What's Wrong With Horse?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Well, you did accuse me of leaning on him. Even for a perfectly healthy dog that'd be a bad idea.

I've spent the last 20mins trying to give him yoghurt, first refusal of food I've seen from him, I even offered it off my spoon, he turned his head and started cleaning the cat with drool.

I've ordered 2 huge bags of Uncle Alber, to be delivered on Thursday. Horse can finish the chicken mince with egg mix, my rats can have the tinned food and the cats can have the mince.

Is it ok if I still give him a carrot and chook necks as treats/stuff to chew on?

Woah!!!!!! you have rats. Have the dog tested for Leptospirosis. It can be caught off rats.

Edited by oakway

Seriously Uncle Albers at this stage is like feeding MacDonalds. Just because he might gain weight on it it doesn't mean it's good for him. He poos a lot already, a cheap dog food 'aint going to fix that!

To start with I would continue feeding your regular diet and add the Uncle Albers as a side dish. Can you leave a bowl out for him to graze on. If he doesnt take to it you may have to mix it with the tin or mince you are using.

My dog who passed away recently was a very thin dog all her life.I basically feed her a variety of fat foods. She would only eat her dry food with a bit of milk added to it. The aim is to put weight on asap. Good luck.

Seriously Uncle Albers at this stage is like feeding MacDonalds. Just because he might gain weight on it it doesn't mean it's good for him. He poos a lot already, a cheap dog food 'aint going to fix that!

Seriously Clyde, I feed my top wining dogs Uncle Albers. You feed what suits your dogs. Let the OP try and see, then if it is not the food for Horse they can change.

I suggest that most people learn to read the formula then make a judgement. We suggest that a product with grains well down the list of ingredients may be very suitable.

Also people remember we have many dog lovers on limited incomes and can not afford to feed a product in the $80 to a $100 price mark and still have less weight in the bag compared to other cheaper brands.

Also many dogs live very well on many products that you or I may not think of purchasing. :)

How can anyone think many small meals=underfeeding him? he eats 1.5kgs of food a day!!

I could feed my dog 5kgs of pumpkin a day. Just because he eats 5kgs of it doesn't mean his body isn't being starved of nutrition leading to massive weight loss. Fillers do exactly that, fill you up and give you little to no nutrition for it.

Honestly if I had your dog, other than taking it to a good vet to see if there are any underlying diseases, etc. I would be feeding him at lib [leaving a decent amount of good dry food out at all times] to allow the dog to regulate its food and put some weight back on. Once he has reached a better wieght then go back to feeding him a few times a day.

I am absolutely horrified at the condition of that dog, especially that it is supposed to be an assistance dog. I am not at all surprised the RSPCA have been around to check him out-I am surprised they didn't take him off of you! If I ever saw someone's dog like that I would report them.

You need to wake up to reality, stop make excuses especially ones with are anatomically impossible! There are a number of vets and vet nurses on this site...they know the anatomy of a dog! [Guess where the human stomach is...oh within the ribcage! Fancy that]

Your dog is STARVING on the diet it is on. Something NEEDS to change!

No one is going to condemn you a bad owner if you listen to the advice given and act accordingly for the dogs benefit. However, denying the obvious and letting your poor dog suffer...:mad

Here is a little visual for you. All these dogs are thin/emaciated due to starving/inadequete nutrition.

a843ccc0-9116-495d-8f11-f5c09dfa3b1b.jpg

sadie_1.jpg

Great-Dane.jpg

5-6-11_EmaciatedDogs_KinshipCircle.jpg

emaciated%20labrador.JPG

All these are either cruelty cases or street dogs. Most people look at these with horror and wonder how someone could do this to a dog.

You are currently unintentionally doing this to your dog. Your dog will end up looking like these or worse dead, if you do not fix his diet.

Edited by Ravyk

Guest english.ivy

Seriously Clyde, I feed my top wining dogs Uncle Albers. You feed what suits your dogs. Let the OP try and see, then if it is not the food for Horse they can change.

I suggest that most people learn to read the formula then make a judgement. We suggest that a product with grains well down the list of ingredients may be very suitable.

Also people remember we have many dog lovers on limited incomes and can not afford to feed a product in the $80 to a $100 price mark and still have less weight in the bag compared to other cheaper brands.

Also many dogs live very well on many products that you or I may not think of purchasing. :)

See bolded as above. Cheap food isn't always a good thing, esp for a dog in that state.

As everyone has said, the dogs current diet is horrible.

How can anyone think many small meals=underfeeding him? he eats 1.5kgs of food a day!!

I could feed my dog 5kgs of pumpkin a day. Just because he eats 5kgs of it doesn't mean his body isn't being starved of nutrition leading to massive weight loss. Fillers do exactly that, fill you up and give you little to no nutrition for it.

Honestly if I had your dog, other than taking it to a good vet to see if there are any underlying diseases, etc. I would be feeding him at lib [leaving a decent amount of good dry food out at all times] to allow the dog to regulate its food and put some weight back on. Once he has reached a better wieght then go back to feeding him a few times a day.

I am absolutely horrified at the condition of that dog, especially that it is supposed to be an assistance dog. I am not at all surprised the RSPCA have been around to check him out-I am surprised they didn't take him off of you! If I ever saw someone's dog like that I would report them.

You need to wake up to reality, stop make excuses especially ones with are anatomically impossible! There are a number of vets and vet nurses on this site...they know the anatomy of a dog! [Guess where the human stomach is...oh within the ribcage! Fancy that]

No one is going to condemn you a bad owner if you listen to the advice given and act accordingly for the dogs benefit. However, denying the obvious and letting your poor dog suffer...:mad

:clap: Well said.

I agree, you have been given some wonderful advice on this forum from some well informed people.

If its coming out the back end undigested it means there is a medical issue to address

But is it really? Carrots will go through a dog in chunks, does not mean the dog has a digestion problem.

Looks like they had blood work done and will be back friday, if all comes back ok then what? Don't forget they have had the dog since he was 18 months old - he is now 3 1/2 YO.

Edited: spelling?

Edited by Andisa

if all comes back ok then what?

Then I would think the dog has been on a diet insufficient for his needs for some time .

slight OT - an assistance dog who will scale a 6 ft fence ?....... Hmmmm .If you got this dog with the assistance of a particular group - they are not being very thorough in their assessment/training .If, as I suspect - you have done this 'on the cheap' and on your own - then you need to do it properly and contact professionals.

It is the dog who is suffering from your lack of knowledge.

Horse 2008, please read this then reread it! Especially the bolded part. Provided the vet check is clear, the only issue this dog has is you and your unwillingess to consider that you've got his diet very wrong.

It's great you've ordered some different food though, I hope you take the advice from this thread and completely rethink your ideas about dog nutrition.