Anatolian Shepherd Dog

Troy

It was with great interest and anticpation that I searched for this thread this morning and have been quite disappointed.

I was lucky emough to be introduced to this fabulous breed at Dogs NSW on Sat and was captivated by them from the minute I saw them in the ring.

Later chatting with the breeders I got to meet four :love: and that was it for me !

I was unable to chat for long with the breeders due to time constraints so was keen to start my research today with this thread.

So far all I have read is pages long debate on ANKC and other classifications - which I am aware is extremely important to current owners and breeders - however as someone who is here to find out more about the breed I was sadly disappointed.

It would be great to actually receive answers to the questions posed at the beginning of this thread - which is THE PURPOSE of Breed 101 threads - as you are doing this wonderful breed a huge disservice by not showcasing their talents,breed purpose and charateristics and allowing poeple like myself to gain more information.

These forums should be about promoting purebreeds and allowing poeple to become educated about the breed in order to make informed decisions on the fit of the dog in question to their lifestyle / home cirumstances...

Education os the key so can you please educate not debate :scold:

DDL these forums are about the breed, but whether we like it or not, the ANKC breed classification issue was an issue :)

Fortunately Turkey have conducted DNA research and developed a DNA breed identity test, so Ankara can now identify Kangal via DNA analysis.

:)

Edited by lilli

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was with great interest and anticpation that I searched for this thread this morning and have been quite disappointed.

I was lucky emough to be introduced to this fabulous breed at Dogs NSW on Sat and was captivated by them from the minute I saw them in the ring.

Later chatting with the breeders I got to meet four :love: and that was it for me !

I was unable to chat for long with the breeders due to time constraints so was keen to start my research today with this thread.

So far all I have read is pages long debate on ANKC and other classifications - which I am aware is extremely important to current owners and breeders - however as someone who is here to find out more about the breed I was sadly disappointed.

It would be great to actually receive answers to the questions posed at the beginning of this thread - which is THE PURPOSE of Breed 101 threads - as you are doing this wonderful breed a huge disservice by not showcasing their talents,breed purpose and charateristics and allowing poeple like myself to gain more information.

These forums should be about promoting purebreeds and allowing poeple to become educated about the breed in order to make informed decisions on the fit of the dog in question to their lifestyle / home cirumstances...

Education os the key so can you please educate not debate :scold:

DDL these forums are about the breed, but whether we like it or not, the ANKC breed classification issue was an issue :)

Fortunately Turkey have conducted DNA research and developed a DNA breed identity test, so Ankara can now identify Kangal via DNA analysis.

I know Lilli and i respect that i was just so keen to find out as much info as I could from this thread and was disappointed that there wasn't much there...

The four I met were just amazing - I was beyond impressed and have never had a breed make such an impression on me....

Perhaps I am just a bit lovesick and therefore a bit hasty :D

i found the thread that Millbrooksprings directed me too and have spent the last few happily hours browsing in awe of the breed and the rescue work that has been done on their behalf.

Just gorgeous :love:

They have jumped to the top of my list (even though I adore my Labs to pieces) and fingers crossed in the years to come I will be in the right place and be lucky enough to be the right owner for this wonderful breed.

In the meantime i will happily research away and full in love with all the gorgeous photos :D

The four Anatolians would have been two males and two females?

I believe so Lilli...

Two were in their crates but I got to personally meet the other two...

The female was being shown( she looked so gorgeous in the ring) by far the best in my humble opinion :D

I also met a young male...

Unfortunately we didn't have a lot of time by that stage so i wasn't able to hang around and make a massive nusiance of myself :)

I believe so Lilli...

The female was being shown( she looked so gorgeous in the ring) by far the best in my humble opinion :D

Unfortunately we didn't have a lot of time by that stage so i wasn't able to hang around and make a massive nusiance of myself :)

Well I would agree that the females were better as I bred the girls :laugh: and co-own the youngest one .. lol no kennel blindness here :D

There would have been a wolf sable coloured female, Takas Cleopatra

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=63011

and a tall female in the puppy class, Takas Cio Cio San.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=63012

I'm glad you liked the Anatolians :) Hope you can spend more time with them soon.

Edited by lilli

I believe so Lilli...

Well I would agree that the females were better as I bred the girls :laugh: and co-own the youngest one .. lol no kennel blindness here :D

There would have been a wolf sable coloured female, Takas Cleopatra

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=63011

and a tall female in the puppy class, Takas Cio Cio San.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=63012

I'm glad you liked the Anatolians :) Hope you can spend more time with them soon.

Yes !!!!!

Lilli I feel such a goose about my post yesterday..... after looking through the guardian thread I can see how much this breed means to you and how passionate you are about them...

