Puppy Deposits

redkidsmum

I do not take deposit till the puppies are born, I did have one buyer say she had sent the deposit, but I never recived it, if Idid I would have gave it back, Just so she could not say I keep it.

Legally not sure if you have to give it back or not. :confused:

Did you state no refunds?

Personally, Id pay back, unless it was for a nominal amount, such as what it would cost me to readvertise the pup.

Some have a no refund policy in place, if you change your mind, good bye money.. however if something was wrong with the pup, that deposit is for the first available suitable puppy. (such as a pet deposit on a singleton litter, pup died, the next available dog for a pet HAS to be offered to that buyer, at the same price as original unless you are offering and they accept a show quality if you charge diff prices)

gods its long winded isnt it?

I would refund the deposit, simply because it makes everything very certain. If you keep the deposit and in 2 weeks time she says shes changed her mind and wants the puppy again what then? If you refund the deposit you are in no way obligated to sell her a pup.

ETA I dont like deposits personally. I dont want to feel obligated to sell anyone a puppy, a lot can change in 6-8 weeks. I prefer to have the purchase price paid in full just before the pup is ready to go.

Edited by indigirl

Depends why they have cancelled. If it was something life changing like death in the family or redundancy yes I would refund but otherwise no. I don't currently take deposits but I am seriously considering it as you think you have confirmed homes and then next thing they cancel. It is very frustrating and time consuming

What's the point of taking a deposit if someone can change their mind and get their deposit back?

Personally I don't do deposits and never will, but if I was you I would be checking with the consumer people in your state and in the state the not-buyer lives in it's different.

If you haven't stated it's a non refundable deposit I would think you would have no right to keep it but the law may not agree with that!

Being that you did not state the deposit was non refundable IMO you need to refund.

When people go on my waiting list I advice them I will require a deposit when the puppy is born and that it is not refundable. I also state on the deposit receipt no refunds if you change your mind.

I like taking a deposit as it required a commitment from the buyer - especially knowing no refunds.

However in your case, family problems, I would refund.

We dont accept deposits until we have met the prospective family when the pup is around 6-7 weeks or so. Even then we take only about $200 but it is non-refundable.

Having said that, I have refunded the deposit in one case.

Just bear in mind that if you accept deposits, you are legally bound to provide that purchaser with a puppy - YOU cannot change your mind, it is a legal contract of sale once the deposit is taken.

That's why we wont accept deposits from anyone until we meet and vet them.