Good Dogs. Good Kids.

Panto

I'm curious... for those of you with kids and dogs, was one easier to raise than the other? And to train / teach them good manners?

I've just the one child of the canine variety, but often wonder if it's lazy parenting resulting in kids with bad manners just like a lazy/irresponsible dog owner leaves you with a dog with bad manners. Does anyone else ponder this comparison or have I just gone to the dogs...

;)

im curious to know this answer also panto

i have 2 furbabies no skin ones and i know alot of other dog pple who have not so well behaved dogs due to not putting the time in

i really belive we get shitty kids from lazy parents, or are not so well behaved kids born that way :shrug:

its the old nature vs nurture debate really

I was wondering the same thing the other day, and was trying to argue with my bf that had my parents been around more, I would have developed better study/work habits. He countered that his parents had never been around either but he has always had amazing work ethic, and ended up at Cambridge uni. I think there is an element the child is born with, but then that can be shaped by parenting techniques.

Some dogs are definitely more difficult than others. My boy wasn't toilet trained until he was about 5-6 months old. Our new girl trained herself in a couple of weeks. He is very focused on me, always at my side and wants to work. She is a scatter brain who would prefer to do her own thing.

I was wondering the same thing the other day, and was trying to argue with my bf that had my parents been around more, I would have developed better study/work habits. He countered that his parents had never been around either but he has always had amazing work ethic, and ended up at Cambridge uni. I think there is an element the child is born with, but then that can be shaped by parenting techniques. Some dogs are definitely more difficult than others. My boy wasn't toilet trained until he was about 5-6 months old. Our new girl trained herself in a couple of weeks. He is very focused on me, always at my side and wants to work. She is a scatter brain who would prefer to do her own thing.

I agree with the bolded part :) I have two dogs and two kids. All are behaved well enough to take out in public. My children have their fair share of *ahem* moments, but they are generally well adjusted little guys. There are similarities between how I 'train' my kids and my dogs (consistency, NILF, complete and utter stubborness etc). One of the big differences is that you can't crate your kids though, bugger it.

Edited by huga

We have two young girls, 19 months and 6 months, and the eldest certainly has her moments of tantrums, but has never had one in public yet thank goodness!! Will be interesting to see if our pup turns out similar lol

i really belive we get shitty kids from lazy parents, or are not so well behaved kids born that way

A little from column A and a little from column B. My two children have been brought up the same way but i quite different. what works for one doesn't work another. But that said some parents believe their children are just being children, but really they're being right royal brats who don't know what a consequence is. My kids aren't great but they know there are rules and they test the rules. The difference is that kids really do adapt and try new things while in my experience kind of says that once a dog is trained and you keep up with your rules with them, then they're good to go. Kids have 17 years of switching, changing, evolving and testing. its a lot for a parent to adapt to.

Some dogs are more challenging than others, some kids are more challenging than others. And as with everything some stages in life are more challenging than others.

Right now it's school holidays and I'm starting to think I've failed miserably at both. 12 year old son is getting an hours walk in the morning, another hour and a half in the evening and time to scooter around in between while I train the dog, a good 2 hours a day at the skate park with friends, plus a bizzillion other things to keep him busy and he's STILL 'bored' with attitude to spare. Add to that my 10 year old niece who talks/sings/jumps around non stop - even in her sleep and spends a good part of her holidays hanging out here too!

...meanwhile, the dog is absolutely exhausted. I say 'walkies' and he hides under the doona :rofl:

Some people struggle with high drive dogs. Try having high drive kids!!!

As to which is easier? As far as I'm aware it's still not legal to crate your children.;)

some good insight here, and food for thought I hadn't considered before! keep em coming :)

I was wondering the same thing the other day, and was trying to argue with my bf that had my parents been around more, I would have developed better study/work habits. He countered that his parents had never been around either but he has always had amazing work ethic, and ended up at Cambridge uni. I think there is an element the child is born with, but then that can be shaped by parenting techniques. Some dogs are definitely more difficult than others. My boy wasn't toilet trained until he was about 5-6 months old. Our new girl trained herself in a couple of weeks. He is very focused on me, always at my side and wants to work. She is a scatter brain who would prefer to do her own thing.

I agree with the bolded part :) I have two dogs and two kids. All are behaved well enough to take out in public. My children have their fair share of *ahem* moments, but they are generally well adjusted little guys. There are similarities between how I 'train' my kids and my dogs (consistency, NILF, complete and utter stubborness etc). One of the big differences is that you can't crate your kids though, bugger it.

