Recall Building Without Being Overly Physical

Are there exercises that I can do to work on Kyojin's recall without requiring too much walking from him? He's not allowed to run, or free play. But as this has been the case for a few months now and will be for possibly another year, I'm worried that I'm not able to do enough training with him and recall is something he needs work on.

Minxy, you could shape a very precise "front" behaviour and then back chain the recall. I start by sitting in a chair, legs slightly apart and click/treat for a sit as tight in as they can get - if that doesn't make sense I can explain in more detail :) You can train him using his dinner to begin with whilst you are sitting down - make sure he can find the "front" position from every angle. While you are there shape a retrieve to keep his brain occupied, starting with him sniffing the dumbbell in your hand. Then you can stand up and go through the process again from all different angles with lots of different distractions - food/toys scattered around etc. Hope he comes good soon :)

Minxy, you could shape a very precise "front" behaviour and then back chain the recall.

Yep, I'd be doing that. As well well as some very short restrained recalls (only a few metres so he's not running) Recalls on 15ft long line - let him wander to the end of the line, then call him back to you. The long line will prevent him from running riot and you can slowly add distraction to the mix. Recalls around the house - call him from a seperate room, etc :)

Edited by SecretKei

a game of hide and seek is great fun, it can be done in the house or garden and really helps with recalls. You hide and call your dog then reward like crazy with food, toys, praise or attention (whatever floats his boat) when he comes to you.

I used a target in front of my feet to shape the 'front'. The target was just a small piece of cardboard I cut up, and then just shaped him to sit straight in front of me while touching the target, and then removed the target and put it on cue. From there you can add some distance to it.

Do you mean a formal or informal recall? Easiest way to improve your informal recall that I know is to give your recall command out of the blue then an amazing reward, several times a day. Doesn't matter if the dog has to come a long distance towards you (or even come at all, really), it's the involuntary orienting behaviour you want.

For formal recall, I agree work on fronts. Formal recall just means get into front position from wherever you are.