Boston With Brain Tumor

Mynameisriley

After having 2 seizures last weekend, my Boston Terrier, Riley, has been diagnosed with a brain tumor. This was a first sign of any problem and it was extremely distressing. We are keeping positive and Riley has gone to Brisbane today to start radiation treatment. He will be having 5 treatments per week for 3 weeks and allowed home on the weekends.

I now want to focus on Riley's diet. I have read that a diet high in protein and fat with complex carbohydrates and veges, together with Omega 3 flaxseed and other suppliments could be beneficial with dogs with cancer, and to eliminate normal carbs. Has anyone come across a diet that might suit, or does anyone know of a dog nutritionist on the Gold Coast that might be able to help. Thanks in advance.

After having 2 seizures last weekend, my Boston Terrier, Riley, has been diagnosed with a brain tumor. This was a first sign of any problem and it was extremely distressing. We are keeping positive and Riley has gone to Brisbane today to start radiation treatment. He will be having 5 treatments per week for 3 weeks and allowed home on the weekends.

I now want to focus on Riley's diet. I have read that a diet high in protein and fat with complex carbohydrates and veges, together with Omega 3 flaxseed and other suppliments could be beneficial with dogs with cancer, and to eliminate normal carbs. Has anyone come across a diet that might suit, or does anyone know of a dog nutritionist on the Gold Coast that might be able to help. Thanks in advance.

When we had a dog wih cancer, an aggressive form of mammary cancer some years ago I found a terrific little book called Pets Living with Cancer: A Pet Owners resource http://www.amazon.com/Pets-Living-Cancer-Owners-Resource/dp/1583260226/ref=pd_ys_iyr59 As I said that was years ago and there will be more current info available but it really helped us through and we did change Dink's diet - no processed foods (to keep away from the carbs) - she ate what we made, only gave her purified water and just tried to keep her as stress & chemical free as possible. We also decided we would make sure her pain was controlled. To our vets surprise (as he had not thought she would last 6 mths) we had her with us for another 18 mths and she finally succombed to the medication not the disease. She was an older dog so we had decided not to put her through surgery as we were advised this would not really increase either her quality of life or extend her life for more than a few months.

I really wish you well on your journey. Here if you want to chat.

When we had a dog wih cancer, an aggressive form of mammary cancer some years ago I found a terrific little book called Pets Living with Cancer: A Pet Owners resource http://www.amazon.com/Pets-Living-Cancer-Owners-Resource/dp/1583260226/ref=pd_ys_iyr59 As I said that was years ago and there will be more current info available but it really helped us through and we did change Dink's diet - no processed foods (to keep away from the carbs) - she ate what we made, only gave her purified water and just tried to keep her as stress & chemical free as possible. We also decided we would make sure her pain was controlled. To our vets surprise (as he had not thought she would last 6 mths) we had her with us for another 18 mths and she finally succombed to the medication not the disease. She was an older dog so we had decided not to put her through surgery as we were advised this would not really increase either her quality of life or extend her life for more than a few months.

I really wish you well on your journey. Here if you want to chat.

Mags... Thanks for the advice and kind words....its very much appreciated.