If I Died - Dog Retirement Villages?

Isabel964

Hi Guys, just wondering if something happened to me is there a retirement village I could pay to keep my dogs in a happy life? Do they only look after old dogs?

I've never heard of one.

I'd rather my dogs be rehomed (separately if necessary) or PTS than condemned to live out their days in kennels. Not even the best run kennel environment is a substitute for a real home.

Hi Guys, just wondering if something happened to me is there a retirement village I could pay to keep my dogs in a happy life? Do they only look after old dogs?

Yep. The Casanova Kennels in Coldstream offer such a service. It started off as promises to some of their special customers but ended up quite popular. They are not 'kenneled' as such, but have lots of room to run, get lots of love in idyllic surrounds.

I haven't spoken to Terry or Angela for a couple of years, but last I heard they were still doing it. Lovely people.

I'm sure a google will find them. :)

Edited to add... HERE YOU GO!

Edited by jerojath

Isn't this thread just a ray of sunshine :D

Some things need to be planned for. I'd rather my dogs be taken on by someone who agrees to take responsiblility for rehoming them than see them end up at the pound.

no doubt - just wasn't the cheeriest thread I saw to each lunch over, and thought by having a little chuckle at it I could lighten the mood. I don't like thinking about death, and now I'm thinking about death.......

and it is very important that you do provide for your animals when you do pass on whether this is a topic of sunshine or not.

Tell your friends, tell your family, put it in your Will what your exact instructions are.

Think about whether you want your dogs separated or not if you have numerous dogs.

Isn't this thread just a ray of sunshine :D

Some things need to be planned for. I'd rather my dogs be taken on by someone who agrees to take responsiblility for rehoming them than see them end up at the pound.

no doubt - just wasn't the cheeriest thread I saw to each lunch over, and thought by having a little chuckle at it I could lighten the mood. I don't like thinking about death, and now I'm thinking about death.......

If you are single and have pets its a legitimate concern. My family would be unable/unwilling to take my dogs on. So the purebred dogs would go back to their breeders for rehoming most likely and the others would go to rescue. The cats would also go back to their breeders for rehoming I would think.

Reminds me I need to update my will! I would also leave a good amount of money to assist with getting the dogs back to breeders, rehoming them, kenneling fees whilst waiting to be transported etc. I also think a couple of my close friends would probably offer homes to a particular dog or whatever should I pass away.

It is something I hate to think about too but I guess necessary. Our plan if something happens to me is My OH to keep the two older ones and my mum to take the two younger ones. Seems this would be the best situation for the dogs as work would prevent my OH giving all 4 dogs the life they deserve/need but with two it would be managable for him. I suppose it is good in theroy to have a plan in place but who knows when the time comes if it would pan out that way!

I would hate to think of mine living out thier days in a kennel environment, I'd rather have them PTS and buried with me. I told my mum that one day and she just about flipped her lid, she couldn't handle the thought of it.

My 5yr old westie is a pure bred and can go back to her breeder, but if something happened to the breeder I'd need a back up plan. My kelpie is 10 already so she'd need loving retirement. She loves life and people and would prefer like to being PTS. I do understand that some people with sick pets may know its better under the circumstances to PTS. I want to cater for all and any circumstance for my pets so that even if my pets change over time, my 'will' will cater for them, regardless of age or origin or when I last updated my will.

My girl with issues is to become my parents dog in the event of my death. She is to be PTS if they cannot look after her or if they die. She cannot be ethically rehomed and I'd not ever want her put through the stress of being away from her home and people and in a shelter environment which she would not cope with for the last days of her life.

I would do things differently depending on the dog. Either they are rehomed via breeder/family or rescue group that fosters or they will be pts. I think it is important to think of these things and it is another reason why I will always go with a ethical registered breeder/rescue group that will take back my dog in the event of this happening. My current girl is a BYB special. My family and I have had this discussion and are well aware of our wishes.

Edited to make sense.

Edited by Henrietta

We've made provisions in our will if anything happens to us that money will be provided for the care of all our animals. I also made my best friend who is a doggy person my executor because she knows what I would want and who else to talk to. I also intend to leave a letter outline what I wish to happen with my animals and with the resources that will be left.

The only thing I have requested in the event of my death is my dogs be taken care of. I know my parents will take them but if they couldn't I would be talking to a rescue group about massive donation in the event of my death to rehome my dogs as a pair 10k 20k I dont care I'm dead might as well keep my boys happy