Plaque Remover

oakway

I am sorry I don't stock the scraper type.

It would be possible to scratch the tooth with both types I imagine if done wrong.

I "pick and flick" at the tarter and not on the tooth if that makes sense.

okey dokey, I'll try the pick-and-flick method again...I wish they would stop suddenly flicking their tongues up and licking their teeth when I'm doing it...Their little tongues Are In Danger!

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boronia - is it their front teeth or back?

I've not done the teeth scraping before, but I've managed enough with teeth brushing. I can imagine me holding my boy's mouth gently closed with one hand, using the little finger of the other hand to pull back his lip far enough and simultaneously doing the 'pick and flick' technique with the scaler, in that same hand. My boy's problem teeth are the very back molars. Holding the mouth closed stops the tongue :).

Edited by Erny

Just wondering with all these home dentists around (I too am a tartar scraper and flickerer offer), whether we are at risk of heart disease with the bacteria we are possibly allowing into our dogs bloodstream via ingestion? I understand that when a vet does a "dental" he also admisiters antibiotics to protect the heart from bacterial infection for this very reason? :confused:

Edited by LizT

Interested in the answer to that one, LizT. Didn't know a thing about tartar causing heart disease :scared: .

ETA: But if that's the case, then it is dangerous to allow your dog to chew a bone to remove the tartar :confused: ?? I wouldn't have thought so ???

Edited by Erny

Interested in the answer to that one, LizT. Didn't know a thing about tartar causing heart disease :scared: .

Apparently it does in humans too. Good dental hygene can prolonge your life expectancy by about 5 years. Poor dental hygene contributes to heart disease.

Boronia - is it their front teeth or back?

I've not done the teeth scraping before, but I've managed enough with teeth brushing. I can imagine me holding my boy's mouth gently closed with one hand, using the little finger of the other hand to pull back his lip far enough and simultaneously doing the 'pick and flick' technique with the scaler, in that same hand. My boy's problem teeth are the very back molars. Holding the mouth closed stops the tongue :).

It is the back molars that have the tarter Erny, I will try to do it with the mouth closed, that'll fix the tongue problem...doh, didn't think of that :laugh: it just seemed to be easier to lift the lips back if their mouths are open. May not work very well on Daisy as she is missing those three teeth behind the canines and her tongue can pop out in the toothless gap (her previous owner said that she had only ever gone to the vet for shots hummmm)

Thanks for posting the YouTube video, it is really informative. What a polite and calm Schnauzer Greta-Marie is.

Edited by Boronia

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to update you all on Proden Plaque - I've been wondering why it has taken so long for my shipment....turns out customs has siezed it !!!!!

Anyone who is waiting on this from me, please accept my appologies, I am working very hard on getting it released, but so far is not looking good. I will keep you all updated as soon as I know more... :confused:

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to update you all on Proden Plaque - I've been wondering why it has taken so long for my shipment....turns out customs has siezed it !!!!!

Anyone who is waiting on this from me, please accept my appologies, I am working very hard on getting it released, but so far is not looking good. I will keep you all updated as soon as I know more... :confused:

Staffordfan just tell them the product is available in Australia on the open market. It is distibuted by the Troy Company. Also tell them they do this on a regular basis and then it is always released.

Ask if the product in future can be marked on their computers as already available in the country.

Well no luck yet, seems I have to jump through some hoops, guy at customs would not budge at all !!!!Very frustrated at this point - This is an expensive product and I stand to loose alot of money.I'm for waiting a reply from the UK distributor to see if they can help me in any way. :confused:

Hi Guys,

Staffordfan just tell them the product is available in Australia on the open market. It is distibuted by the Troy Company. Also tell them they do this on a regular basis and then it is always released.

Ask if the product in future can be marked on their computers as already available in the country.

Edited by Staffordfan

Well no luck yet, seems I have to jump through some hoops, guy at customs would not budge at all !!!!Very frustrated at this point - This is an expensive product and I stand to loose alot of money.I'm for waiting a reply from the UK distributor to see if they can help me in any way. :confused:

Hi Guys,

Go higher up the chain in the department.

You could get your local member involved.

Is this the the Brisbane customs or customs in your local area.

You could also ring Canberra and speak to the minister in charge.

I finally bought the Troy plaque off at my local pet warehouse. I'm anxious to start using it on my JS pup's food but atm he is on antibiotics for a torn off toe nail. Would the antibiotics destroy the action to the P/O.

Hi Guys,

Go higher up the chain in the department.

You could get your local member involved.

Is this the the Brisbane customs or customs in your local area.

You could also ring Canberra and speak to the minister in charge.

It doesn't mater if the product can be bought on the shelves here or not, having been through this many times over....

If I have a permit to import and you don't, they can still seize your items and make you jump through hoops to have it released.

They also don't keep a list on computer or paper of items you have had previous released to avoid it in the future.

Most times customs want manufacturer's confirmation that the products used are 100% synthetic or mineral.

I finally bought the Troy plaque off at my local pet warehouse. I'm anxious to start using it on my JS pup's food but atm he is on antibiotics for a torn off toe nail. Would the antibiotics destroy the action to the P/O.

I doubt that it would have any affect, but I'd be inclined to wait until the antibiotic course is completed - simply from the pov that if your dog had a reaction (not that this has been the general case with the PlaqueOff, but you never know), you'll be wondering if it was the antibiotics or the PlaqueOff.

A question that is slightly off topic, although perhaps not :shrug: .....

If a couple of teeth are coated with plaque/tartar, but Plaque Off is being used and is having some effect, will the plaque/tartar that is under the gum-line dissolve away too, or is that something that needs to have canine dental attention?

A question that is slightly off topic, although perhaps not :shrug: .....

If a couple of teeth are coated with plaque/tartar, but Plaque Off is being used and is having some effect, will the plaque/tartar that is under the gum-line dissolve away too, or is that something that needs to have canine dental attention?

Good question Erny :shrug: Anyone here that may be able to help.

By the way I forgot to say that an old fashioned metal nail file is a handy object for removing tarter from dogs teeth.

So if you have mislaid your scaler you can always try the nail file.