with it for 10 minutes, give it it's second meal, take it to the toilet, then bring it inside and after 1/2 an hour take it down to the park for an hour an twenty minutes or so. The dog will be inside just about whenever I am home and I plan on training it to ring a bell when it need to go to the toilet. I may do agility with him when he is older. Would you recomend me getting a non-working line doberman with the amount of excersize I can provide?

Absolutely, Yes.

Apologies if you already knew, but you can't run a large breed puppy for an hour and twenty minutes.

I also think that amount of exercise is the minimum for an active young working breed dog (that is over 12 months).

I have a 15 month old non working line labrador that requires 3 hours of exercise and at least 30 mins of training each day to be happy and non annoying/destructive.

I can only imagine what a high prey drive, wokring line dog would need to keep them happy :laugh:

A lady at agility with a working line Border Collie told me she spends all day exercising her dog so that it will sleep at night :eek:

Please consider what Nekhbet has said but whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck with your new puppy.

Nekhbet   

I exercise my dog and it still doesnt sleep at night ... there is the occasional 2am wake up call of a toy to the face when she's not tired enough and two beady eyes peeking just over the doona like ... throw it ... come on ... I've got another 4 hours of play left in me :rofl:

it's an experience I tell you and not for the faint hearted.

MonElite   

Unless you want to actually work your dog I would not be aiming for a pup out of Hundesport Diablo. As for most of ValleyGem dogs they would not be something I would recommend to you at all. From the sound of your routine too a working drive puppy is going to shred the place, cause a lot of havoc and bite you quite a lot - no breeder will hand you a working line pup and go 'yep mate, ready to go it's not going to nip you at all!" from 8 weeks of age.

You need to start researching Dobes a little better. I think working breeds in general.

These heavier dogs simply have a larger chest and are oly 1-3cm taller than their lighter counterparts. They don't have joint/hip problems unless they are run on concrete whilst still puppies or overworked.

Sorry but whoever told you this is blowing wind up your arse. There are plenty of oversized hulking working dobes that have joint problems from genetics then being run on concrete. As for their claim of 50-60kg that is the range of my Dogue de Bordeaux - a mastiff. Not a Dobermann. Bigger is not always better especially if you want to work the dog. Bigger if you want a hulking great male that does manwork and decimates the decoy, maybe. I would want to see the working lifespan of any lines I take that are much larger then average though. All very well living into the teens if the actual working life is not even half that.

I would definately say you need a NON working line. Nothing with Schutzdobe, Hundesport, Von Forell, etc in it or anything bred for high drive. I have two working line bitches, allbeit of a different breed but I can tell you they are a full time job in themselves. Even an hour of work on my busy days is nothing for my 9 month old.

Start with the advice of someone like http://www.fireaxdobes.com/fireax.html if you want a good all round dobermann.

Where is the like button??

Except the last line, you bloody traitor :provoke::walkdog:

Yes I agree wiht Nekhbet, no working line puppy for a first time dobe owner. Good all around dog, there are several breeders that breed for a variety of sports and great family pets that WILL protect a family home.

Re size I have dobes that are a combination of European, American, Australian dogs, show and work and my females are considered VERY big, often spoken about as males, and they are 38 kg, not fat, when overweight they do get to 40 but that is with spare rolls of "goodness" around them, thats not needed.

Edited by MonElite

Nekhbet   

I hereby recommend the OP harasses Monelite mwahahaha

I thought you probably dont have a litter due any time soon woman. But one of Monelites dogs is something to get for sure, I nearly succumbed myself this year ...

MonElite   

Lol no need for th OP to harass me and true I'm not planning on having a litter any time soon.

Plus OP would have to pass my very strict selection criteria as a future owner and from what's written here I'd say no thanks. It might be the case of someone with unrealistic expectation to which I can not deliver. Imagine if the dog would end up only 43kg! Guaranteed return ;P

MonElite   

I had a look at the Hundesport Diablo litter that Von Liston are having. Hundesport Dioblo is the father of the mother of those puppies and he is the father of those puppies. Im not a fan of close breedings, but that is a super close inbred of a father and daughter breeding.

I also look at all the advertising some breeders have. Gotta love some of the statements. :)

And I look and look for some titles that those working line dogs have and cant find any. Where is the proof of thier training, their abilities to track, their calm full grips in bite work?

Ali   

Great replies all round,

Nekhbet very good advise, I think sometimes you get a feel for someone who truley wants a working dog and is ready to put in the effort and someone who is kidding themselves.

I had a not to message you actually about a post you made a long while back about doing some bite work with a Cane Corso...I recently have a quired a pup and it mayb e appropriate to do some work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/leerburg#p/search/0/yXqNl5bTCMU

this is for anyone who wants a working line dog and thinks its just going to be like an average dog.

Looks like a normal puppy to me :shrug:

I would even say my puppy was worse! She learnt to open her pen on day 2 I think it was. Then I had to tether her to my body or desk to keep her under semi- control.

She would have decimated that box in the video, I thought it was rather good the puppy didn't totally destroy it!

She ripped holes in my some of my pants from latching onto my leg and playing tug.

She bit me, constantly wanted to mouth everything.

