Losing Out On Sleep Here!

Dju

Hugo has been doing something very bothersome over the past couple of days. The day before yesterday, he woke me up at 3am to take him outside to toilet, and yesterday, he woke me up twice, once at 2am and another at 4am, again, to toilet. Could this be a UTI? He hasn't had any accidents in the house yet. And he's not a young puppy anymore so he should be able to last the night without toileting breaks all the time (and he has been lasting the whole night up until these last few days). Should this be cause for concern, should I take him to the vet?

Guest english.ivy

You know your dog better than anyone else, if he's acting strange then nothing better than a vet check :)

This happend with my girl last week, trip to the vets for a round of antibiotics for her UTi and she's back to her normal self. Snoring (loudly) the whole way through the night.

If your concerened that its a break from normal routine I would take him to the vets

Penny did this when we first got her...we thought it was because she was an older dog and had been a puppy producer at a BYB. Shortly after we got her I needed to take her to the vet for another problem, she was given ABs for that and she was also cured from needing to go out to pee several times a night.

I didn't even think of taking her to the vet at the time, it didn't even dawn on me that it was a UTI :doh:

bizarre!

Why ?

Whatever irritation he had may have settled - perhaps , due to change in exercise or bone chewing or being in slightly different temperatures he didn't drink as much at certain times ..and therefore didn't need to empty a bladder at night - or perhaps he was dreaming..woke up, and then had to toilet . ;) I'm sure there have been nights when you have needed the loo at a different time , for one reason or another ... bodies react to all sorts of things , and it's all very normal :)

Maybe grab a sample next time he goes and just take it in for a quick check. My vets don't even bother charging for the occassional pee stick or the sample pot to collect it in. :D

Well I don't know, I've only ever done that when I had a UTI and it didn't stop until antibiotics. Also never had a dog before, didn't know they had "I need to pee several times during the night" phases. :laugh: I'm glad it's settled, whatever it was, because I don't fancy the idea of a $100 vet bill just to tell me everything's okay! If it happens again, I think I might give cranberry tablets/juice a shot just in case..

I asked our vet because we thought my girl had a UTI. She didn't. It was only a day she was doing it. He said if she's eaten anything with more salt than normal that this can do the same thing. He said keep an eye on it, if it keeps going to head back to the vet. It lasted a day- no idea what she's eaten gotten in to.

didn't know they had "I need to pee several times during the night" phases.

;) they are animals- not machines.. so they have all the wonderful and not-so-wonderful attributes !

Are all dogs animals or are some machines? I think mine might be a machine, how do you tell the difference?

:mad

• 3 weeks later...

Moose has been doing this for the last few nights. He pees before we go to bed but wakes me up around 4am to go again. Do UTI's need to be treated straight away or can I just take him to the vet on the weekend?

Also, do they test for UTI or just treat with AB's in case that's what it is? I don't fancy him letting me get a sample. :laugh:

Maybe grab a sample next time he goes and just take it in for a quick check. My vets don't even bother charging for the occassional pee stick or the sample pot to collect it in. :D

Wow! Lucky you for having vets like that, mine will charge for anything and then emphasize that they are doing you a 'favour' when you get a discount because they stuffed up.

Moose has been doing this for the last few nights. He pees before we go to bed but wakes me up around 4am to go again. Do UTI's need to be treated straight away or can I just take him to the vet on the weekend?

Also, do they test for UTI or just treat with AB's in case that's what it is? I don't fancy him letting me get a sample. :laugh:

A UTI can spread quickly, so best to have it checked sooner rather than later if you can.

ETA: getting a sample shouldn't be as hard as you think :)

Edited by arielle

I've got an appt on Saturday morning. I work over an hour from home so it's near impossible for me to take them during the week (barring emergencies of course). He's otherwise well in himself, not straining to go and there's no blood or anything so hopefully it'll be ok to wait til Saturday.

What shall I attempt to collect a sample in? :o He stops peeing if I go near him.