What Did You Take Your Pup Home In?

Aztec Gold

We have a 4 hour trip to and from the breeder to get our golden pup, and the crate won't fit in the car! What did you use to take your pup home?

Thanks!

[/quote\]

They just sit on my lap usually if it's a short ride.

Guest english.ivy

Hire a PP40 airline crate. A Golden puppy will fit on one. Dogtainers are good and hire out PP40s.

10 hours drives..

- Lap

- At the floor of the passenger side

- Booster chair

- Small crate

- Backseat with harness

But mostly sitting at the passenger side floor (I layed out a blanket for her).

Charlie was a 20 minute drive, he slept on my lap all the way home.

With wife, niece, sister in law and mother in law all in tow, poor Ozkar didn't have any chance but to be on someone's lap. We had a four hour return drive with him too. :) We just stopped frequently to let him have a run and a wee and he was fine. He slept most of the time.

Took the back seats out of the Rav4 put down loads of newspaper and blankets and he slept the whole 3.5hrs home - got him out of the car and he went and did his business on the grass.

Easiest dog ever to toilet train - cried for 15mins on his first night away from mum and that was it. We had him sleep with a hot water bottle and a ticking clock - stuff we'd read would make him think he was still with his warm litter and ticking hearts. Not sure if that actually was what helped but he was brilliant at adapting to a new home.

Monte came home in our laps (half an hour drive), Ivy came home in the crate (3 and a bit hours was a bit much to have her sit in a lap, plus she got to start using the crate straight away!)..

An alternative we use when we take her to the vet, is putting her in the laundry basket with a blanket drapped over the top.

Six hour drive for us. He was on my lap (passenger)or in the back seat. We filled up the stair wells and the back seat with blankets and made a nest for his dog bed in it all. The dog bed had walls which keep him from moving around much.

I read about parvo after we got him home which made me freak out about the truck stop loo breaks we gave him...but he was fine.

What I'd do differently.. I'd probably still have him on my lap :o though I'd figure out a safer option for loo breaks. Perhaps bringing a baby pen and lining it with newspaper (so he doesn't touch the dirt).

I really freaked out about parvo when I realised it lives in the dirt for 12 months +

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

Personally, I do not recommend the lap method. You will over heat your pup quickly and both become very uncomfortable. You pup will be around 6-7kg and will get heavy. The pup will not enjoy the trip no matter how it travel, so associating it with your lap is not a good thing.

I also feel it is too much contact so early in the relationship. By the time you get home, the pup will already be quite needy and clingy towards you. Not a relationship I like to create from day one.

Personally, I would recommend a sturdy cardboard box lined with paper. Stabilize it in the back seat or rear of the car. Keep it dark but ventilated. Ensure it is escape proof.

This way, if the pup vomits or fouls the carton it is not done so in anything you then wish it to sleep in later. Nor will it be a big deal cleaning it. You just throw it out.

I definitely would not use the dog's crate for the first trip home in, even if it did fit into the car. Very quick way to ensure your pup hates it's new crate.

I like the pup to be left to sort it out for itself, with your voice being heard nearby for some comfort.

Seems my thoughts are very different to everyone elses, so you just go with whatever you think will suit you best.

Edited by dyzney

Our have always travelled on the back seat. We have a back seat buddy so plenty of room for them and they cant fall down the footwell.

I borrowed a friends puppy last week and had to return back to breeder on my own. Puppy was fine on the back seat stretched out asleep after a big day out.

I agree that being on the lap gets uncomfortable and you dont want to start bad habits. What happens when puppy wants to be on a lap and you are the only one in the car and need to concentrate on driving?