Dutch Shepherd

Troy

The Dutch Shepherd

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=233 )

Group: Group 5 (Working Dogs)

History: Originally the main function of the Dutch Shepherd Dog was that of a shepherd’s dog in the countryside. From early times, the Dutch had an arable culture that was, among other things, maintained by flocks of sheep. The dogs had to keep the flocks away from crops, which they did by patrolling the borders of the road and the fields. They also accompanied the flocks on their way to the common meadows, markets and ports.

At the farm, they kept the hens from the kitchen garden; they herded the cows together for milking and pulled the milk carts. They also alerted the farmers if strangers entered the farmyard. Around 1900, sheep flocks had for the greater part disappeared in the Netherlands. The versatile skills of the Dutch Shepherd Dog made him suitable for dog training, which was then starting to become popular. Thus he started on a new career as a police dog, as a search and tracking dog and as a guide dog for the blind. He is however, still capable of herding sheep. The breed’s first standard dates from 12 June 1898.

General Appearance: A medium sized, middle weighted, well-muscled dog of powerful and well-balanced structure. A dog with lots of endurance, a lively temperament and an intelligent expression. Depending on the coat the breed is distinguished in the following varieties; short, long and wire haired.

Important proportions: The length of the body (from point of shoulder to point of buttock) exceeds the height at the withers at a ratio of 10.9 as suits a trotting dog.

The proportion of the length of the skull to the muzzle is 1.1

Temperament: Very loyal and reliable, always alert, watchful, active, independent, with persistence, intelligence, prepared to be obedient and gifted with true shepherding temperament, The Dutch Shepherd Dog works willingly together with its owner and deals independently with any task which is assigned to him.

When herding larger flocks he must have the capacity to work together with several other dogs.

Head And Skull: In good proportion to the body. Seen from above and in profile it is wedge-shaped. Its shape is rather elongated, without wrinkles; dry, with flat cheeks and no pronounced cheekbones. Because of the coat, the head of the wirehaired variety appears to be more square, but this is an illusion.

Skull: Flat.

Stop: Slight, though clearly present.

Nose: Black.

Muzzle: Slightly longer than the flat forehead. Bridge of the muzzle straight and parallel to the top line of the cranial region.

Lips: Tight and well pigmented.

Eyes: Dark coloured and medium sized. The eyes are almond shaped and slightly oblique. The eyes should not be set too wide and should not protrude.

Ears: Medium sized. When the dog is alert, the ears are carried high and erect.

Mouth: Scissor bite, strong, regular and complete.

Neck: Not too short, dry, without folds and gradually flowing into the body.

Forequarters: The forelegs are powerful, of good length, well muscled. The bone is solid but not heavy. Always generally showing a straight line, but with sufficient suppleness of pastern.

Shoulders: Shoulder-blades well joined to the body and well sloping.

Upper arm: Approximately equal length to the shoulder blades and well angulated with the connecting bones.

Elbow: Well attached.

Body: Firm but not coarse.

Top line: There is a smooth, gentle transition from the neck to the top line of the body, in which head and neck are carried in natural pose.

Back: Straight and firm.

Loin: Firm, neither long nor narrow.

Croup: Slightly sloping, not short.

Underline and belly: Slight tuck up.

Chest: Deep and long enough, not narrow, ribs slightly sprung.

Fore chest: Fairly well developed.

Hindquarters: The hind legs are powerful and well muscled. The bone is solid but never heavy. Not excessively angulated.

Thigh and lower thigh: Of approximately equal length.

Hock: Perpendicular below the point of buttock.

Dewclaws: None present

Feet: Oval. Well knit, toes arched. Black nails and elastic dark pads.

Tail: At rest, hanging straight down or with a slight curve. Reaches to the hock. In action, carried gracefully upwards, never curled or carried sideways.

Gait/Movement: The Dutch Shepherd Dog is a trotter with free, smooth and supple movement, without exaggerated drive or stride.

Coat:

Short Hair: All over the body, quite hard, close-fitting, not too short coat, with woolly undercoat. Ruff, breeches and feathered tail plume must be clearly visible.

Long Hair: All over the body, long, straight well fitting, harsh to touch, without curl or waves and with a woolly undercoat. Distinct ruff and breeches. Tail abundantly coated. Head, ears and feet and also the hind legs below the hocks are short and densely coated. The backsides of the forelegs show a strongly developed coat, shortening in length towards the feet, the so called feathering. No fringes at the ears.

Wire Hair: Dense, harsh tousled coat and a woolly, dense undercoat all over the body except for the head.

The coat should be close.

Upper and lower lip should be well-covered with hair, the whiskers and beard, and two well defined, coarse rough eyebrows that are distinct but not exaggerated.

Furnishings are not soft. The hair on the skull and on the cheeks is less strongly developed. In profile it seems as if the head has a more square appearance. Strongly developed breeches are desirable. Tail is covered all round with hair. The brindle colour may be less pronounced because of the tousled coat. The wire hair coat should be hand plucked on an average twice a year.

