Some Sort Of Skin Allergy

Im after any advice from those of you who may have experienced this .

George - the wirey little JRT in my signiture- 10 yrs old (maybe 11?)Hes avery active fairly obedient and lives with the rest of our dogs in the house.

he has developed an allergy. For the first year to two years of living here he was fine and nothing has changed in his environment or diet.

Several months ago he developed a skin complaint - the iching drives him crazy - it is definitely not fleas. he is constantly scratching and biting to a point where he was creating raw patches. This is when the vet said its an allergy and he had a course of antibiotics and antihistamines which worked like a miracle, a month after he finished the course , the scratching returne.

Poor little bugger, it really gets him down and you can see depression creeping in.Another course of AH's fixed it again and now they are finished and the scratching is going on again. I will get him more AH's this week but Im just not happy to make him have them for life. I have tried thinking of anything and everything which may cause it but to no avail.

Im wondering about a wash/home made skin lotion natural remedy/miracle anyone knows of or suggestions other than the current path were on.

please note I cannot afford massive investigative vet work which may or may not work.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Oh and none of the other dogs have it. :confused:

Even though his diet and environment has not changed I would still look at this. Change his diet and look at the plants and grass in your yard. You hear of people developing allergies to things they have always eaten, so there is not reason why this could have happen to dogs.

I recall Erny writing about using calendula tea on skin conditions somewhere on DOL.

You could search some previous threads to find it? :confused: Failing that, you could PM Erny. It sounded like a good natural (and inexpensive) remedy for itchy/inflamed skin. Good luck with working out what's causing the problem. :)

edited for spelling!

Edited by trinabean