They were all stunning and I LOVE Takas Cleopatra she is just gorgeous..

Her coloouring is so striking...

I have a picture of Takas Cio Cio San on my Iphone - to convince OH that is our next dog when we move to acreage :D

Cleopatra was shown in the utility class (being dogs NSW)and i as far as i was concerned she was the only one i saw - where there other breeds there :laugh:

The more i read up and see piccies the more obsessed I become :)

Edit to add that an ASD would be our next dog to own

Edited by Double Lab Love

DLL I am glad you found the right forum and while I no longer have a LGD (yet :D ) I am still there to ogle and annoy the others out of my jealousy. Cleopatra is one of the most stunning dogs even my OH who is a dinky di CAO lover really likes her.

By the way both of your posts today and yesterday were at the exact same time..... freaky

DLL I am glad you found the right forum and while I no longer have a LGD (yet :D ) I am still there to ogle and annoy the others out of my jealousy. Cleopatra is one of the most stunning dogs even my OH who is a dinky di CAO lover really likes her.

By the way both of your posts today and yesterday were at the exact same time..... freaky

They were too - i hadn't noticed that :D

I work in fin markets and am a trader so unless we have a quietish day I don't really get a chance to jump on the forums until after 4 ... well I can but the spectacular errors aren't worth it !!

I leave after 5 so there is usually a small posting window re the forums :D

Unlike today as it's a bit quiet ...

That thread was just awesome I jumped around a bit on it but the piccies :love:

You know I went along to Dogs NSW day on Sat completely unaware that life as I know what about to change :laugh:

I adore my two Labs and they are everything to us - but they were OH's choice of breed not mine. I also grew up with GSD's but they were my mums' choice... I admire so may large breed dogs but never had a :love: moment until I saw Tribocie's Anatolians....

Unfortunately with our full time work commitments and long commute / two Labs / suburban backyard I think it will be quite a while before we can even contemplate adding another puppy to our family.

My female Lab needs to be managed around other dogs so i would suspect i will have to be semi retired and mostly at home to manage a third - plus a move to a bigger block might be in order - then I can eventually have more :laugh:

So like you millbrooksprings I will ogle / annoy and generally be obsessed until my circumstances change...

I have launched a full on offensive to convince my OH this is our next addition and I think he is coming around to my way of thinking - I guess all the puppy piccies I bombarded him with over the last few days were probably a bit sneaky but worked a treat :D

Edited by Double Lab Love

Hi Double Lab Love,

We are the owners of the dogs you met on on Saturday! Thank you for you nice comments on our dogs!

We are showing most weekends over the next little while. We are Castle Hill this weekend. I think you need to bring the OH along to meet them ????

Hi Double Lab Love,

We are the owners of the dogs you met on on Saturday! Thank you for you nice comments on our dogs!

We are showing most weekends over the next little while. We are Castle Hill this weekend. I think you need to bring the OH along to meet them

Protectorasd...

At the risk of repeating myself yet again - they were just amazing and beautiful examples of their breed...

I have my fingers crossed that my future path includes owning one of these wonderful dogs..

I have had so much fun researching, looking at piccies and reading up on the history and breed characteristics - my work colleagues / friends and family have declared me rather obsessed :D

But that's fine with me !

Yes - I was very underhanded using puppy piccies but the end result was worth it ! I think meeting your lovely dogs in person will be icing on the cake :D

Thank you for letting me know you will be at Castle Hill this weekend - if we can get there we will and i am positive that you will find may more ASD admirers over the next few weeks :)

• 3 months later...

ASDCV's Fun Day At the Royal

As part of the Royal Melbourne Show's Rare Breed Showcase,

the Anatolian Shepherd Dog Club Of Victoria Inc

will be conducting a meet the breed and information stand

on: Monday October 1st, 2012.

Members of the public, prospective Anatolian Shepherd owners, trainee judges, ASDCV members

are invited to attend ASDCV's Fun Day At the Royal

to meet the Anatolian Stars and to ask questions about the breed.

Anatolian Stars Confirmed in attendance:

Bear

bearfunday.jpg

Cosette

cosettefundayb.jpg

Calaf

calaffundayb.jpg

Galatea

galateafunday.jpg

Humphry

humphryfunday.jpg

& Obi

nesunobifundayb.jpg

For more information about ASDCV's Fun Day at the Royal, please see the ASDCV Events Webpage

3. How common is it in Australia?

Relatively uncommon, and outside dog circles, generally unknown.

