Too Late For Clicker Training?

Naomi

Archie is 6 months old and I was wondering if this would be too late to start clicker training?

Can I buy one in pet stores? I've never seen them around and I can't wait for one to arrive from online.

Edited by Naomi

It is never too late to start :) I started with my first dog when she was 7 years old, with a whole history of other types of training.

If you are using a clicker to do shaping (what I use it for) the beginning can be frustrating until you and the dog get the hang of it. If you have always shown the dog what to do with a lure or physically it can take a little while for tham to get the hang of offering behaviour but it is great to see them working it out and once they get the hang of it it is great for teacging a large range of behaviours.

Never too late.

We're a clicker training family however our 11 year old Dane hasn't done much with it like the younger kids have and she's currently being taught to play dead via the clicker with my partner who hasn't used the clicker before and they're doing great!

Clicker training isn't something only young dogs can understand, it's a method of training that all animals respond to including humans, they just call it TAGG not CLICKER.

Like everyone else has said, never too late! I started clicker training with mine at ages 4 and 5

There are lots of really helpful clicker training videos on youtube with some on specific commands/tricks.

Edited by Ravyk

Archie is 6 months old and I was wondering if this would be too late to start clicker training?

Can I buy one in pet stores? I've never seen them around and I can't wait for one to arrive from online.

I'm trying to teach him 'stand' and 'stand, stay' for his grading. But he is just not getting it! Will clicker training make this easier to teach? Any tips of teaching this specific command?

As long as your dog/puppy is predisposed to clicker training, then I don't think age will matter :)

Thanks for the input everyone!

I got a clicker today and looked up some youtube vids. I found two really helpful vids:

>link< This one was quite amusing. I love how he transferred the clicker training to the lady. Skip to 1:55 in the video to see what I mean. OH and I had a good laugh. I had a bit of a joke with OH. When he did something I like I clicked and he got a kiss. Haha.

>link< This was my favourite. Very informative and demonstrates a step by step approach. I can not believe how big her Great Dane is in comparison to her! Wow.

I'm "charging" the clicker with Archie at the moment. Feeding him his favourite treats after the click is working a charm!! He is even getting the hang of the 'touch' command. I'm sure it would of been easier if I didn't teach him high five first. He keeps trying to offer me the high five behaviour. And what's more is that OH and I are already finding this training a lot more FUN and exciting than traditional training? Who knew. I think because it isn't as frustrating for us or for Archie and you see a quicker response.

Can't believe I hadn't tried this sooner.

My boy knew hi 5 before touch as well.. To help him learn the difference quickly, I'd put a treat in my hand so he could smell and touch it... and when he touched my hand, click, then he got the treat. Holding it at a different angle for the command works well too to start. Now he touches both my hands and hi 5s easily as they're ever so slightly different commands. I half taught him to give left and right paw but he has to be concentrating really hard to work that one out :laugh:

I only fall in a heap with clicker training when it's time to introduce the command! I've also started doing it with a 5yo Kelpie, and he is a super star.