Help Dog Marking

TsarsMum

Hey im in need of some advise.

My samoyed has taken to marking. I believe he is marking where our female indoor cat goes.

This morning was the first time i actually courght him in the act. another time he did it on her litter tray and i think but we cant be 100% certin it was him (cat has issues her self when stressed) on a beanbag,

I have blocked off the path to the back of the house so 1 she can get peace as he harrasses her to no end. and 2 as thats where the litter tray is.

SO this morning he peeéd on the thing blocking the way.

He has also been courght trying to hump the cat which he was told no for and sent outside. I have also been keeping a much better eye as the cat gets sick of it but will not go away just screams. so i now watch him at all times and tell him to leave her and he will listern for a bit and will go back.

He is not desexed and is 1

I am prepared to desex him if this will help really im happy to do anything.

anyways HELP

thanks heaps

Hey im in need of some advise. . . .

My samoyed has taken to marking. I believe he is marking where our female indoor cat goes.

Hmmmm, one year old entire male. . . . .

Firstly, unless you are intending to show and breed, I would desex him. He obviously has some herbs about him and it is really important to prevent the behaviour from continuing. Each time he succeeds in these behaviours, the harder it becomes to extinguish them. I believe that he needs more spacial management in that he should not be allowed to go where he wants and when he wants. When he is out and about, supervise! If you can't supervise him, feel free to crate him or put him away in a pen. I would also be much more vigilant in his behaviour in relation to the cats. From now on that should be a no go zone. I also believe that he needs some obedience training so that he is more respectful of you. Your leadership skills may also need a shake up ;)

Monday; buy a crate (if you don't already have one) and a book on clicker training :)

Tuesday; desex him and while he is at the vet, clean the areas where he has urinated with a vinegar-based solution (not ammonia-based)

Wednesday; begin his training program and ensure that he is either supervised or crated/penned

Thursday; re-introduce him to your cat, reward appropriate behaviour and give him time out for bad behaviour

Friday; read up on 'Nothing In Life is Free' and think about how you could use it in relation to your dog

Saturday; log on to your local dog training club's website and read up on your requirements and on

Sunday; join up!!!

and then practice, practice, practice :D

Does this help?

Cheerio

Cairo1

The dog I have that likes to lift it's leg higher than every other animal and mark is a 5yo female who was desexed at 8 weeks of age. My 16 month old entire male doesn't really mark, although he lifts his leg to pee. My 3 yo entire female doesn't lift her leg but squats to mark over other dogs but not often. Generally only if she's in a new place and a bit unsure of herself.Does it come down to their babymaking status? I've come to doubt it, especially since having Shae (the 5 yo dominant bitch) who came to us earlier this year. She turns all those myths and assumptions on their head.

I would probably just get something to remove the cat pee smell (but good luck with that, it tends to stick around for ages) and keep a close eye on the dog and not let him mark over anything.

Entire male here who is a HUGE marker but never, ever inside even with a bitch in season.

I would deal with the cat urine first - get a black light and look carefully for residue - you may be surprised at where you find it! Clean up with Urine Off or similar.

When Zig was young and starting to mark (or when we moved house) I would take him outside to wee (on command) every 15 mins and reward like crazy. Outside he knows not to mark on the deck or close to the house. As he started to relax in the house I stretched the time out. If I couldn't supervise I would pop him in his crate. Worked for me :)

ETA: I've always done a lot of training/exercise with my lad - much easier for him to relax if he is mentally and physically exhausted :D

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Entire male here who is a HUGE marker but never, ever inside even with a bitch in season.

I would deal with the cat urine first - get a black light and look carefully for residue - you may be surprised at where you find it! Clean up with Urine Off or similar.

When Zig was young and starting to mark (or when we moved house) I would take him outside to wee (on command) every 15 mins and reward like crazy. Outside he knows not to mark on the deck or close to the house. As he started to relax in the house I stretched the time out. If I couldn't supervise I would pop him in his crate. Worked for me :)

ETA: I've always done a lot of training/exercise with my lad - much easier for him to relax if he is mentally and physically exhausted :D

This!!

I had very clear rules with my boys- you pee on grass, not any other surface regardless of how good it smells. They were put on grass and heavily rewarded, and interrupted if they went elsewhere this included on the paving outside as well as in the house. There have been one or two accidents in three years from having a full bladder and just having to go elsewhere but he has never 'marked' in the house, even when I have been training puppies that have had accidents.

I don't think desexing at this point would change much- particularly since you have identified the cat as the trigger. Just go back to basics and treat him like you did when he was 8 weeks old.

hi guys. the reason why is is not desexed is that it makes them loose there coat alot more and as we only have 1 dog at a time him being entire was not really an issue.

I believe he is marking not just peeing.

He is very obediant normaly. he listens to me straight away. i would not say he is naughty (bar this) He is 1 and does 1 year old things but i would say he was a terror at all. bar 1 other issue this has only been it.

i was thinking back on when i think he has done it and it seems to be when him and the cat have been playing heaps. he leaves her when i say so just will go back to her after a bit and start playing.

I have today being a nice day put the cat out and got him in and he has not even looked sideways at anything been really good and not done anything wrong. he has played with the kids and is now sitting at my feet.

Out the back he only pees on the grass he has never peed on anything eles.

the trigger is the cat and seems to be when they play for ages. maybe when he gets worked up he does it???

He is not agressive or nasty to the cat. She will actually come back for more. She is a bengal and is as loud cat. Just seems to get over the top and trys to hump her and then the peeing thing has happened

Im thinking of ending the cat and him playing and if he is in I'll have her somewhere so he cant get to her and see if this helps more... then reteaching him that she is not to be played with at all.

Do you think this may help??

thanks for all your thoughts and sugestions

Just so you know what traing he does know. he sits drops on hand signal and by just voice. he stays, does touch, shakes paws by saying left or right. he does stand. He will not touch his tea with out my say so and he will not look at his tea he keeps eye contact with me, He heals. gives, goes back. He is not a bad mannered dog i have done ALOT of work with him :)

Edited by TsarsMum

Is the cat entire ?

If yes she may be spraying & on heat. This can trigger the dog.

I breed cats as well as dogs & when a female cat is on heat one of my female poodles tries to hump the cat.

Sounds like they are vying for top spot, bengals can be very bossy.

If your dog is non breeding its best to desex. May solve the problem & desexing will not affect his coat at all.