Dogs That Live To A Grand Old Age

Baileys mum

I received an email enquiry the other day from a lady looking for an Aussie terrier puppy.

She said in her email that her previous Aussie lived to the grand old age of 23...I have a friend that had an Aussie live to 19,which is fantastic, but 23 is so amazing!! :thumbsup:

I thought it would be interesting to know from other Dolers if you know of a dog that lived to a grand old age, how old did it live to? what breed it was? & what the average life span of that breed usually is?

Aussie terrier life span is usually 12 to 15, so for one to live to 23 is a real survivor. :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine had a little terrier cross that passed two weeks after his 20th birthday!Never had a sick day in his life and was still guarding the electricians truck up until a few days before he died.He just passed away in his sleep.RIP Max.

A friend of mine had a little terrier cross that passed two weeks after his 20th birthday!Never had a sick day in his life and was still guarding the electricians truck up until a few days before he died.He just passed away in his sleep.RIP Max.

Awww...what a little survivor he was, RIP Max.

My grandfather in Australia has a JRT named Skippy who they got just before I was born, I am 20. He is blind and deaf, but still enjoys his walks, sleeping in the sun, and getting all of his meals cooked for him by doting grandmother.

Just had our oldest client pass away just before xmas. maltese mix breed she was just over 25. The lady got her as a wedding present so it was always easy to know how old she was.

Blind and deaf but we would stand in front of her and she would sniff my leg and follow me out to the garden where she was happy to wander around by scent.

We also had a GSD who was just over 18 when she died, a few border collies who were 16 plus.

xmas 2009 I had 6 veterans staying for the xmas break and the youngest was 15 and the oldest was 23 they would all wander out to a garden together and had a lovely time wandering around and snoozing under the trees - so lovely to watch them all together - we called them 'the knitting club'.

Edited by alpha bet

My old boy is 21, 22 at the end of this year :) He is a mixed Staffy type boy who came into my life when I was just a kid, so have had the pleasure of growing up with him! He is going great guns at the moment, still chases after his ball albeit a little slower and apart from a couple of removed teeth you would never guess his age. I have friends that I recently caught up with from primary school and one walked into my house and said 'dont tell me thats the exact same dog that stole my maccas burger 15 years ago?!' My answer? Yep, one and the same and given the chance he would still do it now!

When I lived in WA I had a 22 yr old Scottie next door. He was fed supermarket food and scraps, and had been all his life. Still had a decent coat, wasn't deaf or blind, and still did the ~2 km walk to the shops with his owner on a regular basis. The neighbour kids -- adults by that time -- remember him as being a terror who was always out, and who sired a good many oops litters.

We had a toy poodle, the littlest Princess, she live to 19yrs 10m.

When we sent her to the bridge, she still had her teeth, she was a great

little girl who had a a fairly trouble free life.

Just had our oldest client pass away just before xmas. maltese mix breed she was just over 25. The lady got her as a wedding present so it was always easy to know how old she was.

Blind and deaf but we would stand in front of her and she would sniff my leg and follow me out to the garden where she was happy to wander around by scent.

We also had a GSD who was just over 18 when she died, a few border collies who were 16 plus.

xmas 2009 I had 6 veterans staying for the xmas break and the youngest was 15 and the oldest was 23 they would all wander out to a garden together and had a lovely time wandering around and snoozing under the trees - so lovely to watch them all together - we called them 'the knitting club'.

Wow 25 is absolutely fantastic :thumbsup: ....my sister had to PTS her purebred Maltese last year at the age of 15, she was blind,deaf, & had doggy dementia in the end, so it is so amazing to hear of a dog of a similar breed to live 10 years more than her.

How precious that you had a knitting club at your boarding kennel...it must have been lovely to watch. :)