4. What is the average lifespan?

12 to 15 years

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

The Anatolian is an ancient breed native to Asia Minor. It is also known as the Turkish Shepherd Dog (Çoban Köpegi) where he protects flocks and serves as a shepherd's companion. On the high Anatolian Plateau, where summers are hot and very dry and winters are cold, the Çoban Köpegi lives outside all year round. For centuries it was used as a combat dog in war and for hunting. It was particularly valued for the victorious battles it could fight with wolves. As a sheepdog, it was bothered by neither fatigue nor bad weather. Today the Anatolian Çoban Köpegi is still used as a sheep dog as well as a guard dog.

Anatolians (ASDs) are suspicious by nature. They like to observe what is around them and make their own mind up on whether something poses a risk or not. In Australia there is no division between working lines or show lines; individual breeders may breed or prefer a certain temperament type.

Some Anatolians are good family dogs some are not. In an assertive rank orientated ASD, human aggression is not unusual. Breed fanciers need to keep in mind the Anatolian is a primitive guardian dog, and as such individual ASDs will exhibit traits (to varying degrees) in keeping with this description.

Some temperament descriptions state: 'ASD, good with children'. TBH I don't know why they write this. It is folklore. A blanket "good with children" for the ASD is simply not true. Yes, some ASD can be very good with children, but it would be applicable to the minority of adult ASDs in Australia. Some ASD do not make good people dogs at all (except for their owner). A prospective owner with children, certainly does not want an assertive, rank orientated ASD living with them in a suburban family home.

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

An Anatolian living as a working dog will take care of its own exercise (obviously) :)

An ASD living as a family dog in a farm or rural environment with large paddocks or acreage to roam, will benefit from and enjoy, a one-on-one stroll or activity with its owner each day. This is also excellent for strengthening bonds and reinforcing leadership.

An ASD living as a family dog in a suburban environment will have more difficulty attaining optimal physical condition wrt bones, muscles, and general soundness of structure, because the natural ability for the ASD to move at its own leisure is compromised. That being said, a 1 to 1.5 hour walk every day will be sufficient for an adult ASD. Although it will not tire an adult ASD at all, rather give the ASD an important and enjoyable activity to undertake with its owner.

Adult ASDs should not be exercised off lead in public places.

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

Generally, no.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

No pack animal likes to spend the majority of its time, in its own company. 'Independent' should not be confused with Isolation, and parallels drawn between a solo working ASD living with goats, and an ASD living on its own in the backyard.

An ASD can certainly find something to do ... a bored ASD will almost always find a destructive task (from the human point of view) to occupy itself with, and sometimes a young ASD will be destructive when it is not bored, but just because it can.

From the Anatolian point of view: what does not work the first time, might work the second, and if it adjusts its approach slightly, a different end result might be obtained.

Most Anatolians easily work out how to open doors, go through windows and generally get the most out of their environment and any opportunity that presents itself.

9. How much grooming is required?

The Anatolian has a thick double coat that requires minimal grooming (rough coat varieties require brushing once a fortnight). The Anatolian coat sheds lightly all year round, dropping more coat with the changing seasons.
 Brushing and washing required is minimal - if the Anatolian gets dirty, the mud tends to dry and fall off their coat and they look clean again. 
 In Turkey the shepherds’ dogs are never brushed, so when they shed their undercoat it gathers like dreadlocks until the coat falls out in pieces likes a shedding sheep.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

Because of their size and strength, a family Anatolian should always be supervised when being the companion of young children.

Regarding the infirm: common sense dictates that modern companion purpose breeds are a more appropriate breed choice, over a primitive guardian dog. An infirm person cannot properly control their ASD if the need arises.

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

Overall the Anatolian is a robust, hardy breed. There are incidences of hip dysplasia and entropion in the Australian ASD population, but these are not endemic in the breed.

ASD owners need to be responsible for their own contribution to their Anatolian's health and well being, and not overfeed their ASD, as well as ensuring their ASD has the appropriate level of exercise for its age and environment.

Excluding the baby puppy period, ASDs should be kept lean for the first 12 to 18 months.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

All Anatolians are not suited to all homes.

Puppy buyers should find an ANKC Registered breeder who will consider the type of Anatolian that will match their requirements IE: type of household (children, other pets), environment (suburban, rural), expectations (ie what you want to do with the dog: stock guard, family companion), and determine a suitable puppy accordingly.

Anatolians are not the type of dog where it will benefit the puppy buyer to choose for themselves, which ASD puppy they should live with. An ill matched puppy and home can encounter problems as early as their first week together - if you find your ASD puppy is more of a challenge than you expected, then contact your breeder asap ... ASDs rarely change their mindset, but we can change the way in which an ASD is managed.

Edited by lilli