Another Prefix Question

Skye2

Beth, you need to apply for the prefix with Dogs Victoria, supply a list of prefixes you want (you can't have one that someone else has), and they send you an exam, along with the reading matter you need to answer the questions.

I did the exam bit first. I did not see the point of applying for a prefix without having passed the exam.

I got my first choice of prefix, I think I was lucky as my first choice was a Finnish work which made it just that little bit harder that it was already in use.

Has anyone ever failed the exam? It's a bit of a no-brainer, they send the answers along with the exam paper.

I wish I had got my first choice, which was Darktown, after my first Aussie (Hevnsent Darktown Strutter ET) who died this week. It would have been nice to have his name perpetuated in a prefix. But I like the one I got anyway, but don't plan on using it any time soon, if ever.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too got my prefix early this year and too it was my first choice! :)

I did fail the first exam, as I did not meet the 70% pass rate in one section (Genetics as it was very confusing and the booklet didn't help all that much).

Since I failed, I was sent a second exam to complete with a 70% Pass Rate to pass, and I ended up getting all 10 questions right!

I found the exam, although I am not sure if others agree, but some questions and answers seems conflicting, confusing and ambiguous, but I'm not complaining, but it is nice to have a prefix, one less for me to worry about when it comes to planning a litter.

Yes, they should search worldwide - with that said they also say they will not approve common names, places etc

yet they do. I see it often when updating the database http://www.prefixsearch.com.au

For a newbie like myself wanting to get a prefix, what are the steps? I heard there was a test? I also wouldn't want the same prefix as someone else.

How does one search world-wide to see if a prefix you'd like has been taken? Is it just a question of googling it?

I didn't check anything first and tried to come up with combinations of syllables I liked that meant something to me. Got my fourth choice I think. What I found interesting afterwards, when I was telling people - there is an prefix registered in the US that is very very similar to mine. Mind you - they only took 2 weeks to get back to me after I posted the form off - so figure the search wasn't that extensive..

its so silly that test they give u infomation sheets with all the answers and the test paper so u read thre answers fill in the questions and send it back... waste of time they give u the answers for goodness sake!! hahaha i passed Beth its easy as pie :)

For a newbie like myself wanting to get a prefix, what are the steps? I heard there was a test? I also wouldn't want the same prefix as someone else.

How does one search world-wide to see if a prefix you'd like has been taken? Is it just a question of googling it?

Google it and follow the link i posted above.

Thank you!

l just got my prefix last month, the test was super easy the answers are all there l would be suprised if most people dont pass with 100%. l got my second choice for my prefix which is very close to my mum's prefix and we have the same breed :confused:

Google it and follow the link i posted above.

I've just been having a look at the FCI Kennel Names site - I guess England/UK isn't a member? Because they don't feature - and I can see from some of the names I searched on (very well known British kennels for my breed, Border Terriers) that they aren't there. Forgive my ignorance here - never had to give much thought to these things.....

I am just doing the exam now and although some is very very easy there are some really stupid questions with two possible answers. The exam papers say there is a possibility of 2 correct answers.... what a stupid way to write an exam in my opinion. I am doing the NSW exam which has just recently been re-written. The questions on council regulations are very stupid and the paper they sent with it was not very enlightening. I just downloaded the DPI info and the Companion Dog Act.

• 7 months later...

So in Vic they tell you why it wasn't approved? I've been knocked back on mine and no reason given other than 'ANKC would have their reasons'

Now I know catteries and kennels have nothing in common here, however, the cattery prefix I've had for 16 years has been declined amongst others and I've heard nothing on my appeal that was sent off last year. I combined my dogs names, my name and my dogs names etc I'm at a loss. I don't want to send names willy nilly for fear I'll get something I hate so I really think about the names.

I've also googled, searched FCI and Sways list and none of the ones I submitted show up anywhere.

So in Vic they tell you why it wasn't approved? I've been knocked back on mine and no reason given other than 'ANKC would have their reasons'

Now I know catteries and kennels have nothing in common here, however, the cattery prefix I've had for 16 years has been declined amongst others and I've heard nothing on my appeal that was sent off last year. I combined my dogs names, my name and my dogs names etc I'm at a loss. I don't want to send names willy nilly for fear I'll get something I hate so I really think about the names.

I've also googled, searched FCI and Sways list and none of the ones I submitted show up anywhere.

Beside each of the rejected prefixes it said overseas prefix or too common a word and that is in Victoria. One that was rejected as too common a word was Glyneryk. I can see the reason that. Everybody uses that word ;)

Oh I use Glyneryk everyday, totally understandable......not lol.

No I received nothing at all other than declined in the email, didn't even mention the names I had submitted. I live in NSW.

It's possible it was too close in sound or look to something else.

Try submitting names in other languages, like where your breed originally comes from or your own family history, this seems to work pretty well for some people.

I got very lucky with mine and got first choice, I picked mine from finnish mythology.

Unfortunately for me dogs are Scottish origin and just about everything is taken. I did a lot of research and have even made names up oh well will see what they say this time. I really don't think they can use looks similar or sounds similar etc when they have approved a lot of similar prefixes.

No I did both and still googling everything under the sun. It seems to be very inconsistent though decline some but approve others that are very similar

I think it has to be 4 letters different to others. There'd be a bunch of "Glynsomethings" I think.

Scottish eh?

Haggis

Sporan

I submitted my second set of 10 names (I didn't get Telida :cry:) a few weeks ago. Still waiting.....

No I did both and still googling everything under the sun. It seems to be very inconsistent though decline some but approve others that are very similar

I think it has to be 4 letters different to others. There'd be a bunch of "Glynsomethings" I think.

Scottish eh?

Haggis

Sporan

I submitted my second set of 10 names (I didn't get Telida :cry:) a few weeks ago. Still waiting.....

It has to differ by 2 letters, good luck to everyone with their choices - I managed to get my 10th choice.

I got my first choice when it arrived in the mail last week- Im rapt- 96% pass on the open book exam and Ive been using Edpra on DOL for the entire time so had my fingers crossed- and its the first 2 letters of my first dog and the first 3 letters of my foundation bitch :)

It has to differ by three letters.

It can't sound the same as an existing prefix.

It can't be the same as an overseas prefix.

Prefixes have to be unfinancial for 10 years before they can be re-issued to someone else (or someone who wants something similar), and even then it can't be the same breed.

Each prefix submitted is looked at individually, and if you have any questions, I would be contacting someone in the office of your state body.