This Makes Me Shake My Head

dotdashdot

Hi all,

just wanted to share something that got me going today (and still is, if i'm writing this several hours later)...

I work in a Petstock in NSW and I was standing at the counter while my workmate served a lady, and the lady happens to ask if we know if any so and so breed are around, we don't know, and she mentions that she has a lovely boy and wants to get a girl and breed them.... At this stage the eyebrows are raising but she goes on...

"He was a bit of a street dog really..."etc. At this stage, i had to say something (she wasn't actually talking to me directly, I was standing aside).

So I said "Make sure you at least do health testing, you know hips, elbows, eyes; you don't want his progeny to inherit anything bad" - blank look "Oh, I've had him for years, he's fine"

ARRGGHH. Yea sure he's fine, not on the register, no papers, no health tests :mad:eek: I didn't have enough time, or patience to lecture her, and it wouldn't have gone down well I think.

I'm only 20 years old, I have a 5month dal on the main and I am keen to show/agility and with success, yes, breed down the track. I will do health testing - no question about it- and if she fails, she will be desexed immediately. I have learnt sooo much from this forum (thanks) and hearing ignorant people like this irks me to no end....I hope she NEVER finds a female of this breed!

Frustrating, isn't it. I got a call today for someone wanting to adopt a rescue dog from me so they could breed it with their dog! Ummm firstly, nothing leaves here entire, and secondly, why?? They are just too tight to actually buy a dog so they try and source a cheap rescue dog. Every day at work I see the sad result of these hap-hazard breedings and its so depressing.

Its sad. I'm glad there are people like you running rescues, although sad that rescues have to exist; mostly because of these people.

We don't sell pups or kittens and I encourage people to either check out DOL or the RSPCA and thoroughly discourage them visiting the only pet store in town that sells pups.

I've got so many "shake your head" stories from work, one lady wouldn't spend a few dollars on fish food but was looking on our advertisement wall for a free dog....made me wonder.

I'm currently in the process of attempting to talk a family member out of randomly breeding their dog. I don't like my chances.

Frustrating, isn't it. I got a call today for someone wanting to adopt a rescue dog from me so they could breed it with their dog! Ummm firstly, nothing leaves here entire, and secondly, why?? They are just too tight to actually buy a dog so they try and source a cheap rescue dog. Every day at work I see the sad result of these hap-hazard breedings and its so depressing.

You have got to be kidding me! :eek: They must have cement in their head. :mad:

Guest Willow

When I was working at the RSPCA some years back, i refused an adoption from a guy who was very upfront about wnating a dog to breed with. He aske dif he could have the option of leaving her entire which I obviously said "no" to. He asked why, and I explained, and then he looked at me and said "Oh, I don't want to BREED from her, I just want her to have a litter...."

:banghead:

When I was working at the RSPCA some years back, i refused an adoption from a guy who was very upfront about wnating a dog to breed with. He aske dif he could have the option of leaving her entire which I obviously said "no" to. He asked why, and I explained, and then he looked at me and said "Oh, I don't want to BREED from her, I just want her to have a litter...."

:mad Some people.. :eek:

Having moved out to a country town, the amount of work colleagues (who are senior and I try to nicely say something but find it very hard with them being senior) and sometimes patients that I speak to who have bred a litter just cos, or that are looking for a male dog to breed their SWF with. It's just amazing, and they don't see anything wrong with it. One person's bitch has just had yet another litter because it's too hard to keep her male and female separate and she "feels bad" at the idea of taking him to the vet to desex the male (umm, what about the female?? :confused: ).

Drives me nuts!

Having moved out to a country town, the amount of work colleagues (who are senior and I try to nicely say something but find it very hard with them being senior) and sometimes patients that I speak to who have bred a litter just cos, or that are looking for a male dog to breed their SWF with. It's just amazing, and they don't see anything wrong with it. One person's bitch has just had yet another litter because it's too hard to keep her male and female separate and she "feels bad" at the idea of taking him to the vet to desex the male (umm, what about the female?? :confused: ).

Drives me nuts!

Drives me nuts too :mad What is wrong with some people. I just don't understand their reasoning. Meanwhile the poor bloody animal is the one that suffer's AGAIN ! :swear:

Edited by BC Crazy

lol, dont get me started on backyard breeders, I had a lady bring in her DEAF white staffy bitch to work for a check up, during which she mentions she wants to breed her, I asked why? she is DEAF, this could be passed on to the pups! I asked her if she was happy when she found out her pup was deaf after paying $500 for her... she agreed and said she would not breeder her... 5 months later we get a phone call saying her dog is having pups!!! yes 2 were deaf... and she plans on breeding her again!!! :banghead:

lol, dont get me started on backyard breeders, I had a lady bring in her DEAF white staffy bitch to work for a check up, during which she mentions she wants to breed her, I asked why? she is DEAF, this could be passed on to the pups! I asked her if she was happy when she found out her pup was deaf after paying $500 for her... she agreed and said she would not breeder her... 5 months later we get a phone call saying her dog is having pups!!! yes 2 were deaf... and she plans on breeding her again!!! :banghead:

There should be laws against breeding dogs with health defects. It is not fair on the pups who usually end up getting PTS.

There should be laws against breeding dogs with health defects. It is not fair on the pups who usually end up getting PTS.

I thought there actually was a newish law about this?? Can't puppy buyers come back and have some sort of recourse if a person breeds a dog with heritable defects?

What hope is there that people will do the right thing with their dogs when humans cannot do the right thing with regard to having children of their own when they have diseases or conditions that will be passed onto their off spring and yet they still selfishly get pregnant or father a child.

Some people really have rocks for brains!!!

What hope is there that people will do the right thing with their dogs when humans cannot do the right thing with regard to having children of their own when they have diseases or conditions that will be passed onto their off spring and yet they still selfishly get pregnant or father a child.

Off topic, and very harsh. Comments like that have the potential to deeply offend people.

Edited by cmkelpie

What are you on about??? Are you saying because my mother has asthma (a condition) that I should not have had children on the off chance I could have passed it to them!! So off topic and so offensive :mad

I just shake my head. I thought i had heard it all. WRONG !!

What are you on about??? Are you saying because my mother has asthma (a condition) that I should not have had children on the off chance I could have passed it to them!! So off topic and so offensive :mad

yes, I dont think putting children and dogs together in the same debate is entirely wise, are you telling us all that you have 100% perfect dna, none of us do.....

I am not wanting to debate the children issue, but endeavouring to point out was that how would anyone NOT be surprised that humans would NOT do the right thing with their dogs, when SOME humans dont do the right thing by children or other humans. Offensive???!!!Why would you be offended, I did not mention you, specific people,conditions or diseases.

Are you then saying what I stated does not happen.Believe me it does. Having worked for Community Services I can say it definitely does.I was making an analogy, but obviously did not do it well!!