Bomb Dog Missing In Afganistan (1st Post Updated)

j

I believe it is not uncommon for search dogs in Afghanistan to 'wash out' of the military after being traumatised by close artillery bursts. Not suprising when you consider the reaction of some dogs to fire crackers and thunder.

And your point is Tempus? Sorry I dont get the premis of your statement - there is a war on - a bloody dangerous horrible one - in this one - as in other fields of war dogs have been used to scent/ detect and protect - thier duty and willingness to serve is unquestionable IMO and I know they are given more attention and more affection than any companion dog will ever get. The dogs and the combat engineers who handle them save lives the lives of our service men and women.

I loath the idea of any dog coming to harm for any reason - but I would prefer a dog having a purposefull if short life to an unwanted and stressed existance. As for 'washing out' from the military - are you suggesting we dont use dogs?

As well as military service do you have any idea how many dogs work in the civilian areas as well? I hope you are not suggesting they shouldnt be worked in they way they do.

All our sappers and their EED dogs are heroic and deserve all support and respect.

Sorry if I am ranting - hubby is an X sapper, all be it a thousand years ago in the mid 70's :o I get defensive about sappers and what they have to do.

Edited by Tapua

Does anyone from any of the ACT rescue groups remember this dog? Just interested to know if it did actually come from DAS.

There are photos on the link to the story

Yep I temperament tested him and I also spoke to the Army guys. This dog was going to be pts and the army saved him and gave him job, a job he was great at.

I am sad that this has been turned into the farce that it has.

I wish they could find him, he is missing in action.

Poor pup, but the RSPCA are stupid he was going to be put down killed but no got a 2nd chance at life I know how dog in the English army are treated I'm sure it's the same here. They are treated so well they are loved by everyone get the food bedding vet care and they are heros

I have a 7 month old Kelpie foster dog in my back yard at the moment that the RSPCA transferred to DAS and he was going to be euthanised. I rescued him and sadly the only inquiry I have had for him in the first 2 months was from the Army. Initially I thought it didn't sound like a great idea, but then I did some more research, including searching DOL for an old forum on the life of Army Detection dogs, and it seems it is a great life for providing physical and mental stimulation to a working dog such as a kelpie.

I think of all the poor kelpies that have died, either accidentally or deliberately, as working dogs on my relative's sheep farm, and I think the stats of dying as an Army dog are actually looking quite good in comparison.

If my foster dog does end up in the Army, then I guess it would be quite ironic that he started out as an ACT RSPCA dog. I still think it would be better than having been killed in the pound which is what his destiny was :(

I think the next time a dog is accidently killed by a car or anything else really, that originally was sold by the rspca they should be contacted and told to stop selling dogs to the public! What a ridiculous statement and I'm disappointed that the one good branch has come out with this. Those high drive dogs usually end up in bags, but I guess that is preferable to living a good life with a chance of death.

I believe it is not uncommon for search dogs in Afghanistan to 'wash out' of the military after being traumatised by close artillery bursts. Not suprising when you consider the reaction of some dogs to fire crackers and thunder.

And your point is Tempus? Sorry I dont get the premis of your statement - there is a war on - a bloody dangerous horrible one - in this one - as in other fields of war dogs have been used to scent/ detect and protect - thier duty and willingness to serve is unquestionable IMO and I know they are given more attention and more affection than any companion dog will ever get. The dogs and the combat engineers who handle them save lives the lives of our service men and women.

I loath the idea of any dog coming to harm for any reason - but I would prefer a dog having a purposefull if short life to an unwanted and stressed existance. As for 'washing out' from the military - are you suggesting we dont use dogs?

As well as military service do you have any idea how many dogs work in the civilian areas as well? I hope you are not suggesting they shouldnt be worked in they way they do.

All our sappers and their EED dogs are heroic and deserve all support and respect.

Sorry if I am ranting - hubby is an X sapper, all be it a thousand years ago in the mid 70's :o I get defensive about sappers and what they have to do.

Very well said both of you.

In order to keep their shelter "no kill" stats, they transfer dogs to DAS that they are unable to rehome.

This is not true, the RSPCA transfer dogs to DAS because their quaranteen pens are full and they do not put stays in with the general population of dogs that are up for adoption.

This has been mentioned in other posts so just to set the record straight, this is the reason.

The RSPCA is highly respected in Canberra and ONLY because of Michael Linke.

Maree

CPR

I am over the RSPCA well and truly. It strikes me as quite the double standard when it was only a short while ago that they were all at a ceremony at the War Memorial to award Sarbi the RSPCA Purple Cross for doing the same job!

Edited by espinay2

I am over the RSPCA well and truly. It strikes me as quite the double standard when it was only a short while ago that they were all at a ceremony at the War Memorial to award Sarbi the RSPCA Purple Cross for doing the same job!

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Sorry but it's just laughable, isnt it. Double standards indeed!