I'm An Even Crankier Dobber

dee lee

thank goodness Honey is ok! Same cannot be said about my friends cattle dog who hasnt had the most pleasent start to life anyway. He is nearly three and was only JUST getting good with other dogs who had play dates with him. The other day my friend took them up the back to feed the ponies - as she always does, and he walked over to the fence where two MONSTER pigging dogs grabbed him through the fence and tried to drag him through the bigger holes in the dog wire :eek: the vet said that he had NEVER seen such injuries on a LIVE animal!! They pretty much had to reconstruct his whole throat and there were many times when it looked like he was not going to pull through :( he is on the mend but the next 10 days are critical! My friends hubby told the neighbours they had one week to get rid of them or he was going over with the gun! what do people expect when they TRAIN these dogs to KILL?!?! why are people so stupid :mad

I know this has been done before on other threads but I just wanted to inform Puddles that a 'proper' hunting or pigging dog is not "trained to kill' anything. They are required to hold the pig or bail it up until the hunter shoots it or stabs it. A good hunting dog is not usually dog aggressive as it works with other dogs regularly and should be used to mixing with dogs outside it usual pack. These dogs are taken onto farms and properties that also have valuable livestock and there is no way the farmers would alow that if these dogs were killing or maiming their stock. Unfortunately there are a lot of bogan idiots who get themselves a 'pig dog' or 2 and like to play at being 'hunters'. It is those people who create the misconception that you have brought into.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank goodness Honey is ok! Same cannot be said about my friends cattle dog who hasnt had the most pleasent start to life anyway. He is nearly three and was only JUST getting good with other dogs who had play dates with him. The other day my friend took them up the back to feed the ponies - as she always does, and he walked over to the fence where two MONSTER pigging dogs grabbed him through the fence and tried to drag him through the bigger holes in the dog wire :eek: the vet said that he had NEVER seen such injuries on a LIVE animal!! They pretty much had to reconstruct his whole throat and there were many times when it looked like he was not going to pull through :( he is on the mend but the next 10 days are critical! My friends hubby told the neighbours they had one week to get rid of them or he was going over with the gun! what do people expect when they TRAIN these dogs to KILL?!?! why are people so stupid :mad

I know this has been done before on other threads but I just wanted to inform Puddles that a 'proper' hunting or pigging dog is not "trained to kill' anything. They are required to hold the pig or bail it up until the hunter shoots it or stabs it. A good hunting dog is not usually dog aggressive as it works with other dogs regularly and should be used to mixing with dogs outside it usual pack. These dogs are taken onto farms and properties that also have valuable livestock and there is no way the farmers would alow that if these dogs were killing or maiming their stock. Unfortunately there are a lot of bogan idiots who get themselves a 'pig dog' or 2 and like to play at being 'hunters'. It is those people who create the misconception that you have brought into.

dobesrock - i realise this but unfortunately all the people that I seem to have come across are these bogan idiots you speak of! well, the ones around here are anyway!

Glad to hear Honey was not injured or too phased by the attack.

Good on you for reporting it.

I really don't understand why people feel the need to let their dogs roam and wander around off leash. What's the point supposed to be as I'm sure the dogs in question really don't feel like they get some super privilege that our on leash and under control dogs don't get. Are the owners just that dumb and really believe something like that?

Glad to hear Honey was not injured or too phased by the attack.

Good on you for reporting it.

I really don't understand why people feel the need to let their dogs roam and wander around off leash. What's the point supposed to be as I'm sure the dogs in question really don't feel like they get some super privilege that our on leash and under control dogs don't get. Are the owners just that dumb and really believe something like that?

I have no idea why they think it's ok. It's so very very risky, even without taking aggression into account.

I was speaking to a local friend who has a dog & she has said she avoids it because she has seen it go for other dogs. :eek:

I intend on spreading the word.

Well I just walked near the scene of the crime & gee, guess what?! The dally was hanging on the street again OFFLEAD. :mad

This guy truly is a dickhead.

So, I dobbed again. :D

The council officer I spoke to said that the owner is the subject of an ongoing investigation & he is sending the rangers there immediately. :thumbsup:

Well I just walked near the scene of the crime & gee, guess what?! The dally was hanging on the street again OFFLEAD. icon_smile_mad.gif

So, I dobbed again. biggrin.gif

The council officer I spoke to said that the owner is the subject of an ongoing investigation & he is sending the rangers there immediately.

Good for you!

Well I just walked near the scene of the crime & gee, guess what?! The dally was hanging on the street again OFFLEAD. :mad

The council officer I spoke to said that the owner is the subject of an ongoing investigation & he is sending the rangers there immediately. :thumbsup:

Love your work! Perhaps it's time council change the way they deal with this tosser, what they're doing now is obviously not working.

Love your work! Perhaps it's time council change the way they deal with this tosser, what they're doing now is obviously not working.

:D

I have to say, I was gobsmacked when I saw it out again! :eek:

I expected the guy to keep a low profile for at least a couple of days. He obviously thinks he is above the law. :mad

I did tell the officer that its always out and that I'm concerned the owner may hide the dog when he sees the rangers coming, but he assured me they would try and catch him off guard.

Well just a quick update.

I took Honey for a run past the site this morning, a bit nervously I might add, and hooray! The dog was on a long lead!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I shall continue to remain vigilant, but I'm very happy that my actions weren't wasted!! :D

Kudos to City of Sydney Council! :thumbsup:

I took Honey for a run past the site this morning, a bit nervously I might add, and hooray! The dog was on a long lead!!

:) Now email that to the council! ;) They'll be happy!

yes, I will do that! :D

Good to hear!! If he starts letting the dog off again after a while and the Council catch him enough times they can put a nuisance order on the dog too.