Colour: Brindle: The basic colour is golden or silver. Golden can vary from light sand-coloured to chestnut red, The brindle is clearly present all over the body, in the ruff, breeches and tail. Too much black is undesirable. A black mask is preferable.

Heavy white markings on chest or feet is not desirable.

Sizes:

Height at the withers;

Dogs: 57-62 cm

Bitches: 55-60 cm

Faults:

Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the functional health and welfare of the dog.

DISQUALIFYING FAULTS:

• Aggressive or overly shy.

• Lack of breed type

• Any dog clearly showing physical or behavioural abnormalities shall be disqualified

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

• 3 weeks later...

QUESTIONS

First time owner

This breed is not commen in australia at all i only know of 2 breeders one FCI and on KNVP lines

My pup was quite socialable , very confidnet in all situation , e,.g loud sounds ,. motorbikes , thunder , stairs wit gaps , elevation

i believe you need min at least 1hr of solid exercise daily i mean you can have an off day but all and all very active breed needs someothing to do !

No

Yes but i kennel my dog

minimal

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

Yes this dog is very reactive and has high prey drive

No this breed isnt like the GSD

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Really shouldnt be buying this breed if you dont know this answer

Edited by ZEPING

• 7 months later...

Imported Dutch Shepherds to Australia, worked on getting the breed recognised through the ANKC, breeder, trainer and have studied the breed here for the past 6 years.

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

Like any other shepherd for herding livestock.

Not very common.

4. What is the average lifespan?

About 12 to 15 years

Very loyal companion, very handler orientated, wants to please, outgoing

Like any other shepherd, 1/2 hour is sufficient

Dutch shepherd is a very loving dog, first time owner would not have any problems having a Dutch Shepherd. Like all breeds you have to select your puppy to suit your requirements and there are exceptions in all breeds.

Yes, they are more handler orientated then dogs, but that does depend on how you raise your puppy.

The verity in Australia have the short coat and not much grooming is required.

All puppy are boisterous and good puppy selection would help picking the right pup for your lifestyle.

No. They are very hardy dogs and no common problems are recorded in the breed. Just had all our dogs X rayed (even the old dogs) with exceptional results.

Like any other breed, because of so much line breeding and mixing of Dutch Shepherds with Mals etc. I believe that pedigree papers are important and even though there are no genetic problems in the breed, breeding stock should be X rayed to keep the standard high.

Edited by artur

Artur ... really? First time dog owners with a dutchie and no more then half an hour attention a day?

Well my in laws and other first time owners that I am associated with have no issues and the owners that have a full time job probably spend on occasions less then 1/2 hour a day with their Dutchies it works well for them so I don't see why it could not work for others. However this is not written in stone it is just my opinion.

Edited by artur

when you say first time dog owner you should assume they wont be in direct contact with an experienced breeder or trainer. Someone with no dog knowledge experience and no one holding their hand with experience in the breed isn't really a great candidate for a dutch shepherd?

when you say first time dog owner you should assume they wont be in direct contact with an experienced breeder or trainer. Someone with no dog knowledge experience and no one holding their hand with experience in the breed isn't really a great candidate for a dutch shepherd?

Like I said before, in my opinion, Dutch Shepherds are very loyal, handler orientated dogs. They are normal dogs so there is no reason why a first time dog owner could not have a Dutch Shepherd, just like a German Shepherd or a Rotti, it is purely based on personal preferences and the breed that they are interested in. Obviously puppy selection is required for the right person or job.

And it should be noted that the people I mentioned before, they don't all associate with me on a regular basis but I do keep in touch.

Artur, is there much difference in temperament between the FCI lines and KNPV. Do they make good sport dogs or are they better suited to security and/or personal protection?

Has the breed retained their herding instinct at all?

Also, how do Dutchies differ from Malis in your opinion?

Thank you.smile.gif

Edited by SecretKei

Artur, is there much difference in temperament between the FCI lines and KNPV. Do they make good sport dogs or are they better suited to security and/or personal protection?

Has the breed retained their herding instinct at all?

Also, how do Dutchies differ from Malis in your opinion?

Thank you.smile.gif

Hi first I do not want to offend anyone but KNPV is a type of dog sport (like Schutzhund which people here are more familiar with) and not a breed of dog while FCI is the international organisation that overlooks the dogs pedigree, judging, results etc similar to ANKC.

FCI Dutch Shepherds are describing dogs that are registered pure breed dogs with an international organisation, most dogs that people refer to as KNPV could be cross breeds that look like either a Dutch Shepherd or a Mal. If you google them it might explain it a bit better.

Dutch Shepherds are utility dogs, suitable for many situations such as a family pet, sport or security. I believe and have seen that they show a natural ability to herd. For me the best way to describe a Dutch Shepherd is that they are somewhere in between a Mal and a German Shepherd in their drives. But I would also like to mention that it depends on how people bring their dogs up from a pup.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

They are SO cute! :love: Love the pics of the adults also :) What homes do you envision them going to? Are they all going to working/correctional sort of places? :)

Some are going to show homes, so we should see some in show rings :)