Good Dogs. Good Kids.

Panto

Now I'm in my 50's I've had the chance to see lots of different dogs, horses and kids. My own and others.

Attend any horse show and you will see some really interesting situations. Have always found that as a general rule of thumb, parents who have badly behaved horses will have badly behaved dogs and badly behaved kids.

So be warned - if you are having trouble with controlling your dog you will find it harder with any kids when they come along.

My husband and I definitely used dog training techniques on our kids. No means no, consistency, quick reward, and whilst toddlers, you could not punish behavior you did not see. As they have grown older I tend to have to reason with them, and explain things. Dogs are like kids that don't quite get out of toddlerhood. But all kids and dogs have their own inborn traits that make them easier in some ways and harder in others, its just more obvious in your kids as they share the same parents (generally) and the same upbringing (generally) but are still very different people. Dogs are generally from different parents if not different breeders or breeds, so we assume many differences are due to breed, or genetics.

My husband and I definitely used dog training techniques on our kids. No means no, consistency, quick reward, and whilst toddlers, you could not punish behavior you did not see. As they have grown older I tend to have to reason with them, and explain things. Dogs are like kids that don't quite get out of toddlerhood. But all kids and dogs have their own inborn traits that make them easier in some ways and harder in others, its just more obvious in your kids as they share the same parents (generally) and the same upbringing (generally) but are still very different people. Dogs are generally from different parents if not different breeders or breeds, so we assume many differences are due to breed, or genetics.

I this this hits the nail on the head perfectly!

The general principle is the same, but dog tend to mature to a certain metal state a lot quicker than children (i.e. most 6 month old puppies are toilet trained - or would be depending on the owner, but a 6 month old human does not have the mental or physical capability to be toilet trained at that age).

I think that someone who doesn't bother to train/teach their dog/child what is and isn't acceptable behaviour is going to have badly behaved kids/dogs and people who do will have well behaved kids/dogs.

Well put Pudel. :)

Attend any horse show and you will see some really interesting situations. Have always found that as a general rule of thumb, parents who have badly behaved horses will have badly behaved dogs and badly behaved kids.

I very much agree with this. We have been racing dogs for 15 years now and have been parents for 5 years. I can remember a fellow musher saying to me when I was pregnant that we would have a well behaved, beautifully mannered child due to the way we raised our dogs.

We tend to find that the naughtiest, brattiest (is that even a word?) kids in our sport, come from homes where the dogs are right royal turds! Personally, I don't particular want to spend time with either of them ;)

Yep it how you are brough ip I'm adopted but I have turned out like my mum and dad that raised my not my birth mother. My dog is 12 weeks old and is very obedient my horses are all no fuss never need a halter for them even when they have cut I need to clean, but I have put ALOT of time into them to get them like that to te point that they trust me totally and they came from not so good back grounds I don't put up with noncense and be patient clam and clear in what you are asking. I think it's how much time you put in to teaching your kids or dog or horse

I have two boys (now 24 and nearly 21)both are great kids, well adjusted, good work ethics etc, have two jacks (female 13 & male 6)- I have always treated them all the same - consequences for misbehavious, plenty of praise for good behaviour and repeative training - always kept a routine and when i whistle - everyone including my husbands comes runninng!

:laugh: love it!!! - but i have to be cheeky and ask... husbands? ;)

AND - you get to desex your dogs if that is causing any problems !!!!! LOL

:rofl:

Now I'm in my 50's I've had the chance to see lots of different dogs, horses and kids. My own and others.

So be warned - if you are having trouble with controlling your dog you will find it harder with any kids when they come along.

I tried to allude to this in my first post but couldnt think of a way to put it without thinking I might offend someone. Superficially, it says to me how much general effort has been put in to the kids (fur/skin), although you do have to factor for the times when the parents really have gone to the ends of the earth and have well and truly run out of 'give a sh1t'.

Here here! definitely well put. And I have a silly mental image of the 'quick reward' of sweets being shoved quick smart into a kid's mouth for doing the right thing... :laugh:

My sister has two boys (now 28 and 26). They were both raised in the same manner, given the same restrictions, rewards, opportunities.

One has been a right monster for most of his life, didn't finish school, had a few runins with the local constabulary, hasn't maintained a job or relationship for any length of time and is only just starting to settle down.

The other excelled at school, representative sport and Uni, has had one long term relationship and is a delightful young man.

It certainly wasn't a difference in parenting that produced such different young men, just different personalities I think.

All their dogs have been well trained and responsive.

I have three kids, who are all well behaved, polite and haven't caused me any grief. I like to think that my dogs have been pretty good too. The worst I've had is one who was a bit yappy, but we got him as an adult dog with an unknown history. He certainly wasn't a nuisance barker and would be quiet when told to.