Whiney Puppy

loveretrievers

Duke is a very whiney puppy. It's not really an issue just more interesting. I've never seen a puppy/ dog as vocal as him. He will whine when he wants something, doesn't like something or really loves something. The cat just makes him miserable cause he goes into places he can't reach lol He is a gsd, wondering if he will always be so talkative lol he settles well at night but does wake up and whine when he rolls over so can make for a sleepless night, always sounds like he is going to want to go out. am I the only one with a vocal puppy?

My girl is very vocal also so you are certainly not alone there. Stella has been very talkative from day 1 & still is at 9 months old.

She to settles well at night. Not a peep! But during the day she whines if she wants to see me as she is usually outdoors. When we are out walking,

she "talks" to everyone that comes along, 2 legged or 4. Whines lots, mainly excitment I think & she has always been an edgy little girl. Plus she

is going through a fear period ATM so she has really hit top note. We do get a lot of looks & one guy did comment "is that the only note she can sing in". :laugh:

Ohhh... you gotta meet Charlie. Master of all whingers!!

He whinges, groans, bark at everything!!! I seriously believe he loves the sound of his voice!

He is not shy expressing his feelings to anyone.

Edited by CW EW

My last GSP was INCREDIBLY whiney - I feel your pain. You're not alone, some dogs are just whingy, many grow out of it - my other GSPs did, but the last one would whine while he was laying inside by the fire with us!! I just kept thinking "what else do you want!!" It was almost as though he didn't even know he was doing it, it had become such an ingrained habit.

Halo is a massive whinger, I love talkative dogs (not barking, talking, like the woo-woos Akira does) but she's normally fairly quiet except for the whinging. Drives me bonkers sometimes! :laugh:

Now that she's in season, she has stopped whinging as much and instead just puts her head on her paws and looks sad. I'm not sure which I prefer because I feel sorry for her!

My Dobe's main means of communication is the whine :D She hasn't grown out of it yet!

Must be a dobe thing eh? My Buddys the same. At least if he needs to go out to pee or poop he lets us know! :D

I'll 3rd the dobie as a whiner. *sigh*

Duke is a very whiney puppy. It's not really an issue just more interesting. I've never seen a puppy/ dog as vocal as him. He will whine when he wants something, doesn't like something or really loves something. The cat just makes him miserable cause he goes into places he can't reach lol He is a gsd, wondering if he will always be so talkative lol he settles well at night but does wake up and whine when he rolls over so can make for a sleepless night, always sounds like he is going to want to go out. am I the only one with a vocal puppy?

I have an 8 month old male miniature poodle and he has been like this from the start. He was always very vocal from the day we brought him home. He still is to some extent, but not as much. He has responded well to obedience training but this vocal stuff is still part of his personality. He is simply more sensitive than some other dogs or more tuned into us and likes companionship and tends to follow from room to room. He is a great dog and I am sure your puppy will turn out the same. Give him time, attention and reassurance and then training when he is old enough. Perhaps a Wagtails type course would help when he is older.

Yes, I think it has a bit with pup's character. Just a little more sensitive, Romymyst I agree, My little girl is very tuned to me,very sensitive & highly driven.Just part of her personality to be vocal.

I don't run to her every time she whines, only when I know she does need me, I ignore the other whines & she has improved 100% to what she was to begin with. Maturity also helps them improve of course.

What is a Wagtails course Romymyst, I have never heard of it? Sound interesting. :)

My dal is a bit of a whiner, when she wants my attention. The worst time is while we are eating dinner, she can't see us but can hear/smell it and whines the whole time. I don't know how to deal with it coz ignoring it certainly isn't working and I seem to be the only one committed to definately NOT going out to her when she's whining (my MIL will take their dogs dinner out when I'm trying to stay back until Cleo stops, she doesn't seem to get it despite my explaining)

She used to whine at bedtime too (they sleep inside at night, separated by a babygate) and ignoring worked for that but not dinner time. Hopefully time will improve the issue, and a move out of the main house!

When the move happens, I plan to crate her while myself and my partner eat and then let her eat when we are done, out of the crate...good idea or no?

(Sorry to jump in the thread with my own questions)