Would You Feed "out Of Date" Meat To Your Dogs?

Guest Willow

Guest Willow

I bought a lamb roast a few days ago from the supermarket....went to cook it today & reaslised it's use by (not best before, actually use by) was Saturday. It looks and smells fine, but I'm pregnant so don't really want to eat it now. I was going to give it to the dogs. I know raw is better, but since it may or may not be a bit past it I was going to cook it first to kill any nasties.

Would you feed it to yours???

If it looks and smells fine, yes. The butcher gave me a huge raw bone once that I gave to my dog. He munched on it for a while, but eventually lost interest and because our yard is massive, we forgot about it. Fast forward several months. We had a lab over to play with our dog, and the lab found and ate the bone. It had a strange odour to it, but the lab was fine and never looked happier.

Definitely. I've seen her happily chew on far more revolting things than out of date meat, including dead things and old bones she's dug up.

I obviously wouldn't give her some maggot infested, rotting lump but.. you know ;)

Definitely. I've seen her happily chew on far more revolting things than out of date meat, including dead things and old bones she's dug up.

I obviously wouldn't give her some maggot infested, rotting lump but.. you know ;)

on that note as kids we had border collie sheep dogs and dad would often go shoot a few roos fast forward a few days till its really festie and maggot infested....

so doggie eats it maggots and all... throws up and before we could stop her ate the wiggling maggoty puke with great relish.

nothing like first hand puke... 2nd hand being another dogs of course... :vomit:

she was fine and never looked better! so a couple of days past use by meeh!

Yep - my boys can't read a use-by date ... and usually they get the bit of meat in the tray that has spent a day or two in the fridge.

If it was slimy and smelly then I don't ... I usually freeze and toss in the bin on bin day ... not that the dogs would care but I can't tolerate the gas coming out the other end :eek:

I remember when I was a kid our dogs were given a bone every night when they were put out at bedtime. Because we had 3 large dogs my dad would buy a big bag of bones and after about 4 days in the fridge the last of the bones would be slimey and very stinky but the dogs loved them and never showed any ill effects for eating them, so yea I'd give mine some out of date meat.