Plaque Remover

oakway

hello :) sorry for not coming in sooner to let you all know how the canadian [locally imported] product has handled in place of the branded product.

firstly, i purchased it as powder [much like talc] so it is harder to distribute and i find i need to mix it slightly in with their food [next time i will purchase the flakes]. secondly, none of my pets baulked at the change. thirdly, my pets continue to have pleasant breath. fourthly, last month at my two dogs' scheduled checkup, their vet remarked at the health of their teeth and gums [but recommended that i ocassionally brush bella's canines].

lastly, it would be dangerous for me to promote the use of the canadian [locally imported] product. i will say however that i've been using it since 24/25 sept 2012, the same quantity once a day and their good oral health has continued.

note, the canadian [locally imported] product is certified organic kelp (norwegian/atlantic) derived from the exact same kelp [ascophyllum nodosum] as the branded product. it cost $7.60 for 250g.

i hope that helps :)

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will buy some of that then!

just out of interest I Googled D1070 (the ingredient/seaweed in Plaque Off) and found this other product which says D1070 = Ascophyllum Nodosum.

So it does have the same ingredient as anniek and Skruffy n Flea said

here is the screenshot of the PDF

post-26505-0-28691400-1354928769_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

For those that have used the canadian organic kelp in powder form, do you use the same amount? I'm going to order some of this given it's so much cheaper, and was thinking of using the little scoop that came with the plaque off.

For those that have used the canadian organic kelp in powder form, do you use the same amount? I'm going to order some of this given it's so much cheaper, and was thinking of using the little scoop that came with the plaque off.

I am using about 1/4 more than the Plaque Off per-kilo dosage as it is a powder and the plaque Off was sort-of concentrated in hard tiny lumps. I looked at the bag it came in and there are no dosage recommendations, I think I will write have just written to them to find out.

Edited by Boronia

I am using about 1/4 more than the Plaque Off per-kilo dosage as it is a powder and the plaque Off was sort-of concentrated in hard tiny lumps. I looked at the bag it came in and there are no dosage recommendations, I think I will write have just written to them to find out.

Thanks Boronia, that's what made me wonder about dosage with it being a powder.

I use slightly more than with the original Plaque Off - a rounded measure instead of flat.

I found a place in Sydney that sells it! New Directions

I use slightly more than with the original Plaque Off - a rounded measure instead of flat.

Thanks toshman.

i try to use the same amount [but with it being a powder much like talc, it lacks density and therefore weight]! in my view the powdered product is exactly the same; with the branded product however, they've used a binding agent to form granules, and if in one scoop of that you account for the air surrounding each granule, one scoop of the powder [if compacted] would likely equate to the same or perhaps a little more. just my take on it :)

thanks for the link and WOAH, what's with that disclaimer!

i try to use the same amount [but with it being a powder much like talc, it lacks density and therefore weight]! in my view the powdered product is exactly the same; with the branded product however, they've used a binding agent to form granules, and if in one scoop of that you account for the air surrounding each granule, one scoop of the powder [if compacted] would likely equate to the same or perhaps a little more. just my take on it :)

thanks for the link and WOAH, what's with that disclaimer!

Very verbose! They seem to have it below just about every product, too :)

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the amount to give per weight of the dog...I wrote to Impact Supplements, where I bought the kelp/Ascophyllum nodosum powder, received no reply, so I wrote to Starwest Botanicals, who make the product and asked them.

I received an email today, it said:

Dear (my name here),

Thank you for your contact.

When using herbs for health purposes, this is information you must gather either for yourself online, through books, or from an herbal or health practitioner. In order for proper dosage to be given, all kinds of things must be taken into account (ie. body weight, current medications, etc).

We are not herbalists and are not licensed to supply dosage or usage information for herbs being used for health purposes--we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please see an herbal practitioner if you require someone to issue you additional information.

We hope you find this information helpful. Please let us know if we may be of more assistance. Thank you for choosing Starwest!

Best regards,

Julie Tan

Sales Representative

so we are back to square 1,

Do any DOLers know of a herbal practitioner who can advise us on the amount to be given?

Edited by Boronia

I have used Petzlife oral care for about 8 years, first used it on my old girl who would not let me

clean her teeth and they were very badly covered in plaque. It was amazing in about 4 months most

of the plaque had gone. I know use it on any of my dogs who wont let me clean their teeth especially

the oldies. It comes in a spray or gel and all you do is spray it on or wipe it over teeth once a day.

Will be interested to see if Proden works as it sounds very easy to us.

Ive just ordered the petzlife one, its been recommended to me by people who have Cavs.

Its exxy but I was able to source it here in Australia.(its manufactured in America)

Hopefully it works as brushing their teeth regularly with dog toothpaste had not been effective, neither was the green additive stuff which the vets suggested we use in their water ( we don't trust it to be honest)

I cant wait to get it and try it !

It seems that most places in Australia source the ascophyllum nodosum (seaweed) powder for cosmetic purposes. I've just found a store in WA that sells 500g for $8:

Aromatherapy Supplies -- they're all listed alphabetically so you need to scroll down to 'S' for Seaweed Powder.

Here's a link to their PDF info about the powder stocked: Ascophyllum Nodosum PDF

I have used Petzlife oral care for about 8 years, first used it on my old girl who would not let me

clean her teeth and they were very badly covered in plaque. It was amazing in about 4 months most

of the plaque had gone. I know use it on any of my dogs who wont let me clean their teeth especially

the oldies. It comes in a spray or gel and all you do is spray it on or wipe it over teeth once a day.

Will be interested to see if Proden works as it sounds very easy to us.

Ive just ordered the petzlife one, its been recommended to me by people who have Cavs.

Its exxy but I was able to source it here in Australia.(its manufactured in America)

Hopefully it works as brushing their teeth regularly with dog toothpaste had not been effective, neither was the green additive stuff which the vets suggested we use in their water ( we don't trust it to be honest)

I cant wait to get it and try it !

good luck jules and let us know what you think :) be careful too if it contains that sugar substitute zylitol.

It seems that most places in Australia source the ascophyllum nodosum (seaweed) powder for cosmetic purposes. I've just found a store in WA that sells 500g for $8:

Aromatherapy Supplies -- they're all listed alphabetically so you need to scroll down to 'S' for Seaweed Powder.

Here's a link to their PDF info about the powder stocked: Ascophyllum Nodosum PDF

woah! so cheap! and that pdf file provided some excellent info. great find :)

As this stuff is only seaweed, I'm wondering if it's even possible to overdose on. Zeus is only 13 to 15 kilos and he's been getting 3 heaped spoons of Proden PlaqueOff and Kirah is under 10 kilos has been getting 2 heaped spoonfuls. Both having been going fine and have had no adverse effects to the extra seaweed.

I had to up Kirah's dosage anyway as her back molars weren't getting better -- now both have shiny white teeth. :D :thumbsup: