What's Wrong With Horse?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop feeding your dog 5 times a day. that's ridiculous.. as is your claim that his ribs prevent him from digesting food like a normal dog.

Feeding so frequently has taught his body to metabolise his food very quickly. (when people diet they eat small, frequent meals to teach their body to burn faster, therefore, losing weight)..

2 meals per day of a PUPPY FOOD, mince AND chicken frames

I would think that whoever reported you for feeding your dog inadequately.. was spot on.

Listen to the advice you've been given.

otherwise, you are simply being a troll and trying to upset people on purpose.

When I exercise my Heeler A LOT I have to try and maintain her weight by giving her two meals a day and the best product I came across to keep her weight on was Eagle pack- working dog (I think in the orange bag). As this is a high end food it doesn't have fillers so she doesn't poo that much considering how much I feed her. When she's not doing as much I feed her once per day and I have her on Eagle Pack- adult so she doesn't stack on the weight.

Edited by animalia

Too skinny.

More calories (aka puppy food), more protein, less filler. Plenty of good advice here and stacks on the internet.

I'm confused by the stuff about his ribs and build stopping him digesting - who told you that?? It makes no sense unless I'm being specially dense. :o He looks like a standard underweight dog to me.

Yes you do get dogs who fail to gain weight and you may well own one with a metabolic or food sensitivity issue but that needs veterinary help not advice from a forum.

horse 2008, if you're not taking heed of the advice given in this thread then you only have yourself to blame for your dog's condition --- and your dog is already suffering...

has the vet talked to you about your dog's thyroid? canine hyperthyroidism

One of the most common and most noticeable symptoms of canine hyperthyroidism is weight loss despite an unusually ravenous appetite. If your pet is eating more than normal and yet seems to be getting thinner and thinner, you should have him or her checked out for this endocrine condition. Sometimes dogs with this disease will eat so quickly that they end up vomiting. Some pets may also experience diarrhea. Also, excessive thirst may accompany the characteristic voracious appetite.

pm erny for details on having the bloods sent to dr jean dodds in the states.

good luck in your endeavours :)

I think everyone, that you're simply flogging a dead Horse. The OP hasn't been back for some time....

I just had a look and the OP was Last Active: Jul 18 2011 12:42 AM

With a bit of luck he/she is still reading the replies and taking the advise given :crossfingers:

I was under the impression that with EIC they dont actually lose consciousness though??

Not to mention that EIC rarely occurs without heavy exercise . . . most affected dogs (ie, dogs with a double dose of the faulty gene) are never symptomatic.

I wouldn't worry about the long rib cage / short coupling. Labs are supposed to be short coupled, and it generally doesn't interfere with their packing on weight.

I agree with others about no more than two meals a day and cutting the canned . . . especially catfood. Chicken mince is fine, especially if it was made for dogs (includes bones) and you don't cook it. Then either going the raw food . . . or quality dry food route . . . or some combination. If you dog is happy eating carrots, he is hungry. You are starving him.

Personally, I'd correct the diet first . . . if that goes nowhere, I'd work with a good vet.

If its coming out the back end undigested it means there is a medical issue to address

But is it really? Carrots will go through a dog in chunks, does not mean the dog has a digestion problem.

Sorry to butt in here and take this slightly OT to something I've been curious about with my own dog. Carrots coming out in chunks the other end after ingestion I can understand. They have a 'woody' nature to them and dogs (I believe) don't have the enzymes to begin the 'break-down' of vegetables, which is why we normally talk about beginning the process by freezing and defrosting; using a blender or juicer etc.

But something that surprised me a bit was when I gave my boy some cooked peas as an "extra" (treat) and noticed that many of them came through whole after passing through the digestive system. Only difference was that they looked a little older and slightly more wrinkled. But I admit I didn't expect them to pass quite so untouched.

I too did think this pointed to digestive issues that I yet haven't uncovered (most would know I've been working on this for a long time). But I'd like to put my musing up here so someone might tell me that the passing of whole cooked peas could also be a normal and expected occurrence ???

But something that surprised me a bit was when I gave my boy some cooked peas as an "extra" (treat) and noticed that many of them came through whole after passing through the digestive system. Only difference was that they looked a little older and slightly more wrinkled. But I admit I didn't expect them to pass quite so untouched.

I too did think this pointed to digestive issues that I yet haven't uncovered (most would know I've been working on this for a long time). But I'd like to put my musing up here so someone might tell me that the passing of whole cooked peas could also be a normal and expected occurrence ???

Nope, not an issue - it's the skin... He would've swallowed most of them whole and the skin isn't digestible = whole peas out the other end. If you swallow peas whole the same thing will happen to you! This will happen with anything with a tough outer skin, so a lot of legumes, corn, etc. So even cooked things like that will need mashing. So it was perfectly normal :)

Edited by zayda_asher

Nope, not an issue - it's the skin... He would've swallowed most of them whole and the skin isn't digestible = whole peas out the other end. If you swallow peas whole the same thing will happen to you! This will happen with anything with a tough outer skin, so a lot of legumes, corn, etc. So even cooked things like that will need mashing. So it was perfectly normal :)

Thank you ZA. Didn't think about the outer skin :rolleyes:. Will mash it next time. :)

Re: peas that makes a lot of sense, our old dog loved his veges and always got veges (left overs ) with his nightly meal and my OH always commented on the poop patrol about the whole peas! :laugh: another funny thing was our old boy never ate caulie, we would even try to disguise it and it would be the only thing left in the bowl every time, untouched!

• 1 month later...

Sorry people...

The mince he was eating was chicken mince, for feeding to racing greyhounds. He is now eating puppy mince(3 meals a day of about 300g per meal) he still gets 2 or 3 eggs per week and a carrot to chew on.

I don't really like the idea of feeding just anything, be it kibble, mince or anything else. As I see it, dogs are supposed to eat a variety of stuff. What the mince lacks, the egg may fulfill that requirement (and it's funny watching him carry the whole egg to his 'safe to eat spot and then having a good ol' munch!),.

The blood work came back normal, apparently it's just the kind of dog he is.

Sorry people...

The mince he was eating was chicken mince, for feeding to racing greyhounds. He is now eating puppy mince(3 meals a day of about 300g per meal) he still gets 2 or 3 eggs per week and a carrot to chew on.

I don't really like the idea of feeding just anything, be it kibble, mince or anything else. As I see it, dogs are supposed to eat a variety of stuff. What the mince lacks, the egg may fulfill that requirement (and it's funny watching him carry the whole egg to his 'safe to eat spot and then having a good ol' munch!),.

At 900g per day, you're basically feeding the requirements of a 30kg dog. Your dog is underweight at 30kg, so should probably weigh at least 35kg. I would personally calculate his daily ration based on 35kg, which if feeding raw to a dog who appears to have a reasonably high metabolism, would be feeding AT LEAST 1kg food per day, till he is a more adequate weight and then reassess.

Sorry people...

Quality dog food contains "a variety of stuff" - good stuff. Right now you're feeding a variety of stuff and IT ISN'T WORKING because it isnt' balanced.

Your dog's diet is seriously deficient. For pity's sake stop stuffing around and feed him a decent quality kibble and some raw meaty bones.

What you believe is starving your dog. Seriously do the right thing and change his diet or surrender him. It's clear you're not paying any heed to the advice you've been given.

Arrrggghhh. :banghead: That poor bloody dog. :cry:

Edited by poodlefan