Another Prefix Question

Skye2

I am just applying for a prefix and was wondering when they approve the prefix is it only checked for Australian prefixes or is it a worldwide search . I notice the prefix search on dogzonline is for Australia and New Zealand.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd not want a prefix the same as someone overseas anyway?

Yes that is true, i was just wondering if they search that far so as there are not double ups. I was thinking there are a lot of databases to check if that is the case. I have found one i like but it is a NZ prefix so i scrapped that idea so hopefully my second or third choice will be okay. Really just curious as to how the process actually works

From the Dogs SA Prefix application form:

I am not aware of any of these Kennel names being already registered in Australia or overseas, and if the kennel name approved to me is registered in Australia or overseas, I understand that it may be withdrawn.

Yes that is true, i was just wondering if they search that far so as there are not double ups. I was thinking there are a lot of databases to check if that is the case. I have found one i like but it is a NZ prefix so i scrapped that idea so hopefully my second or third choice will be okay. Really just curious as to how the process actually works

You can contact the NZKC to see if the prefix is a financail kennel, they have ones there that havent been used for centries it seems lol.. You can also apply for that prefix here, if you are a NZKC member, sometimes if the kennel is not active they can direct you, its worth a shot if you really want it!

Id not want someone to have same kennel name as me, esp in same breed, but diff country...

The prefix i like looks like it is still active, but it is more my second choice i am hoping for. Nonetheless, i have heard of people who have submitted 10 names and still not got approval for any of them....i will just have to wait and see what comes back...

I had my first 10 names rejected and the reasons on several was 'overseas prefix' so they do check. I thought I had searched fairly well because I could not find the rejected prefixes anywhere. The others were rejected because of 'too common a word" That stumped mr because it was a simple word that I made up

I had my first 10 names rejected and the reasons on several was 'overseas prefix' so they do check. I thought I had searched fairly well because I could not find the rejected prefixes anywhere. The others were rejected because of 'too common a word" That stumped mr because it was a simple word that I made up

That's strange that they deemed a word "too common". My prefix was approved earlier this year, it's Mainstreet. Every small town in the western world has a Main St, I'm actually surprised it wasn't taken and doubly surprised that it was approved. And we do live on Main St.

I got prefix number 5 (Lastsong), and that was much more common than any of my first four - there's even a movie named Last Song! I did my research and hadn't found the others anywhere else, but maybe they were too close to overseas prefixes.

Beth, you need to apply for the prefix with Dogs Victoria, supply a list of prefixes you want (you can't have one that someone else has), and they send you an exam, along with the reading matter you need to answer the questions.

Yes, overseas prefixes are checked. Common names, names of places etc are nuked, but obviously some slip through every now and then. Prefixes have to be at least three letters different from others (i.e If spotthedog exists, you couldn't have spotthedogs - but you might get spotthedoggies or aspotteddog (maybe, but probably not if they were the same breed)). If a prefix has been unfinancial for more than 10 years, it may be re-issued, but not if the breed is the same.

For a newbie like myself wanting to get a prefix, what are the steps? I heard there was a test? I also wouldn't want the same prefix as someone else.

How does one search world-wide to see if a prefix you'd like has been taken? Is it just a question of googling it?

For a newbie like myself wanting to get a prefix, what are the steps? I heard there was a test? I also wouldn't want the same prefix as someone else.

How does one search world-wide to see if a prefix you'd like has been taken? Is it just a question of googling it?

Google it and follow the link i posted above.

Beth, you need to apply for the prefix with Dogs Victoria, supply a list of prefixes you want (you can't have one that someone else has), and they send you an exam, along with the reading matter you need to answer the questions.

I did the exam bit first. I did not see the point of applying for a prefix without having passed the exam.

I got my first choice of prefix, I think I was lucky as my first choice was a Finnish work which made it just that little bit harder that it was already in use.

Edited by Evolving