Please Settle An Argument For Me

Ker

My council has just introduced microchipping and registration requirements for cats here.

I still think they will go where they should not. My neighbour's new cat likes to sit on the sheds that overlook my place and tease the dog. I find a pump up water pistol does quite a good job of encouraging him to relocate.

The NSW Companion Animal Act states:

16 Offences where dog attacks person or animal

(1) If a dog rushes at, attacks, bites, harasses or chases any person or animal (other than vermin), whether or not any injury is caused to the person or animal:

(a) the owner of the dog, or

(b) if the owner is not present at the time of the offence and another person who is of or above the age of 16 years is in charge of the dog at that time—that other person, is guilty of an offence.

(2) It is not an offence under this section if the incident occurred:

(a) as a result of the dog being teased, mistreated, attacked or otherwise provoked, or

(b) as a result of the person or animal trespassing on the property on which the dog was being kept, or

© as a result of the dog acting in reasonable defence of a person or property, or

(d) in the course of lawful hunting, or

(e) in the course of the working of stock by the dog or the training of the dog in the working of stock.

So in NSW the dog would not be in any trouble if the cat trespassed into the yard.

My three dogs (including a Greyhound) live with 10+ cats at any one time and are fine with them. They all sleep in my bedroom together at night. :) However if a strange cat ran through my backyard one day, I couldn't guarantee its safety. Dogs are dogs. They have prey drive and every now and then, even in the most placid dog, something will set it off.

I think they lady and her dogs will be fine but I would be telling her not to make a big scene out of it online.

As far as I know NSW is the only state that has mandatory reporting of dog attacks - on humans.

http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlghome/dlg_generalindex.asp?sectionid=1&areaindex=DAIDATA&documenttype=8&mi=9&ml=10

So maybe ms ass-for-mouth just multiplied the NSW stats by the number of states or something.

Page 77 of the pdf for the annual report has a bit under 5000 attacks involving nearly 6000 dogs, total for both humans and animals. for 2009/10 Just a bit over 2500 humans. None of it quite adds up so some attacks involved multiple biters and bitten.

PS pg 79 - Airedales top the list at highest percentage of registered breed are biters.

I've never been scared an Airedale would bite me. Wow. They must breed them savage in NSW. Welsh Terrier x top the cross breed list...

Maybe they should have sorted by number of attacks not by percentage of breed are biters...

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

My next door neighbors dog dug under our fence and stuck its head through. Brembo didnt take kindly to that and bit the dog. Unfortunately the dog in question is a fox terrier/jack russell (weighs about 5kg) and Brembo is a staffy x lab that weighs in at 30kgs. Little dog nearly lost half of its face. Brembo degloved its nose. The neighbor complained to us and made lots of threatening noises. We offered to pay half of the vet bill on presentation of a full itemised bill and we contained our dogs when we werent at home until we could dig a trench on our side and concrete it.

I was a little p***ed off when I stuck my head over the fence and noticed that there was bricks running the entire length of their fence as their dog was a digger and they failed to mention it. I would've of fought harder re the vet bill and us concreting but our dogs are huge (30kg and 45-48kg respectively) and their dogs are little plus Brembo "looks" mean (brindle crossbreed) and we intend on living here for the next 5 years (we own our house, neighbours do too).

I did enquire with Logan City Council as to my rights and was reassured that we were in the right as the neighbors dog had "entered" our property.

I have also come home to a dead pidgeon that the dogs had plucked nicely for me (squab anyone) and they have corned a cat that was stupid enough to enter our yard but they are actaully cat safe (they were brought up with MIL's cat and are actaully terrified of cats).

So in my opinion, the greyhound is completely innocent of any wrong doing (in the eyes of the law). Cat should of been safely contained in its own yard or house and not in the greyhounds yard (where he was safely contained).

Alas, it's not that simple. The local laws don't always correspond to what happens locally . . . and sometimes expensive court cases are required to get the laws enforced, or to relax excessive enforcement. Poor dogs. Hard to understand the difference between vermin, endangered species, and neighbor's pet.

Establish which state it is in and take a look at the local laws. The internet is a poor substitute for understanding the law.

I would be very surprised if a dog securely contained in its own yard could be done for killing an animal that wandered into that yard. I think it's also highly unlikely that killing a cat will translate to human aggression.

If you own a sighthound, you own a hunter. Not the first cat to die this way, and certainly unlikely to be the last - which is why it's important not to let cats roam.

mandatory dog attack reporting on ALL dog attacks, human and anything else.

cats in NSW are not required to be locked up at night

As far as I know NSW is the only state that has mandatory reporting of dog attacks - on humans.

http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlghome/dlg_generalindex.asp?sectionid=1&areaindex=DAIDATA&documenttype=8&mi=9&ml=10

So maybe ms ass-for-mouth just multiplied the NSW stats by the number of states or something.

Page 77 of the pdf for the annual report has a bit under 5000 attacks involving nearly 6000 dogs, total for both humans and animals. for 2009/10 Just a bit over 2500 humans. None of it quite adds up so some attacks involved multiple biters and bitten.

PS pg 79 - Airedales top the list at highest percentage of registered breed are biters.

I've never been scared an Airedale would bite me. Wow. They must breed them savage in NSW. Welsh Terrier x top the cross breed list...

Maybe they should have sorted by number of attacks not by percentage of breed are biters...

Yes mandatory reporting for dog attacks. But if you read the legislation as posted above - it is not considered an attack under law:

(2) It is not an offence under this section if the incident occurred:

(a) as a result of the dog being teased, mistreated, attacked or otherwise provoked, or

(b) as a result of the person or animal trespassing on the property on which the dog was being kept, or

© as a result of the dog acting in reasonable defence of a person or property, or

(d) in the course of lawful hunting, or

(e) in the course of the working of stock by the dog or the training of the dog in the working of stock.

