My Baby Chantie

dogslife

She came into our lives as a friend for our Rottie x puppy. Our elderly dog, Boo had just died suddenly and our 7mth old Ella was missing the company. We visited many rescue groups and pounds looking for a friend for Ella. Ella was terrified of all the dogs we took her to meet. I had nearly given up when I heard of two wolfhound pups at a rescue group. As I loved big dogs I thought that one of these might be the dogs for us.

We arrived to meet the wolfies but the lady brought out this 5 month old scraggly thin Rottie cross girl with wiry fur. Instantly Ella ran to greet her and they ran around the house together. They licked each other and rubbed muzzles. I was so surprised. I asked to meet the Wolfies but our Rottie girl hated them on sight. The lady brought out the wiry Rottie again and the two dogs loved each other as they nuzzled each other. I hadn’t planned on a second Rottie but these two were meant for each other. Chantie became our newest family member.

The rescue group that had owned her usually insisted that you wait 24 hours before taking a dog home. But these two were so meant to be together that they allowed her to leave with us that night. We got home about 8pm and at 9pm I rang the woman who had fostered her to tell her of what I was watching. The two girls were sharing the same bone…… one at either end.

Chantie became my shadow. She stayed next to me or her new sister all the time. When I took them for a walk I never had to have a leash on her. She would walk next to my left leg and watch me as we walked together. I loved her and so did our family.

She became the glue that linked all of us. Her fur grew softer as she learn to swim in the harbour and she started on a natural diet. She had been horribly abused before the rescue group had saved her but she flourished here and held no grudges. I joined the rescue group and became a foster-carer myself. Chantie loved all the dogs that arrived here. She cleaned all the puppies and licked all other visitors.

I loved her more and more every day. She slept in bed next to me with her head on my pillow. The minute I open my eyes in the morning she would lick my face. She rejoiced in life and her enthusiasm was catching. She was a food thief and was a master at getting to food left unattended. I often surprised her in the kitchen when she thought no one was around. She would have jumped up onto the bench’s to graze at food left out. Stealing butter was a favourite. She once stole my daughters 1 kilo chocolate from Haighs that she got for her birthday. A $600 vet bill to have all the dogs throw up was the result. She was known as the family garbage bin and a mandarin was her favourite food.her sisters followed her lead on food.

She was so well and happy that it never occurred to me that she could be ill. She had just turned 9 years old. Last week we all went to the shops and I bought everyone a pigs ear. She refused hers. I knew she must be ill. We raced to the vet and she was transferred to the ARH. She had a tumour that had burst. She went up and down over the next week and every day I drove the 30 mins each way, several times a day to see my baby. She wouldn’t go to the toilet without me so three times a day I went to take her out to the loo and tempt her with food. After a week they allowed her home for the night to see if she would pick up at home. She was overjoyed to be home. She lasted one day at home…….she went downhill so rapidly. She threw a clot on her lung. She died this morning back at the vets. My baby. I loved her so much.

post-8618-0-11611300-1312369336_thumb.jpg

I will miss you Chantie :cry:

You were ever optimistic that you would get a tidbit when we were having a cup of tea on the couch and you were such a gentle affectionate girl with a gorgeous soul.

Angs won't mind if you steal his pig's ears when he's not looking.

xxx

Oh no! What a complete shock to see this thread :cry: I'm so sorry :( The beautiful, gentle Chantie deserved so much more time with everyone.

I'll always remember the greetings at your front door and Chantie allowing me the honour of sharing her place on the lounge :)