American Staffy Needs New Home

♥Bruno♥

Someone on my Facebook just posted that she needs to re-home her dog.

It is a 6 yr old American Staffy, female, de-sexed, microchipped, 22kgs. Great with humans but not good with other dogs.

I don't know anything more at this stage, but I thought I would ask on here to see if anyone knows of any suggestions?

The dog is located in Melbourne. I can ask the owner questions through Facebook.

I just asked if she is from a pet shop and she said 'not from a shop, we know her parents though"

Not sure what that means. She said they have to get rid of her as they have 2 staffy's and a JRT too :(

Is anyone interested or can you give me some helpful advice to pass onto this person.

Someone on my Facebook just posted that she needs to re-home her dog.

It is a 6 yr old American Staffy, female, de-sexed, microchipped, 22kgs. Great with humans but not good with other dogs.

I don't know anything more at this stage, but I thought I would ask on here to see if anyone knows of any suggestions?

The dog is located in Melbourne. I can ask the owner questions through Facebook.

I just asked if she is from a pet shop and she said 'not from a shop, we know her parents though"

Not sure what that means. She said they have to get rid of her as they have 2 staffy's and a JRT too :(

Is anyone interested or can you give me some helpful advice to pass onto this person.

Is this whats going to happen now to all the unregistered Amstaffs and Pitbulls. :(

Sorry, I don't encourage the re-homing of dog aggressive dogs (of any breed).

What can they do? Find someone who will make sure that dog is never ever put in the situation where it cannot harm another dog.....not sure how many people are after dog aggressive dogs though.

Sorry, I don't encourage the re-homing of dog aggressive dogs (of any breed).

What can they do? Find someone who will make sure that dog is never ever put in the situation where it cannot harm another dog.....not sure how many people are after dog aggressive dogs though.

Yip - managing a DA dog is very hard - even if you obey the law and only go to leashed areas you still have to deal with off leash dogs.

If these people have had this 6 year old dog from a pup, then it's a bit of a worry that it's DA and they want to get rid of it now... appears they are just passing on a problem of their own making instead of taking steps to rectify or contain it themselves.

As a person who has to play swapsies with my own dogs due to them not always "playing nice" with each other - I can see how someone would find it a bit of a pain to keep a DA dog separated from other dogs in the house - but it CAN be done. I took my babies on for life... they are MY responsibility... and just because they have now decided they don't always want to share the same space together, I couldn't (in good faith or conscience) ever rehome either of them.

Personally, if I was in this situation, then I'd probably have my dog given it's wings before contemplating passing her off to a stranger...

T.

It's a be of a leap to assume the rehoming has to do with BSL. The Amstaff is DA so maybe it's simply a matter of them not being able to maintain it with their other dogs. I won't get in to the issues related to rehoming a DA dog but let's not get overly dramatic and jump to conclusions without knowing more information first.

In the current climate I dont blame people for being 'overly dramatic', snook. Infact if this was my thread I'd have it moved to OT

I don't think the person is re-homing the dog due to the incident in the news recently, more that the dog has slowly been getting more aggro and their JRT was hurt badly the other day by the dog. I had messaged her and she said that she had rung up quite a few pounds and shelters herself and all of them told her to PTS :( So that's what they did this morning. Very sad story and not something I have ever had to deal with before, on a personal level. Thanks for all the advice anyway, I do appreciate it.

Guest Willow

I think they did the right thing too, sad though it is to have to ake that decision. I would do the same thing in that situation.

I think this was the best for everyone - I'm pleased they asked around and just didn't transfer a DA dog to someone else to deal with the problem. It's a hard decision, but a responsible one and I would do the same thing.