Screaming Staffy - Help!

lashton

My husband and I got our 9 week old female Staffordshire Bull Terrier yesterday. She flew up from a breeder in Vic (to Syd), so it was a busy day for a little puppy. We got her into her crate once we'd got her home, had a play and went to the park for wees and poos. We followed all the research we've done and made sure the crate was a happy place to be - her blanket (with mum's scent), toys, we fed her in it etc. The first time we shut her in there she cried and screamed for about 10 minutes – we followed advice and ignored her attempts to be let out. Once she settled she fell asleep and stayed in there. This happened about three times throughout the afternoon – each time we put her in there after a fun play session, so she didn’t think she was being punished. Each time she cried (loudly), but settled after 5-10 minutes. We thought we were doing so well, until bed time arrived...

She settled and went to sleep in the crate – in the lounge room, as we were told to put it somewhere with a lot of traffic during the day so she could see us. She slept until midnight and then the screaming began. It sounded like we were skinning a pig – I have never heard sounds like it before and the neighbours must have thought we were murdering her. If it wasn’t for the fear of waking the neighbours (which we certainly did), I would have left her to cry it out. But we couldn’t as we live in an apartment and we will likely be thrown out if that sort of noise continues. So she ended up sleeping like a baby on the bed with us – not a habit I want to continue! We need her crate trained so she doesn’t tear the place apart if we need to leave her at home during the day. My husband will be taking her to work with him most days of the week while she is being crate trained.

It is now day two and my husband has gone away for three days and I am playing single mum to a brand new pup – no mean feat. I have been in tears all day dreading what will happen tonight and not wanting to get too bonded with her in case we have to give her to another family :cry: . We’re new in the building and I don’t think the neighbours will let this go on.

Can anyone suggest what we can do to help her settle? I’ve moved the crate into the bedroom, have a hot water bottle and a ticking clock. I wonder if the crate is too big (we bought one that will be big enough for her when she’s fully grown. We considered maybe using my husband's office for her to sleep in - it is in a building where there are no residents to disturb - it would allow her to cry and scream withour disturbing anyone, and then hopefully learn after a week or two that the behaviour is not acceptable. We would drop her there at night for bed and collect her early the next morning. What do people think about that possible solution? I am dreading going to bed tonight because I know what’s going to happen and if I give into her behaviour it will only reinforce the crying. But if I let her do it, the neighbours will kill me! What do I do? I have wanted a puppy for so long and my husband and i finally decided to do it after much serious consideration - but I had no idea it would be this hard. I am afraid I may have to get rid of her and that would break my heart. The breeder told me she was placid and we did so much research, but I am at a loss about what to do. Help!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is normal for them to scream and carry on the first few nights. Remember she is a little scared puppy taken away from all she knows, and a plane trip to boot. I'd be writing a note to the neighbours just asking them to be understanding and bear with you while she settles. I think taking her to your hubby's office overnight is just cruel, what if she needs to go out in the middle of the night? It certainly wouldn't help her learn it's not ok. You are expecting too much too soon. Take some deep breaths, and just try and relax and calm down.. The more stressed you are, the more stressed she will be.

It is normal for them to scream and carry on the first few nights. Remember she is a little scared puppy taken away from all she knows, and a plane trip to boot. I'd be writing a note to the neighbours just asking them to be understanding and bear with you while she settles. I think taking her to your hubby's office overnight is just cruel, what if she needs to go out in the middle of the night? It certainly wouldn't help her learn it's not ok. You are expecting too much too soon. Take some deep breaths, and just try and relax and calm down.. The more stressed you are, the more stressed she will be.

Thanks. It's just difficult with my husband being away and I'm not really sure if I'm doing the right thing. Should I be letting her sleep in the evening or try and keep her awake so she's really tired when i put her in the crate?

I know I should be putting her in the crate during the day as well, but once again I'm afraid of the noise she will make. I'm not really sure when I should be putting her in and taking her back out. There is so much conflicting inff out there.

The idea of the hubby's office is a bad one - you are punishing a puppy for being confused and lonely.

I would be dropping a note to the neighbours to tell them you have a new puppy.

I would have the crate in the bedroom so pup can see you. Put yourself in the pup's shoes - first night away from mum and littermates, had the unsettling moves of a flight and new home and then in the middle of the night - wakes up in strange place without those comforts. You'd be screaming too.

So - move the crate to the bedroom, start as you mean to go on (i.e no dog on bed if that's what you want) and let the neighbours know.

Also - your comment re crating pup in the crate if you have to leave her home so she does not destroy things. A dog should not be left crated alone for long periods of time.

Let her sleep, but make sure she gets a good hour of mental stimulation (start training her name, sit etc) and playing so she'll sleep through.. If she starts crying in the middle of the night she'll probably need to get up to toilet. She won't have the bladder capacity to hold on all night. Her crate only needs to be big enough to turn around in at the moment, so you can always block part of it off if you need to. The first few weeks are incredibly hard and you think 'what have i done' but once she's all settled in, you'll look back and see it was all worth it.

Agree with the previous post. Your expecting too much too fast. There is more to crate training than putting a blanket in and expecting that to make it a positive place to be.

Heres a quick link i found that you might find helpful in training your pup to find the crate a safe and positive place.

DONT be in a rush to close the door while you are training the crate and treat treat treat for ANY interaction with the crate. You want pup to see the crate as a place of yumminess and positiveness. Feed pup in his crate too. As he gets comfortable in the crate you can begin closing the door etc.

http://training-dogs.com/crate-training.html#method

Pup will need to go out at the very least once in the middle of the night too. Its important you dont put your puppy in a situation where it is forced to soil its crate. It must be taken out in the night to go to the toilet which means you must get up and take him out.

For me, i put my boys crate in my bedroom for the first few nights. I didnt interact with him at all but if his crying got too persistant i would just say 'quiet' in a slightly stern voice and that was enough for him to cease crying and settle. then slowly over a week or two i moved his crate from my room into the room he sleeps in. This may work for you.

Dont be disheartend by the crying. its normal.

Edited by Rileys mum

have you considered a smaller travel crate that can be situated beside your bed? Then when pup is settled into the family you can graduate him to his larger crate. I'm with Rileys mum on moving puppy in with you at night. They're only babies and we often have way too high expectations of what they can do successfully. good luck. :)

Great advice above, I have 4 dogs ranging from 5 to down to 3 the first 3 I did not use a crate for but the last boy had to have a crate for sleeping, I didn't crate him at all during the day, just supervised him took him out for toilet stops, he played with the other dogs and slept a lot, he toilet trained quickly (i think due to the other dogs he learnt from them) but at night he needed to go in the crate as he disrupted the other dogs and thier routine, the other 3 never did this they just settled at night but not this boy, he screamed blue murder for the first 3 nights, then it finally eased to a dull roar then he just knew I was just as stubborn as he was. :laugh: but I did have the crate next to the bed for the first year of his life and for a lot of that time my hand was on the crate at night so he knew I was just there. The crate is over the other side of the room now and he still sleeps in it, we think he thinks he is special as he has a crate and the others don't :rofl:

is it possible not to crate him during the day and just supervise him or have a dedicated area with maybe a barrier so he can only access parts of the house you choose, then just use the crate at night. Not sure if this is an acceptable method but its what I did and it worked for us so just a suggestion.

Good luck, would love to see pics of your new pup.

Can you put the crate beside the bed so she is near you?

When we got our last pup I spent the first night on the lounge room floor beside the crate and then moved him into the bedroom at night and put my fingers through the side of the crate and just slowly moved him further and further away until he eventually could sleep in the lounge room by himself.

Definitely move the crate into your bedroom or sleep in the lounge next to it. It's too much for her to be by herself at the moment. Over the next few weeks you can slowly move the crate out of the room to somewhere else as she builds her confidence. You will be fine :D

It sounded like we were skinning a pig – I have never heard sounds like it before and the neighbours must have thought we were murdering her.

You could always tell when we had Staffords in at the kennels, we had this sound all day every day... so glad Kaos is broken and doesnt do it :laugh:

good luck with it :)

Sold a couple of pups like this over the years :o

What I have recommended before is get a deep box instead of the crate for night time, something the pup can't climb out of. Put the box right beside the bed and when the pup starts up, take it out for a pee then put it straight back in the box, dangle your hand over the side of the bed into the box and say NOTHING. Don't pat the pup, don't move your hand at all. Nine times out of ten the pup will have a nibble on your fingers (yes I know, not a great habit but better than being evicted ;) ) and go back to sleep cuddled up next to your hand. Staffords are incredible tacticle dogs and some way more so than others. They can't seem to get the same comfort from fingers through the bars of a crate - to say nothing of how uncomfortable that is for you!

ETA: slowly slowly over 7-10 days you can probably get the pup into a crate at night. Me, I would recommend the pup sleeps in the same room as you until it is about 10-11 weeks old then slowly move it out to where you want it to be. I wouldn't be surprised if you find this dog is one of those that always sits on your feet - common Stafford trait!

Too late for that tonight - frankly I would have the pup on the bed and start fresh in the morning. The pup isn't going to become a raving monster from two nights on the bed - honest!

Edited by Sandra777

Hehe so you've experienced the Staffy scream :laugh:

Some unsettled behavoiur is normal fo rthe first few days.

Move the crate into your bedroom for now would be the easiest and best solution. You can very easily move them out once they are settled in.

Why would you have to give her up? I wouldn't start thinking like this- its only been a few days and everything you've described sounds entirely normal :)

You cannot drop a puppy off at an office overnight, it won't learn a thing. Pups need to be taken out to toilet every hour or two to begin with which means you need to be close and you need to be quick.

If puppy screams in the crate at night take her out and allow her time to toilet, make sure she isn't too hot or cold or thirsty, then pop her back in with a pigs ear to chew on (you may have to do this several times per night). If she continues to scream - ignore it. During the day you can work on building a positive association with the crate.

As has already been said, the puppy will feel much more secure if she can see you. Sleeping on a mattress next to the crate or even elevating the crate on a box next to your bed initially can help too. If you think the crate is too big just buy a divider or use an object to block some of it off.

All previous advice sounds great! New puppies can make a hell of a lot of noise,lol. And I too have worked in kennel and staffords are the worst for making noise,lol.

Have you tried giving her a juicy bone to chew on at night time. She might chew on that for a while which will keep her quiet. Its also good exercise and then she may fall asleep from chewing exhaustion ;)

Forgive me for not being bothered to read all replies, I'm about to run out of the door, so if this is a repeat of something someone has already said forgive me!

Your pup needs to be getting used to being in the crate with the door open before anything else... she has to get used to that crate being HER space and being comfortable in it... worked for my two, didn't need to have them in the bedroom with me (though I understand some prefer to do that) and only had noise from either of them when they heard us getting up the next morning... maybe we were just lucky!

It sounded like we were skinning a pig – I have never heard sounds like it before and the neighbours must have thought we were murdering her.

You could always tell when we had Staffords in at the kennels, we had this sound all day every day... so glad Kaos is broken and doesnt do it :laugh:

good luck with it :)

I am just stunned that anyone would choose a SBT as their first puppy to raise in an apartment. :eek: They are noisier than any breed on earth as babies. Not to mention it will be like having a wrecking ball in the apartment unless there is a huge amount of exercise and training provided as this puppy grows up.

Crate training does NOT mean leaving a puppy locked in a crate most of the day, or while you are at work :(

A`puppy needs to learn and experience its world ..a puppy needs to run & play & chase the wind and roll in grass . A`puppy needs to walk on all sorts of different textures/touch and smell different things ..follow its humans and learn their body language ....

A puppy in an apartment needs some sort of toileting set up - as a small pup will need to toilet many many times during the day and a few at night. You need to train the pup to use whatever you are providing ..as puppy can NOT 'hold on' ....and will quickly get into a habit of toileting anywhere if training is slack.

I suggest you put puppy's crate next to your bed ..the poor little thing is in a strange place-- no other dogs ... no Mum ... she needs company and reassurance .

it would allow her to cry and scream withour disturbing anyone, and then hopefully learn after a week or two that the behaviour is not acceptable.

It would also teach her to soil her bed.

it would also probably make her VERY anxious about the crate ..and Lord knows what other things :(

This is not a thing which will do anything to help the pup's development.

I hope tonight you can show your puppy that you are close and make sure she has a toilet opportunity ..and that you both get some sleep.

Did you thoroughly research staffords? I wouldn't pick a stafford puppy as a good apartment dog ... they are active and strong and ,as you've found, can be noisy ;)

Edited by persephone

Okay well I am going to say it as it is, what are you thinking when you say you are going to leave a Stafford pup in a crate night and day? That is not how to crate train a dog. Puppies need their liberty and your ignorant comment that by locking her in and letting her scream it out really demonstrates that you must be a first time Stafford owner.

Do some research and get some assistance with the proper way to crate train a dog. The dog must learn to regard the crate as her 'territory' or 'space', not as a tool of punishment. Puppies need large amounts of liberty (freedom).

Having had Staffords for over 35 years, I can emphatically tell you that they need lots of exercise and to be part of a family environment, not segregated in a crate, if you plan on keeping her crated while you are at work long term do the right thing and give her up right now to rescue.

Another disaster for a harmless puppy, just waiting to happen.