:rofl:

huga - would you say your family/peers think you have exemplary kids/dogs? (or, I suppose not leaving you much room to be humble, do they allude to that?)

i really belive we get shitty kids from lazy parents, or are not so well behaved kids born that way

A little from column A and a little from column B. My two children have been brought up the same way but i quite different. what works for one doesn't work another. But that said some parents believe their children are just being children, but really they're being right royal brats who don't know what a consequence is. My kids aren't great but they know there are rules and they test the rules. The difference is that kids really do adapt and try new things while in my experience kind of says that once a dog is trained and you keep up with your rules with them, then they're good to go. Kids have 17 years of switching, changing, evolving and testing. its a lot for a parent to adapt to.

good point actually... I think there are more likely to be kids that will test the waters more than a dog would. Of course, exceptions to every rule, but I'll conceid to the fact that the human variety would excel in stubborness better than the furbaby kind! (No doubt there could be some good examples out there to prove me wrong! haha)

Some dogs are more challenging than others, some kids are more challenging than others. And as with everything some stages in life are more challenging than others.

Right now it's school holidays and I'm starting to think I've failed miserably at both. 12 year old son is getting an hours walk in the morning, another hour and a half in the evening and time to scooter around in between while I train the dog, a good 2 hours a day at the skate park with friends, plus a bizzillion other things to keep him busy and he's STILL 'bored' with attitude to spare. Add to that my 10 year old niece who talks/sings/jumps around non stop - even in her sleep and spends a good part of her holidays hanging out here too!

...meanwhile, the dog is absolutely exhausted. I say 'walkies' and he hides under the doona :rofl:

As to which is easier? As far as I'm aware it's still not legal to crate your children.;)

baaahahahahaha....:rofl:

I was hoping the answers would more be somewhere along the lines of 'yes it can be quite similar and just as easy'... I suppose I've had it easy with my furkid and pretty much have these expectations for the human kind... 'uh-oh' comes to mind. maybe I'll just stick to the fur-variety! haha...

I'm curious... for those of you with kids and dogs, was one easier to raise than the other? And to train / teach them good manners?

I've just the one child of the canine variety, but often wonder if it's lazy parenting resulting in kids with bad manners just like a lazy/irresponsible dog owner leaves you with a dog with bad manners. Does anyone else ponder this comparison or have I just gone to the dogs...

;)

Dog easier to train lol :)

but in terms of kids (and dogs), i think structure and rules play a big part, if they know what is expected and what is the norm they will co-here to that, when kids or dogs have free control and do whatever i think you are asking for trouble

some good insight here, and food for thought I hadn't considered before! keep em coming :)

:rofl:

huga - would you say your family/peers think you have exemplary kids/dogs? (or, I suppose not leaving you much room to be humble, do they allude to that?)

I am constantly told what good manners my kids have, so I guess that's something ;) There is also the other extreme - the odd filthy look or snarky comment when someone is having a meltdown in Coles (that includes me :laugh:). But the good stuff outweighs the bad. I was going to say I never get told what good manners my dogs have, but just this morning the vet phoned and told me that Sid is an angel (he is in for some xrays and surgery today). It's nice to know he's behaving himself while he's away from me.

I suppose I've never seen a dog throw a tantrum quite like those supermarket ones you see on tv! Can you imagine?! haha.. I have mental images of doggie tantrums...

Well done Sid on your good manners! Hope the surgery went well and you're all better now!

I have two boys (now 24 and nearly 21)both are great kids, well adjusted, good work ethics etc, have two jacks (female 13 & male 6)- I have always treated them all the same - consequences for misbehavious, plenty of praise for good behaviour and repeative training - always kept a routine and when i whistle - everyone including my husbands comes runninng!

IMO dogs are MUCH easier to train :laugh:

It does also come down to personality of both the dogs and kids but many/most dogs love to please you but children are born to test the boundaries-continually and as pixie_meg said it goes on for at least 17+years.

But with kids and dogs the early, formative years are ultra important

I totally agree Huga..... man it would be nice to crate them (the kids that is ) :rofl::thumbsup: Oh and I also agree with the rest, in that my 2 children and 2 dogs are well behaved enough to take out in public, and there are distinct similarities, to how they both get "trained". :laugh:

:rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup: