6wk Siberian Husky. Is His Weight Normal?

My male Siberian Husky puppy is 6 weeks old and weighs in at 5.9kg. I was told by someone that he is heavy for his age.

What should his weight be at 6 weeks?

Method of weighing:

Hold him and step on scales. xxkg

Step on scales by myself. yykg

xxKG minus yyKG = 5.9kg

Thanks in advance :D

Edited by ArchieTheHusky

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure of the weight he 'should' be . It seems a bit heavy . but I have no idea :o .. do you have photos? What does he look like?

I have to ask.... why do you have a 6 week old puppy?

Edited by persephone

I'm not sure of the weight he 'should' be . It seems a bit heavy ... do you have photos?

I have to ask.... why do you have a 6 week old puppy?

I'll try get some photos.

The man we bought the puppy from is going on vacation and wanted to sell them before he left.

The man we bought the puppy from is going on vacation and wanted to sell them before he left.

Hmmmm.. :( So - how long have you had Archie? What is he being fed? Did the breeder give you a diet sheet ? Did you take Archie to the vet for a checkup? ( recommended when you buy a new puppy that hasn't already been vet checked) What did the vet say about his weight?

Is he definitely purebred siberian husky? ie from a registered breeder?

Sounds a little heavy for a pure sibe pup, although my labrador puppy was 8 kg at 8 weeks, so was probably around 6 kg at 6 weeks. Sibes are generally lighter than labs though.

I suppose if he has some malamute or other breed in him then he could well be a normal weight.

Is he definitely purebred siberian husky? ie from a registered breeder?

Sounds a little heavy for a pure sibe pup, although my labrador puppy was 8 kg at 8 weeks, so was probably around 6 kg at 6 weeks. Sibes are generally lighter than labs though.

I suppose if he has some malamute or other breed in him then he could well be a normal weight.

The guy said he was a purebred, but he isn't a registered breeder and I can't be 100% sure.

My 6 week old Border Collie pups were 4.8 kg. But they have a lot of bone and were quite heavy set.

I think that it is hard to go on just a weight.

Pictures would give a much better idea of if his weight is ok.

At six weeks I think most breeds should be pudgy(ish) and well covered. If he's got plenty of cover over his ribs (IMO at this age you should have a little difficulty feeling the ribs) then he's probably the right weight for him. Sounds heavy for a Sibe though!

It's fine to have a six week old puppy BUT you must know what your doing. You need to read up on critical periods for dogs so that you understand how important this stage of the pups life is. Some dog trainers I knew would take on pups at 6 weeks so they knew the puppy would have successful critical period, but these were professionals.

I can feel his ribs without applying much pressure at all. He looks and feels fine but the weight just doesn't seem right :\

I'll put up some pictures soon.

He's going to the vet in a few days but anyway...

Edited by ArchieTheHusky