Dogs That Sit On Feet :)

koalathebear

In another thread where someone was talking about a screaming puppy, one person said something along the lines of: "Don't be surprised if your dog grows up liking to sit on your feet."

Elbie was a night-time screamer as a newly arrived puppy but he is not a foot-sitter. Hoover by contrast was not a screamer, but he does love foot-sitting. He has done it almost from the day we got him. He trots up to us, turns around and does a 'reverse park' into position, then plonks himself onto our feet and then looks up at us with a: "Please pat me" expression on his face. Googling indicates all sorts of disparate reasons

- dominance

- cold floor

- tired

etc.

Hoover doesn't suffer separation anxiety - he's a very chilled, self-possessed doggy who likes to be around his humans but doesn't tend to pine. He also has not displayed any particularly dominant behaviours. All I can guess is that he wants to hang out and the "foot position" is as close as he can get. Is anyone else's dog a foot-sitter?

The comment was made by me in relation to the characteristics of a specific breed. No idea, perhaps other breeds do it for other reasons?

I have a family of dogs which foot sit, they are all confident, out-there independent individuals. My more uptight family doesn't do it.

I've always considered it to be a sign of a confident dog that knows people are there for their convenience :laugh:

The pups I have sold which I told the OP in that thread about have been crate screamers have all been from this same family.

The oldest bitch from that family I have here doesn't and never has crate screamed, she just gets down to the business of busting her way out. She's in season at the moment and munched her way out of the run yesterday, b****y cow :) Her daughters (one adult, one older puppy) all do strangled chicken noises when they want out but thankfully they haven't graduated to eating their way out yet. The sister to the younger bitch has. All 4 love a good foot sit.

My BC girl will often sit on my feet or put a paw on my foot & press her body in & upwards as close as she can get to me. I take it as a sign of affection cause she also looks up at me & her eyes say "I love you, Mum" :)

My BC girl will often sit on my feet or put a paw on my foot & press her body in & upwards as close as she can get to me. I take it as a sign of affection cause she also looks up at me & her eyes say "I love you, Mum" :)

This describes Pink, the others do it sometimes but she is a shocker for it - the look on her face is so sweet.

When I was rehoming Maddy (a 10 mo Rottie bitch) she chose her new family - the moment she looked up at him and the laid down beside him resting her head on his steel capped boots that was it. We all just had a giggle as he said "well that's it - she has to come home with me now"... and she did. Funny this was, Maddy was my girl and while she was good with people she was weary of large men - she chose a man who was a solid build and over 6' - and even though his wife loves her - she is still his girl..

ed - sp?

Edited by Andisa

My youngest (and littlest) does the full stop-in-the-middle-of-the-room-and-reverse-to-my-feet thing, however he doesnt look at us when he does it. He started when we had the firecracker night up here, and we were not giving into his demands for attantion. (The other 3 dogs dont give a toss about the firecrackers, but see it as a chance to get into the house and have some one on one time). He was a bit unsettled, but not panicking, just uncomfortable. So the idea was to show him that nothing was wrong, it was just noises etc. He has kept this behaviour going, especially if we are eating. He doesnt try to look at the food or take it from the plate, rather he will sit on your foot and wait until you go to get up. I reckon he knows he can watch a couple of people at the same time, he knows what the foot person is doing as well as keeping an eye on the others.

My biggest dog does it, and he will then lean into you, 45kgs of love breaking your kneecaps...... We always say he does it so you cant walk away, he has your foot pinned to the ground.

Chester will sit on your feet, Burton would sit on your lap given the chance :laugh: All of the girls will sit on the feet but Shaz at the moment prefers to lord it up on the chairs (she's a laaaaadyyyyy!)

Wouldn't have it any other way :)

No foot sitters in my little pack, but the Whippet thinks he's a mountain goat and is happiest draped across your shoulders :laugh: The Dogues lean on you, the Toy Poodle is usually too busy scabbing for food and the Frenchie is a lap sitter.

We do have the most delightful old Stafford boy who boards with us regularly while his owner works away, and HE is a foot sitter. We had him in the house with us for a while a couple of weeks ago and he was never happier than when he was sitting on my foot while I was on the computer :D :love: (he could stay forever and I wouldn't mind at all :o)

The comment was made by me in relation to the characteristics of a specific breed. No idea, perhaps other breeds do it for other reasons?

Yes - it was only after you posted that comment that I rememberd that one of our dogs does the Foot Sit and how funny we find it :laugh: I've always assumed that it was Hoover's way of telling us: "Human - it is now time for you to lavish me with affection and treats!"

Then there was this - after an exhausting play date on a hot day with half a dozen other doggies - Hoover went and collapsed on the feet of someone else's husband :rofl:

aa11.jpg

I had a foot sitter. I always felt it was a connection thing - she just wanted to be as close as she could given the position her human was sitting in. If she'd thought of jumping on laps she probably would've preferred that. When I used to meditate I had to learn to ignore her fat hairy butt sitting on my crossed ankles. I think she thought she was standing guard while I was 'busy'.

My boy sits on my feet when it is cold.......maybe so his...'ding dongs'.....don't hit the ground?

I think it is really cute. He isn;t dominant towards me or anything like that......so I guess it is only to save on shrinkage!?

:eek:

Oh...and I agreee with moosepup "if he's in unfamiliar surroundings or unsure of himself. I think it's for reassurance. :) " I think Leo is the same in that regard too...

Edited by Diesel's Mate

My Bertie (Chihuahua) prefers laps to feet. The kitten, however...will sit on feet if given the chance. Trouble is, at not-quite-7-weeks he is so tiny and weightless that he is often in danger of being booted across the room because we don't realise he's there :rofl::o:(

• 3 weeks later...