Being Too Protective.

Dee_al

Sorry I meant call it and if it doesnt respond give it a tug....

I would still not call it and then punish it for not responding - the dog probably has no idea what you're punishing it for. Are you punishing the aggression or the non-compliance? Or both? If it's over-aroused, it may not even be able to hear the handler.

Best take the dog to see a professional Dee-al :) If Jane has helped you before, there's your first port of call!

If it's over-aroused, it may not even be able to hear the handler.

or you may get re-directed aggression ?

Ok I'll try and explain a little better,

You arnet calling the dog when its already in the sate of protectiveness (aggression) if the dog is barking and growling its to late for the correction I'm talking about.

What I'm saying is you need to read your dog when its starts to show signs of protectivness it may be that it is fixated on the other dog at that time you call it sternly so that you distract it and you have its attention... if you call it and it doesnt respond you call it again with a pop on its leach to force it to look at you. Then when its done this you reward it.

The pop on the leash isnt a punishment its a correction so the dog commits the desired behaviour so you can reward it.

Like you guys have both mentioned though if the dog is alreaydy in a hightend state this probably wont work..

and your right its best to take the dog to see a profesional, but since she posted it on a forum I posted my view, I'm glad I did because I'm being corrected by some of the knowledgable people here...

So just to add:

you arent correcting the protective behaviour your correcting the non complienc of the "attention command" which is calling the dogs name.

does that more sence or am I still off?

Becau

You aren't pregnant are you? I have seen male dogs suddenly become very protective of pregnant owners before.

our BC became did this, when out walking he would position himself between the OH and other people, he would have to watch everyone in front behind and to the sides, he didnt stop to sniff anything anymore, didnt greet people he knew, it seemed he was on guard detail and that was his job while out of the house

and literally the first day home with bub the OH took our fur kid out for a walk and he was back to his normal 'oh its u im busy sniffing things and trying to score pats from people' routine

So just to add:

you arent correcting the protective behaviour your correcting the non complienc of the "attention command" which is calling the dogs name.

Becau

What's the purpose of the correction? Is it to suppress a behaviour or is it meant to get the dog's attention? Are you trying to create a conditioned punisher?

I use the dead dog rule. If a dead dog can do it then it's not behaviour. Can a dead dog not pay attention to their name?

How old is Jax? I've found, in time running a boarding kennel, that many dogs are sweet until they hit the doggy equivalent of late adolescence, and then some genetic stuff kicks in and they show adult colours. I think a lot of this is genetic and somewhat related to breed. I agree with others, expert advice is helpful. But some people who call themselves 'behavioralists' don't know jackshit: they just puppet some dogma. So be selective of your behavioralist.

So just to add:

Becau

What's the purpose of the correction? Is it to suppress a behaviour or is it meant to get the dog's attention? Are you trying to create a conditioned punisher?

I use the dead dog rule. If a dead dog can do it then it's not behaviour. Can a dead dog not pay attention to their name?

The correction is to force it to give me its attention which is defined by the dog looking at me..

the process as I see it would be

Rex! if he look at me reward him with a pat, praise or treat what ever the practise is..

but if I get no responce I say REX! and that the same time I geive a pop on the leash enough of a pop that he turns and looks at me. then when he turns and looks at me I mark with yes and reward.

So if I understand your definition this is no behaviour, does it then fall under obedience?

Is my logic correct.

Hes just turned one. Its only me he is like it with.

Am I pregnant, umm well to be honest I dont actually know! Hes got even more clingy towards me recently..

If its only with you I still think its a dominance issue, I think the dog feels like it has to take control of the situation with you and with your OH it doesnt feel like that.

IMO

He is EXTREMLY attatched to me, and pretty much always has been, which is fine. Ive just emailed the lady that helped me with my lab so im hoping she can help.

And ill do a preg test too haha

Rex! if he look at me reward him with a pat, praise or treat what ever the practise is..

Right, so you've rewarded orienting to you on cue. Nice.

but if I get no responce I say REX! and that the same time I geive a pop on the leash enough of a pop that he turns and looks at me. then when he turns and looks at me I mark with yes and reward.

So now your cue to orient to you heralds a leash pop. What's he going to make of that? If you heard something that may mean you'll get a reward or may mean you'll get a leash pop, what would you do? Assuming he heard the cue when you corrected him. I won't comment on the turning his head around because I don't know what it looks like and what kind of dog he is.

So if I understand your definition this is no behaviour, does it then fall under obedience?

Is my logic correct.

He was doing something when you corrected him. It wasn't not responding to his name, because a dead dog can do that. What was he doing that a dead dog can't do? Looking at something interesting? Whatever he was doing, that's what you have corrected, assuming you have corrected something.

To the OP, avoiding behaviourists that call themselves 'behavioralists' would be a good start. ;) Sandgrubber. :provoke::angel:

Right, so you've rewarded orienting to you on cue. Nice.

So now your cue to orient to you heralds a leash pop. What's he going to make of that? If you heard something that may mean you'll get a reward or may mean you'll get a leash pop, what would you do? Assuming he heard the cue when you corrected him. I won't comment on the turning his head around because I don't know what it looks like and what kind of dog he is.

Is my logic correct.

He was doing something when you corrected him. It wasn't not responding to his name, because a dead dog can do that. What was he doing that a dead dog can't do? Looking at something interesting? Whatever he was doing, that's what you have corrected, assuming you have corrected something.

To the OP, avoiding behaviourists that call themselves 'behavioralists' would be a good start. ;) Sandgrubber. :provoke::angel:

Cheers for that I get it....

so the question is what is the appropriate action in this case. Like I said I dont correct him at the momment for not answering to his name, I'll praise and pat when he does.

lol I would never call myself a 'behavioralists' but I will say what I believe and in this case I'm glad I did because now I have something to think about. Any

advise given on a forum should be researched independently maybe my post should come with that disclaimer :)

Cheers for that I get it....

so the question is what is the appropriate action in this case. Like I said I dont correct him at the momment for not answering to his name, I'll praise and pat when he does.

:shrug: Depends on what you want. I get ribbed every time I dare say what I do, so I'll leave that one alone!

Any advise given on a forum should be researched independently maybe my post should come with that disclaimer :)

Pfft. As Bob Bailey said recently, people should spend less time on internet forums and more time researching on their own if they want facts. :p Anyone who takes advice off the internet risks making things worse. There are plenty of stories of it happening. If you should put disclaimers on your posts then we all should.