Hi Mel :wave:

This may be the case already, apparently he is under ongoing investigation.

Good to hear Honey is ok and not phased by other dogs as a result.

I remember walking to the bus stop when I was in school and everyday I had to walk past this property with an unleashed/unfenced dog that used to patrol his front yard. A few times he crossed the road to come over and growl at us (we were in high school at the time). Never attacked, but geez it was close. I started picking up sticks/branches just in case. I always worried about the possibly of younger kids coming into contact with that dog. The bogan owner used to walk out and yell to the dog to come back. Basically useless as the dog did whatever it wanted.

Seriously, some people are just morons.

That's awful! Poor honey! I'm glad she is okay, poor girl. :(

I've had this happen to me many times especially when riding my horse. Once I was out riding my Arab who was a flighty bugger and we got rushed by two crossbreds. Of course my Arab freaked out and bolted like a mad thing with me desperately trying to steer him and pull him up. We were on the road so it couldve ended up very bad for me if there had been a car coming. I left a note in the ladies letter box telling her off and leaving my number, of course I got no response.

I avoided riding on that street for about six months until I bought my quarterhorse. He's a lit calmer and self assured so one day I decided to ride down there again. Once again the dogs came charging out and nipped at his heels, he stood still and double barreled one of the dogs, they took off back into their yard and the owner came out yelling at me for letting my horse kick her dog! I politely told her that her effing dogs need to be in their effing yard and if the wanted her dogs heads to remain on their bodies she had better keep them secured when I ride past as my horse wouldn't put up with being attacked.

We moved shortly after so I have no idea if she did indeed keep them locked up or not.

I had a similar issue Danielle except for we were going past a caravan park that had many long term people and allowed pet in a semi rural setting(small acreages)

My horse was unflappable, but after was an idiot standing behind a large bushy tree and sicing his dog onto us for the third time from memory, I got a little peed off. I heard him, waited for it, the dog came out, I spun my little Pali round and as she had a hair trigger anyway, were off at an almost gallop pursuing said dog who was bolting, went within feet of said iodiot owner who was standing there very shocked and told him if he ever did that again not only would I report him to the ranger for a loose dog and the police for inciting an attack I would bloody well run him over.

Suprisingly we never had an issue again. There were many mnay people who rode past that place and I shudder to think of the people and horses he scared and injured being a d*^khead.

Thankfully my horse didn't care less, but aren't there a huge amount of idiots. If it had of been my next horse it would have lost it's head!

In my area there is a pine forest where you can walk your dogs on or off leash it covers about 10 acreas.

My friend and I were walking our two dogs (on leash thank God)and were just about 8 mtrs from our car when we noticed a woman sitting outside her car drinking coffee. We thought that she was waiting for someone (she could see us and see our dogs were on leash).

The next thing we know she threw her coffee on the ground and proceeded to open the back of her car.

Her dogs rushed out and ran straight up and started to growl at our two girls (GSDs). I yelled at her to get her dogs away or put them on lead but she just stood here with a stupid look on her face. She called them back but they took off some mtrs down the track and then they came back to us but we were lucky enough to have reached our car and placed our dog in the back. I said the women what a silly thing to do as there could have been a dog fight and who knows what could have happened.

• 1 month later...

I am so so mad. :mad

The dally tried to attack us again.

Honey & I regularly run down a street that is adjacent to the one the dally is attached to, recently I have noticed that it has been offlead again. I haven't called the council because I havent had my phone & I have been busy. In retrospect that was a mistake.

Today as we were approaching the junction of the streets I saw the dog. It was at the corner & offlead. :o

It was too late to turn around & hadn't seen us yet so I quickly darted around the corner and down the next street. It saw us and started after us roaring! I turned and yelled at it "NO", which did nothing this time :( but it alerted the owner who came out & yelled & made it stop..

So then says something like "they're dogs, they'll sort it out!"!!!!! :eek:

I tell him his dog has bitten mine before & that I'm calling the council & that he is sposed to have it onlead. Ranting at him from about 100m away.

He then gestures & says "come here", presumably to "sort it out". I tell him to F off & run away. :o

Ok not my finest moment :laugh: , but I was really shaken & was not going anywhere near him OR his dog.

I've reported it. Waiting on the ranger to call me back.

It's so upsetting. All I can think is thank god my daughters weren't with me. I'd just dropped them at school. :(

dee lee, I'd say your moment was a very fine one. :thumbsup: You were dealing with someone so thick and insensitive to others that he couldn't see the damage & havoc he was causing by letting his dog off-lead in public.

Good on you, all round... right up to reporting it to the council ranger.

DOLers have said many times, that 'dangerous' dog incidents could be greatly prevented if the already existing laws were monitored and policed. Like the simple one of having dogs on leads & under firm control when out in public.

The bloke you met deserves the book thrown at him, in this regard. And the streets might get a bit safer, if it does.

I am really proud you are taking action here Dee lee, you and Honey deserve much better than that, and so do any other members of the public who might be walking dogs on the same path. Just want to stress you are doing the right thing and you have a heap of guts at that. Running away from the guy doesn't change that, I surely wouldn't have stuck around myself, that would be asking for trouble.

Unfortunately this moron has not learned from what I've been reading. I would actually consider calling the police as well as the council this time - the man actually threatened you this time, and that's not on. You also mentioned that this guy had a panelbeating business - it is him that owns the place, the owner of the aggressive dog? Because if not, if it my chance it's part of a chain or anything, you could put in a complaint with the business as well. If there is a business reputation at stake action may result then!

Keep us posted about what the ranger says, and try not to stress too much over it, I know how upsetting these sort of incidents are. Zeke and I are cheering for you!