Sign in to follow this  
Louise Bennett

Soft Crate Repairs

12 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a very loveable Wirehaired Vizsla who also happens to have an evil streak. She's ripped the mesh door of her soft (show) crate to shreds and I am hoping someone might know of someone who repairs them rather than me having to get a whole new crate.

I've already contacted Meg at K9+ (the place where I bought the crate in the first place) and unfortunately she can't help with a new skin as this particular crate has been discontinued and she doesn't have any skins the correct size.

Surely I don't have the only evil puppy around and someone else has already been through this???

Would really appreciate any tips,

Thanks, Louise.

Rebanne   

I would suggest going to a saddler with the crate and ask them if they can sew some shadecloth or the soft flywire mesh onto the door panel.

Pudel   

Even an upholsterer or canvas repairer, anyone that sews heavy duty stuff.

Rebanne   

please let us know how you get on, soft crates are so popular I'm sure you won't be the only one needing ideas on how to repair them.

trojka   

I had the same problem, but figured that, as the crate was a cheapie, it would probably not be worth getting it repaired. I ended up just cutting the door flap off and used it as a den (well, my dog did). Just a few days ago I got a wire crate though, and I'm very happy with that. It wasn't much more expensive than a new soft crate would have been, either.

Yes, it was a pity that Louises was an obsolete model as we do have replacement skins for our crates.

What I always advise for repairs if a customer prefers to try this option rather than a replacement skin or in Louise's situation where there was no replacement (hers was a run out sale on an obsolete model crate) is to try marine / motor trimmers or caravan / horse rug repairers. Any of these can do the job.

Most soft crate skin repairs can actually be done on a domestic machine and do not actually require an industrial machine, provided it was not on a section that has several layers of fabric.

We have our embroiderers do any repairs we require. They are great.

Louise, I hope you find someone to help. Otherwise, as I mentioned earlier, you can send it to me to have it done. I do not put any mark ups on work I have done for customers.

Rebanne   

Louise, I hope you find someone to help. Otherwise, as I mentioned earlier, you can send it to me to have it done. I do not put any mark ups on work I have done for customers.

That's handy to know for the future :thumbsup:

pirate   

I have used canvas repair places to the mesh on the soft crates normally they can replace it with something heavier. :)

Gayle