Absolutely the worst puppy in puppy school, she was psycho and would not relax, even when all the other puppies were laying happily on their owners laps, mine was barking, and trying to jump out of my arms- very embarrasing.

The only reason she wasn't kicked out was because the teacher had a soft spot for black labs.

Slept for like 5 hours only. Would bark, cry, howl for up to 3 hrs each night and then spend the remainder destroying the stuff in her crate (until I moved her to my bedroom- FAIL :D ).

I was so jealous when people would post on DOL wondering if it was normal for their puppy to sleep so much!

I was totally unprepared for such a little horror! I imagined I would be getting a lovely placid lab puppy like you see in the toilet paper and guide dog ads :rofl:

I guess the difference might be that the Mal puppy is going to be like that forever :laugh: where as my puppy has actually turned out to be a reasonably normal dog (still requires alot of exercise and training though).

Now I kind of wish she was more drivey... :laugh:

I'm actually thinking of getting a working line puppy in the future...

Edited by aussielover

Nekhbet   

thats what my adult Malinois did to the whole interior of my commodore wagon to the bare metal AND pulled the spare tyre out of the wheel well.

I think the point of that video is that working line pups are like that most if not all the time. AAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the time ... all the time ... until you're bleary eyed and scar ridden :rofl:

Edited by Nekhbet

Red Fox   

thats what my adult Malinois did to the whole interior of my commodore wagon to the bare metal AND pulled the spare tyre out of the wheel well.

I think the point of that video is that working line pups are like that most if not all the time. AAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the time ... all the time ... until you're bleary eyed and scar ridden :rofl:

:rofl: Car interior = the best toy ever!

I must be mental - I'm looking forward to it :o:laugh:

wuffles   

Looks like a normal puppy to me :shrug:

Didn't you say that Mindy requires 3 hours of exercise a day? I know that energy and drive don't necessarily correlate but she doesn't sound at all like a low drive dog to me.

I would say my Ava sits somewhere in the middle when it comes to drive level and she was a little bit annoying as a puppy but not like the one in the video. Yes, she'd rip up a box, but she was quite happy just to follow us around the house and annoy our older dog (not by barking at him like in the video, just following him and pawing at him and rolling in front of him and being a general nitwit). But if he went to sleep and ignored her for a few minutes... she'd just curl up next to him and sleep. I don't see the video pup doing that :p

Ava has boundless energy as an adult but is happy with a 45 minute walk plus a bit of training each day. I'm home sick today, she hasn't had a walk and is fast asleep on my feet - a high drive dog would probably be shoving a toy in my face while I try to snooze, or demolishing the house.

http://www.youtube.com/user/leerburg#p/search/0/yXqNl5bTCMU

this is for anyone who wants a working line dog and thinks its just going to be like an average dog.

Love this - it is a great video :clap: - the one line that Mr Frawley says that resonates with me is along the lines of "Ethical Breeders Will Not Sell A Puppy Like This To A First Time Owner".

How old is Ava?

I wish Mindy could go a day without a walk! Maybe she'll get better as she gets older.

Does she Ava play with Satch if you can't walk her?

Mindy is what I would call a medium-high energy dog. Not sure about her drive, but she's not a really high drive dog like some of the herding breed dogs you see.

She needs a lot of exercise and training but not sure if thats because we've just indulged her, thus making her super fit and super needy :laugh:

She's definitely matured and chilled with age and training, but as I said, she was as bad, if not worse that the puppy in the video when we first got her.

wuffles   

How old is Ava?

I wish Mindy could go a day without a walk! Maybe she'll get better as she gets older.

Does she Ava play with Satch if you can't walk her?

She's 19 months. She has been this calm since about 9 months old. She plays with Satch but only on his terms :laugh: I always try to walk her before work because if she gets no exercise and is left to her own devices she gets into mischief. Then again, so does Satch, and he's a very low drive 6 year old.

I see some high drive dogs come through our obedience club in the pet classes and think, "that dog would be great to train!" when their owners are obviously struggling. But then I think more about it and realise I wouldn't like a dog to be like that 24/7... turning it on for a 1 hour training session then turning it back off again ain't an option :p

I am looking for a reliable doberman breeder?

I don't want to show a good working line dog that would weigh over 50kg (male) as an adult. Does anyone know of any good breeders in Australia or any one overseas that deals with Australia as well. Or of any good websites to visit? As a first time dog owner should I only buy the puppy from a breeder that does basic training, crate/toilet training and teaches them not to bite or jump on the owner.

I have currently narrowed my search down to

Valleygem My link

Von Liston My link

Has anyone had experience with these breeders or can they give any advice on other breeders. I am looking at paying between $1500-$2500. By the way I live in QLD so probably wouldn't be driving down further than VIC.

I own a 5nth old bitch from valleygem litter dunjya v mickee. Could not be happier with her looks temperament and health.

Their website tells a lot, but give Cheryl a call or email as she is very helpful and knowledgeable. I picked up my pup from Paul henson at von roth but think you'll find that Cheryl will ask for handover at her place. That way she can do training with you.

Paul henson is also a good information source.

I would be very cautious of other von kennel in vic based on

personal experience.