Not A Breed For First Timers

Some breeds are routinely described as "not a breed for first time dog owners". Usually because of their specific training and/or management requirements.

My first dog that wasn't a family dog, was my first Saluki. Definitely not something that most people recommend, but I worked it out eventually and now I have 4.

Anyone else make a success of it? Any experiences where it really didn't work?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first dog that wasn't a family dog was an Alaskan Malamute. We had a GSD, a Keeshond and a Mini Schnauzer when I was growing up but I didn't really have anything do to with their training etc so it was certainly a baptism of fire! I have a Dobe now, and while challenging at times, she's nowhere near as much hard work as he was!

I'd say my boy fits the category as a borzoi with a high prey drive. As a pup he was so very difficult, super independant. I enlisted the aid of his breeder and a trainer which helped immensely and now i have a well balanced teenage dog. Still a little crazy but controllable and become a lovely cuddler.

My first dog was a doberman, and whilst it was difficult (he went through a faze of wanting to fight other dogs and grew stronger than me), we bonded so strongly and so quickly that it just wasn't all that hard. I followed Cesar Milan, and now he's an amazing virtually bomb proof dog but also protects me when needed.

Through my partner we now have a second dog, a GSD, and she is actually a much easier puppy. That said, I haven't bonded to her for some reason - she's a dog whereas my dobe is my best friend, and so it has seemed much more difficult.

Edited by jacqui835

My mum's first dog was the "not recommended for first time dog owners" Weimaraner... I believe she had some issues but coped fine, and we got another (my first dog) when I was 8. They can be a hard breed, but I found the weimaraner easier to deal with than the family friendly English Setter...

My mum's first dog was the "not recommended for first time dog owners" Weimaraner... I believe she had some issues but coped fine, and we got another (my first dog) when I was 8. They can be a hard breed, but I found the weimaraner easier to deal with than the family friendly English Setter...

My mum's first dog was a Weim too but she didn't cope well at all. We went for a GR after that and things went much better.

A Lab was my first dog so not exactly a difficult breed. Oddly enough I now never want another, I like the challenge of my Samoyeds :laugh:

My first breed is chi's but IMO they don't really count as they are so easy to manage :p

In comparison my sibe has been a bit of a shock to the system, I didn't really have massive expectations in terms of obedience but the reality was still a challenge. I love my sibe but I'm going to try for an 'easier' breed just to see what it's like to have a dog come when it's called :laugh:

Guest Clover

My first dog was, well is Clover. Not a great mix (Rottie x ACD) for a young first time dog owner. We had some issues when she was young but with a lot of hard work we got there in the end. And at nearly 13 years old she is a wonderful dog, although still a bit naughty at times :laugh:.

Hmm, Buster was the first dog that was really all mine. He had a crappy upbringing and was left with issues that I didn't know how to fix untill they were full blown issues. (very DA and general anxiety)

Hes not an easy dog in many respects, but he's taught me so much and I love him more than I could imagine.

My mum's first dog was a Weim too but she didn't cope well at all. We went for a GR after that and things went much better.

A Lab was my first dog so not exactly a difficult breed. Oddly enough I now never want another, I like the challenge of my Samoyeds :laugh:

What's challenging about Samoyeds? Aside from the grooming. They always come across as lovely, friendly, happy dogs who are willing to please. Not that I know very many but that's the impression I get. Are they not like that?

My first dog as an adult was a staffy cross. It was a disastrous choice. :(

I believe that the personality of the individual owner & their compatibility with a certain breed is far more important than if they are a first time owner.

I am too easy going for the constant assertiveness needed for some breeds. I also struggle with stubbornness in training.

This would be the case if it was my first dog or my 10th.

Equally, I am sure there are people who thrive on these kinds of challenges & who would have no problem with "difficult" breeds straight off the bat.

We all have very different expectations, requirements & abilities.

Edited by dee lee

I have never not had a dog in my life, grew up training and playing with them. But Atlas was MY first dog that I had total control over when it came to training.

He drove me nuts, but i got there in the end :) He was in the highest obedience class, huge thanks to the trainers who helped me get through to him!

He is still pig headed and pushes the boundaries all the time, but i wouldnt give him up for the world!

My first dog as a married adult was a Sharpei. After six months we got a second one and they were perfect. No issues and everyone commented how well behaved they were. Sharpei are regularly not recommended for first time dog owners as they can be very strong willed and stubborn but we did go to dog training regularly for the first few years and even went to agility with our second girl.

They both passed away last year after 13 years together and we still miss them terribly. I think we were very lucky in these two with their personalities as I regularly meet other Sharpei who are much more stubborn

Nope, the dogs I like and own have reputations as "easy" breeds.

I have rejected some breeds for me on the basis that they can be challenging to own. I'm not sure I want that kind of challenge but I do admire some from afar. :)

Edited by poodlefan

My first dog was a Rotty. Generally I don't know how difficult they are, but my girl was a challenge - to say the least. She was VERY dominant - and I was not use to this as I grew up with Goldens. She was also very stubborn. I rememeber calling my mum when she was about 6 months old saying "I just don't know what to do!!!".

I persisted with her and she is now 8 years old and on the whole a very good girl. She still has her moments where she is hard work (some days she is more work than my 6 month old puppy!!!!), and she sometimes decides doing something naughty, like stealing food, is worth the punishment. Other days she is an angel. :D

Although it was very frustrating I would not change anything as I learnt from my mistakes.

:laugh: ah, well everyone told us not to get an Akita. They're child killers, dontcha know??

Sure, Kuma is a stubborn so and so, and training him is a challenge. We are doing just fine, thanks very much.

The traits that drew us to the breed are what make him difficult to train. He is independent and aloof - great when he's an only dog and spends much of his time in the yard when we are at work, but also not so great when you want him to work in a structured obedience class. We just have to be more creative to make it work for us.

I would have another Akita in a heartbeat.