Protein Levels In Dry Food

Guest lavendergirl

Guest lavendergirl

I asked this in another thread but might be more suited to this one. I am researching grain free kibble and notice that the protein levels are significantly higher - around 40% - in the grain free varieties. Does anyone know if this level would be too much for a 5 kg small dog of moderate activity level?

I am going to be of no help with an answer for you as I too have always wondered the very same thing.

I was looking at mixing a grainfree salmon kibble through my Black Hawk just for a bit of variety occasionally

but it is 40% protein which concerned me as I don't want my BC's bouncing off the walls so to speak cause they are up to their

eyeballs with protein.

Looking forward to reading your feedback. :)

i was told that if you don't want to increase the energy of your dog then don't go for high protein.

Yeah I thought that might be how it works. I just did a quick look at some of my BC book's & they are all saying

don't go mad with a high protein diet unless you want your dogs to :laugh:

Guest lavendergirl

That makes sense. I am more worried about him putting on weight. I guess the high protein levels are due to more meat content in the grain free varieties. Maybe I will just try to find one without corn and a lot of other fillers. The more I research the more confused I am :confused:

so you want your dog to put on weight? If thats the case look for the higher fat lower protein. once again its what i was told. Oberon is on a RC German shepherd as that combo seemed to match his needs. he needed some more weight on him.

Guest lavendergirl

so you want your dog to put on weight? If thats the case look for the higher fat lower protein. once again its what i was told. Oberon is on a RC German shepherd as that combo seemed to match his needs. he needed some more weight on him.

No sorry - I don't want him to put on weight. He is a bit of a couch potato!

Guest lavendergirl

Which of the foods are 40% protein? I guess you could say that if a dog was eating only raw meat and bones it would be 100% protein, is that correct?

Evo and Artemis are over 40% as seem to be most of the grain free varieties.

Which of the foods are 40% protein? I guess you could say that if a dog was eating only raw meat and bones it would be 100% protein, is that correct?

Canidae grain free Salmon dry food is 40% protein. Got a sample of it & my 2 loved it but I doubt I will go further with it than use it for training treats now. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Im thinking of trying the canidae sometime

I have heard good things regarding Canidae & not all of the varities are as high in protein as the Salmon one.

I was just thinking the fish one would be good for their coats.

Edited by BC Crazy

No raw meat is mostly moisture. I think it's about 16% protein if I'm not mistaken.

I feed my greys (and foster greys) canidae salmon which is high protein and I can assure you they do not "bounce" anywhere :laugh:

I like the high protein food for the oldies to help "feed" their muscles, which do not as much use as they used to in their youth (if that makes sense).

I feed my greys (and foster greys) canidae salmon which is high protein and I can assure you they do not "bounce" anywhere :laugh:

I like the high protein food for the oldies to help "feed" their muscles, which do not as much use as they used to in their youth (if that makes sense).

I feed my little one the Canidae Salmon mostly and the other Canidae grain-free sometimes for a change (it's a little lower in protein - 34% from memory...I'll go check... yep I was right, a rare memory win for me). I can't say I saw a great jump in activity levels in her, but she was fairly active to begin with. She also gets regular bones though, so that will also effect the overall protein levels in her diet.

I found the Salmon especially really agrees with her, lovely coat and bright eyes, nice stools and minimal upset stomach (she's a little sensitive).

Edited by Henrietta

No raw meat is mostly moisture. I think it's about 16% protein if I'm not mistaken.

Could anyone clarify what % protein means exactly? I assume 16% protein in raw meat is by volume? Would it not be a much higher protein % if you looked at the food by calorific composition? I would have thought, to compare meat with dry food, would you not need to look at the proportion of energy a food has from each source (Carbs, Protein, Fat) for a given calorific content?

Just trying to decipher what is meant by 40% protein (volume / calories etc)...

you aren't comparing the same things when you look at grain free V normal kibble. You would need to remove the % of filler/grain and then recalculate how much protein would then be in that diet.

Guest lavendergirl

I don't know how the protein levels are calculated etc. I got a headache trying to sort it all out. I decided to compromise and try Innova - it has low grains and 24% protein.