Child Killed By Dog

Guest crickets

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( :(

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/child-killed-in-dog-attack-at-st-albans/story-e6frea8c-1226117002241

A THREE-year-old girl has been killed in a dog attack in a Melbourne suburb tonight.

Ambulance officers worked on the girl at the scene but were unable to revive her.

It is believed she and another child, aged 5, were attacked in Lahy Street, St Albans just after 8pm.

Police said the dog, which resembled a pit bull terrier, then went into a property and mauled a woman in her 20s.

The child and woman have been taken to Sunshine Hospital.

The dog is believed to have been from a neighbouring property.

A council ranger is travelling to the scene.

More to come ...

With AAP

Oh God RIP beautiful girl. The terror she would have endured through it all. Her parents......OMG how life can change in an instant. One of my girls is 3, so beautiful just starting to understand how the world works and having it all taken away by a vicious dog. So sad, so sorry :cry::cry::cry::cry:

"Police said the dog resembled a pit bull terrier."

Well, considering there are at least 14 breeds that resemble such type; that I suspect with non-dog experts wagging tongues (aka the police & media) and a lack of breed papers we may never know if this was a pit bull, a freakishly large English Staffy, an Amstaff, or a mix of rottweiler/lab/godknowswhat. Either way, my thoughts go out to the family of the victim. As a responsible dog owner, I am so, so sickened.

OSoSwift is right - may the owner of this dog be charged with Manslaughter. THAT is the only effective legislation that has been implemented elsewhere in the world that prevents tragic incidents such as this.

All the sadder cause the poor woman and family were refugees from a place where tragedy is everywhere. First a house fire, then the loss of a child, plus mauling of herself and another child. . . in a place she fled to because it was supposed to be safe. I hope she's getting the support she needs.

Not a nice thought, but I wonder if the owner had trained his dog to go for dark skinned people. In my days in WA, I noticed that this was not uncommon (you can find it in some places in the US, too).

p.s. I despise the habit of newspapers of inserting a stock photo of a dog in such stories. Would they insert a stock photo of a criminal into a story of a crime?

Edited by sandgrubber

I agree SG - why a stock photo of a Pitbull like dog, why not put in a stock photo of a fluufy dog???

Anyway so very sad to hear they were refugees and had already fled terroe and violence and to ahve the dog enter their home - terrible.

And yes I have also seen dogs and heard of people that have trained or tried to train their dogs to dislike dark skinned people.

That poor poor woman, not even safe in her own home.

May the dogs owner rot in hell or jail or somewhere.

I don't know about that - they've changed the title of the article from 'Dog kills Melbourne toddler' to 'Pitbull kills girl in home'. The ABC is often guilty of sensationalism too, sadly.

Edited by Feather