Sell Me Your Dog Toys!

Aztec Gold

I have an 11-month-old Golden Retrieve and he has destroyed all the soft toys that we have bought him, he loves them but he loves ripping the stuffing out and it was getting expensive buying him toys only to have him destroy it within hours of getting it..

He too loves the empty coke/milk/whatever plastic bottles, will play with them for hours, especially when he was a baby.

His favourite toys are the moment are:

- A red rubber (same type of rubber as kong and cuz) hippo with a really obnoxious squeaker which he loves

- Green rubber (as above) octopus with squeaker (top right in photo)

T100756_50859.jpg

- Tug toy with green rubber spiky ball thing in the middle, he loves playing tug-o-war and throwing it up in the air and chasing it around the house

He also loves his flat titans rugby ball...

Edited by monique89

The best toys I have ever gotten Lexi....are soft toys from lifeline lol, I go through their bins and find any that don't have hard eyes/noses, that don't have beans as the filling or anything inside that might get stuck (like a music box etc), I fill up a shopping basket and they only charge me like $3 for the lot!!! who cares if they get destroyed because they cost next to nothing, they're her favourites by far

The best toys I have ever gotten Lexi....are soft toys from lifeline lol, I go through their bins and find any that don't have hard eyes/noses, that don't have beans as the filling or anything inside that might get stuck (like a music box etc), I fill up a shopping basket and they only charge me like $3 for the lot!!! who cares if they get destroyed because they cost next to nothing, they're her favourites by far

Yeah I think this is a great idea too but whenever I go to oppy's and have a look I can never find any without eyes or noses or bean fillings... :(

When I saw the post heading I thought you meant to literally sell you dog toys, and I was going to say that most of ours are chewed and in pieces. But I do have a couple that have outlasted two great danes and a feisty boxer. They are Invincibles (snake with separate sections that squeak, if your dog punctures them they re inflate and never lose their squeak - available from K9Pro and the best $30 I have ever spent), and tugs from Dman tugs. I can also vouch for plastic bottles, treat balls, talking balls (from the US), kongs and kong wobbles for feeding and anything else that makes your pup use their brain and think. This will tire them out more so then physical play.

EDIT: Also, have enough toys so that you can rotate them daily so that your pup does not become bored, as they easily do!

Edited by kazads

The only toys my Lab hasn't managed to destroy in seconds are her Cuz balls and her Chuckit rubber tennis balls - well worth investing in a few so you can rotate them... *grin*

Luckily for me, Trouble can kill the obnoxious squeakers in the Cuz balls within a day or two - but she still loves to chew on them for ages.

Empty toilet rolls and empty paper towel rolls are a big fave also - and they can digest them... lol!

Another vote for empty soft drink bottles - just remove the lids and the plastic ring thing from the neck before giving them to the dog...

T.

Our last two dogs loved soft toys which we got from Lifeline, etc for 50c to $2. Yes they pulled off the eyes and nose but if you are worried just pull them off before giving to the dog.

The current three dogs wont touch the soft toys or anything else we have bought them. Cassie - favourite black plastic tubing ie irrigation pipes, toilet rolls, chux dish cloths. Orsana - just starting to realise black plastic tubing is OK. Cimba - lambswool seat belt protector (once again from op shop)

Strangest dogs I have ever had in relation to toys!!

Yeah I think this is a great idea too but whenever I go to oppy's and have a look I can never find any without eyes or noses or bean fillings... :(

What's wrong with eyes and noses? All of Hugo's soft toys have eyes and/or noses. And can't you just cut them off?

What's wrong with eyes and noses? All of Hugo's soft toys have eyes and/or noses. And can't you just cut them off?

Im guessing its a worry incase the dog chews them off and swollows them.

Yeah my dog destroys soft toys and would likely swallow the eyes or something... my mum just said to try to get ones without the eyes and nose. I could just remove them but that's a lot of effort and would probably result in fraying and then he would just be able to destroy it even quicker...

Mine do nose removals :laugh: And there are a few one-eyed toys floating around. The funny thing is when my grandson was little he chewed the nose off his Care Bear and I had to do some surgery to remove it and stitch him back together. :eek:

Yeah my dog destroys soft toys and would likely swallow the eyes or something... my mum just said to try to get ones without the eyes and nose. I could just remove them but that's a lot of effort and would probably result in fraying and then he would just be able to destroy it even quicker...

This, Id rather find toys that are already suitable then risk a perforated bowel because she ate something she wasn't meant to, those things usually have metal discs behind them to keep their place, its not really something I want her eating

Mon I go to the lifeline at Brendale, they have 4 big bins of toys and you just sort through them, I can usually fill a basket easy enough, most of the toys have individual prices, but if you buy a whole basket they usually just say $3 or $4 for the lot

My slippers. :rolleyes:

They are constantly in my dog's mouth.

If they arent available (ie- they are on my feet :laugh: ), any other shoes or kids toys within reach will do. Just to carry.

Goldies are very mouthy. From what I can work out (I've only had the one and not as a pup), some are destructive, some not and just like to "hold" things.

Mine is pretty good, she mostly only holds things. But after a spate of mail that got chewed (including a new credit card! :eek: ) I always leave her with a few items to occupy her when I leave her alone. She isn't into toys so much, but I leave her with some kibble tucked into toilet rolls and a beef ear.

Aside from that, she is mad for fetch, so softish, solid balls (I get mine from the kids sport section in kmart) that fit into the chuck-it are win in our house. Oh and they must be bright coloured- its a pain to lose a ball mid fetch game.

This, Id rather find toys that are already suitable then risk a perforated bowel because she ate something she wasn't meant to, those things usually have metal discs behind them to keep their place, its not really something I want her eating

Mon I go to the lifeline at Brendale, they have 4 big bins of toys and you just sort through them, I can usually fill a basket easy enough, most of the toys have individual prices, but if you buy a whole basket they usually just say $3 or $4 for the lot

I just looked on google maps to see where Brendale is and it's not too far away from me (mitchelton) so I will definitely check it out. Does it have other good stuff too? I like op shopping in general and buying stuff for the house and I don't really need but like the look of :D