Rspca A Fringe Activist Group?

KatrinaM

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/rspca-a-fringe-group-in-live-exports-debate-says-nationals-mp-mark-coulton/story-e6frfku0-1226115825105

A FEDERAL Nationals MP has taken aim at the RSPCA over its handling of the cattle debate, accusing it of losing respect and becoming fringe animal activist group.

Mark Coulton said the reputation of the animal welfare organisation had diminished due to its involvement in the debate over live cattle exports.

"It is a great disappointment to me that the RSPCA, with their alliance with Animals Australia, have gone from one of the great doyens of Australia, one of the great organisations that was beyond reproach, to have become a fringe animal activist group," he said today.

Mr Coulton said he was insulted by a campaign against him by the two animal welfare groups.

The MP has been critical of the government's decision to ban live exports to Indonesia following a public outcry over television footage showing the ill-treatment of cattle before slaughter.

The ban has since been lifted, subject to conditions.

Mr Coulton says he has been the subject of a "nasty" email campaign that he claims originated from the two organisations' websites.

He says as someone who cares for animals, he takes it as a personal affront.

"The RSPCA has certainly fallen a long way from the great organisation that they used to be."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/rspca-a-fringe-group-in-live-exports-debate-says-nationals-mp-mark-coulton/story-e6frfku0-1226115825105#ixzz1VAuomZxZ

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/rspca-a-fringe-group-in-live-exports-debate-says-nationals-mp-mark-coulton/story-e6frfku0-1226115825105

A FEDERAL Nationals MP has taken aim at the RSPCA over its handling of the cattle debate, accusing it of losing respect and becoming fringe animal activist group.

Mark Coulton said the reputation of the animal welfare organisation had diminished due to its involvement in the debate over live cattle exports.

"It is a great disappointment to me that the RSPCA, with their alliance with Animals Australia, have gone from one of the great doyens of Australia, one of the great organisations that was beyond reproach, to have become a fringe animal activist group," he said today.

Mr Coulton said he was insulted by a campaign against him by the two animal welfare groups.

The MP has been critical of the government's decision to ban live exports to Indonesia following a public outcry over television footage showing the ill-treatment of cattle before slaughter.

The ban has since been lifted, subject to conditions.

Mr Coulton says he has been the subject of a "nasty" email campaign that he claims originated from the two organisations' websites.

He says as someone who cares for animals, he takes it as a personal affront.

"The RSPCA has certainly fallen a long way from the great organisation that they used to be."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/rspca-a-fringe-group-in-live-exports-debate-says-nationals-mp-mark-coulton/story-e6frfku0-1226115825105#ixzz1VAuomZxZ

He wouldn;t be far off the mark

An activist group which gets funding as a charity and handouts from the taxpayers to use against them. With no outside accountability. Surely someone will get it soon.

You'd kind of think so after a while.

Apropos of nothing, Steve, in your siggie about "rasing the bar" aren't you scared the ratbags will start doing the Limbo? Sorry, in a strange mood today.

The other day I looked at the RSPCA SA site - what was I faced with on their home page? Ban this ban that support Kev (WTF?) and Ban something else just like an activist organisation. It some time to workout where the naimals were listed that were looking for pet homes. This (rehoming animals) I thought was suppose to be the main idea of the RSPCA not their big budget activist campaigns.

Looking at the Animal Welfare League just showed the glaring difference between them even more yet both were apparently set up to rehome animals that had nowhere to go.

I disagree............ the reputation of the RSPCA diminished LONG before the live cattle export issue IMO.

Agree - at the start of BSL & the tail docking issue - which was what about 10 + years ago ??? - both of which they have won with massive donations from Governments & our OWN Canine Associations !!

As a matter of interest, which government makes 'massive donations' to the RSPCA? In Victoria, the RSPCA claims that it gets absolutely nothing from government and never has.

I'm not disputing what you say, actually, I simply want some facts. Thanks.

As a matter of interest, which government makes 'massive donations' to the RSPCA? In Victoria, the RSPCA claims that it gets absolutely nothing from government and never has.

I'm not disputing what you say, actually, I simply want some facts. Thanks.

You can access the financial reports from the rspca on their site but 2010 donation from the Vic Gov was 4 million above the 4% funding. 2008 was 2.6 million again above the then 3% funding. As of 2008 the Vic rspca (note Vic only not Aust Wide) had a surplus of 8.5 million and assets amounting to above 55 million. They can cry poor all they like its falling on deaf ears with me.