Not an offence, not an attack. Councils don't ned to be inundated with reports of every incident that happens with dogs that are lawfully contained.

Hey, I was reading that thread on the other forum as well... I haven't bothered to reply on it because some of the comments were just plain stupid.

As for the chick (basically) saying it killed a cat now it'll be after your child is just a whacko!

mandatory dog attack reporting on ALL dog attacks, human and anything else.

cats in NSW are not required to be locked up at night

"Other than vermin"

I tried to find some kind of list actually defining vermin species and came up with nothing (besides a Tasmanian pest register which included cats, dogs and several native species).

The Tasmanian legislation regarding dog attacks doesn't even have the exception for vermin so technically, my starling-eating greyhound could be declared a dangerous dog, as far as I could find :shrug: (which is a real worry)

The legislation, from here- http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/tas/consol_act/dca2000134/s19.html

(2) If a dog that is not a dangerous dog or a restricted breed dog attacks or bites any person or animal and the injuries caused by the dog to the person or animal are not in the nature of a serious injury, the owner of the dog is guilty of an offence.

Penalty:

Fine not exceeding 10 penalty units.

(3) If a dog that is not a dangerous dog or a restricted breed dog attacks or bites any person or animal and causes a serious injury to the person or a serious injury or death to the animal, the owner of the dog is guilty of an offence.

Penalty:

Fine not exceeding 20 penalty units.

If you own a sighthound, you own a hunter. Not the first cat to die this way, and certainly unlikely to be the last - which is why it's important not to let cats roam.

And not only by sight hounds and certainly not the dogs fault - if the dog was torn up by the cat is the cat owner going to pay the vet bills? As has been said people need to keep their cats contained. We have cats (indoor and outdoor enclosure only) and we are currently having to deal with tom cat stink down the side of the garage because our neighbours think it fine to let their entire male wander. Also sick to death of having the native wildlife killed - our dogs don't touch them, our cats don't have access and yet our garden is frequently a killing field. I certainly don't want the disease risk from wandering cats - if you want an animal keep it contained don't make it someone elses problem. This is why so many people say they hate cats - personally I think the owners are the oxygen thieves. Wandering cats have a life expectancy of 3-4 yrs for obvious reason. Might be fine on a farm (and even then most people I know desex their cats) certainly isn't anywhere else.

And thank goodness for the lovely Katie, rescue grey, who keeps most of our yard wandering cat free despite seeming to have no prey drive and getting on well with our own cats.

x2 Mags. We have new neighbours with "outdoor only" cats. I'm wondering what is the point?? We've never had wildlife here killed and now do, and the old lady across the road has a vege garden full of cat poo. :vomit: But "Oh, they just love hiding in her garden". :rolleyes:

My dogs won't hesitate to dispatch any cat, rat, mouse, rabbit, hare or fox they can catch in our yard. Luckily in NSW there is common sense in the Companion Animals Act and that is considered normal. Although I do recall the dogs did challenge a wombat once, but his growls and charges were too scary for them and he wandered on his way... :laugh:

x2 Mags. We have new neighbours with "outdoor only" cats. I'm wondering what is the point?? We've never had wildlife here killed and now do, and the old lady across the road has a vege garden full of cat poo. :vomit: But "Oh, they just love hiding in her garden". :rolleyes:

Feel for your elderly neighbour - perhaps she could get a water crow to keep the wanders off her garden - absolutely disgusting that they are using it as a toilet and so pathetic of the neighbours to make that comment - hiding indeed. The other option is to get a trap and get council to take them away. If the owners have to pay to get them out of the pound they might think twice about letting them wander. Unless you have a Zoi she could borrow at different times (that won't dig up the whole garden lol)

Vermin

Is well defined in most dictionaries.

As best I can tell from doing a site specific search on .gov.au, vermin are critters that carry a public health risk, usually rats, mice, cockroaches etc.

But can more broadly be considered to include critters that do damage to crops and property so also locusts, birds (especially feral introduced species), termites, etc. And rabbits and foxes.

A bit like a weed - ie plant out of place.

The word history derives from "worm" eg intestinal parasites...

If a property has rats or mice - a council can require the vermin to be cleaned up.

Well . . . the law is against you (and against what I regard as right). What do you do?

Sigh, it means getting off your bum and taking political action.:eek:

My reading is that the simplest and best solution is to expand the legal definition of 'vermin' to include free-ranging cats.

Edited by sandgrubber

Well . . . the law is against you (and against what I regard as right). What do you do?

Sigh, it means getting off your bum and taking political action.:eek:

My reading is that the simplest and best solution is to expand the legal definition of 'vermin' to include free-ranging cats.

And roaming dogs? :p

Feel for your elderly neighbour - perhaps she could get a water crow to keep the wanders off her garden - absolutely disgusting that they are using it as a toilet and so pathetic of the neighbours to make that comment - hiding indeed. The other option is to get a trap and get council to take them away. If the owners have to pay to get them out of the pound they might think twice about letting them wander. Unless you have a Zoi she could borrow at different times (that won't dig up the whole garden lol)

She has thought about borrowing a hound for a little while before! She always used to get so tempted when we had Greyhound fosters... :laugh:

I mentioned a trap to her but she so hates to think she'll get a neighbour offside.

It's a little bizarre how oblivious some people can be isn't it?? ie the cat owners. She has apparently lost one cat - hasn't seen it for weeks, and is just mildly worried!! :confused:

I chased one of theirs off our (fenced) front verandah last night, near our bird cage. :mad Think it's time to move Boris's bed out the front for a little while...

Sorry to wander OT!! :o