Question About Unregistered Dogs

miss2

Ok so before I start I wanted to point out that I in no way agree with back yard breeders or randoms having un de-sexed dogs which lead to unplanned litters but I do have a question.

I’m trying to word what I want to say correctly so sorry if it sounds weird but I know what I mean in my head haha.

Let’s say that mr back yard breeder advertises in the paper lab puppies for sale. …. Jo blog buys one.

These pups are not registered with anyone other than mr BYB’s local council but Jo blogs feel like he might to do a bit of showing or breeding in the future and he wants to do it in the right way by getting his new lab registered with papers.

Is there any way for him to do this? ( I’m fairly sure you cant)

If so , how? And if not how come? I’m all about keeping the lines pure and health scores and all that stuff but I was just wondering about introducing new “ blood and lines” into the picture other than Overseas imports. Or is that the only way breeders do it?

The reason I’m asking is for my own knowledge and I do have a lot of people ask me this when I tell them I would like to get into showing and when they ask me why I’m angry at them for not de-sexing there 4year old kelpie x that has had 2 litters. Grrrrr!

Thanks everyone! :)

As I understand it you can have two non pedigree dogs registered on the associate register, but I think they need to be desexed, and I don't see why they could show... But they can compete in dog sports

If your friend Jo wants to show a dog, buy from a registered breeder

No. Dogs that were bred would have needed to be registered with the relevant canine council/ankc for any offspring to be registered. There is no way to get a dog of dubious pedigree registered as a purebred.

Jo bloggs should have thought about that before buying a byb dog.

Let's say that mr back yard breeder advertises in the paper lab puppies for sale. …. Jo blog buys one.

These pups are not registered with anyone other than mr BYB's local council but Jo blogs feel like he might to do a bit of showing or breeding in the future and he wants to do it in the right way by getting his new lab registered with papers.

Is there any way for him to do this? ( I'm fairly sure you cant)

You are right. The dog can not be registered with the ANKC as a purebred labrador. It can be desexed and registered on the 'associate' register which allows the dog to compete in performance events, but the dog will not be able to compete in conformation shows or be bred.

If so , how? And if not how come? I'm all about keeping the lines pure and health scores and all that stuff but I was just wondering about introducing new " blood and lines" into the picture other than Overseas imports. Or is that the only way breeders do it?

Ok - so what are the dogs 'lines'? Without a registered pedigree this is completely unknown, can never be guaranteed and can't be verified. And those lines may quite likely be in the genepool anyway through the dogs registered ancestors and better quality registered progeny of those ancestors. Really, the dog is not going to contribute much other than a whole heap of unknowns, and when you consider that the dog is more than likely the product of a dog or dogs which were considered not suitable for breeding for some reason or another, then why would you want to introduce that BACK into the genepool?

If 'Joe Bloggs' wants to get involved in showing or breeding, they should use that dog as an opportunity to learn about the breed by desexing it, perhaps competing with it in conformation events, learning as much about the breed as they can from it (including what not to do and what you dont want in the breed) and then look at getting a pup from a registered breeder where they go into the arrangement up front about the fact they are interested in showing and breeding. That way the breeder has the opportunity to mentor them and help them choose a dog (to be registered on the main register with a verifiable pedigree) that will be suitable for that purpose.

Let's say that mr back yard breeder advertises in the paper lab puppies for sale. …. Jo blog buys one.

These pups are not registered with anyone other than mr BYB's local council but Jo blogs feel like he might to do a bit of showing or breeding in the future and he wants to do it in the right way by getting his new lab registered with papers.

Is there any way for him to do this? ( I'm fairly sure you cant)

You are right. The dog can not be registered with the ANKC as a purebred labrador. It can be desexed and registered on the 'associate' register which allows the dog to compete in performance events, but the dog will not be able to compete in conformation shows or be bred.

If so , how? And if not how come? I'm all about keeping the lines pure and health scores and all that stuff but I was just wondering about introducing new " blood and lines" into the picture other than Overseas imports. Or is that the only way breeders do it?

fantastic thanks guys :)

oh and it really isnt me... i just ordered my pup LOL

Ok - so what are the dogs 'lines'? Without a registered pedigree this is completely unknown, can never be guaranteed and can't be verified. And those lines may quite likely be in the genepool anyway through the dogs registered ancestors and better quality registered progeny of those ancestors. Really, the dog is not going to contribute much other than a whole heap of unknowns, and when you consider that the dog is more than likely the product of a dog or dogs which were considered not suitable for breeding for some reason or another, then why would you want to introduce that BACK into the genepool?

If 'Joe Bloggs' wants to get involved in showing or breeding, they should use that dog as an opportunity to learn about the breed by desexing it, perhaps competing with it in conformation events, learning as much about the breed as they can from it (including what not to do and what you dont want in the breed) and then look at getting a pup from a registered breeder where they go into the arrangement up front about the fact they are interested in showing and breeding. That way the breeder has the opportunity to mentor them and help them choose a dog (to be registered on the main register with a verifiable pedigree) that will be suitable for that purpose.

As I understand it you can have two non pedigree dogs registered on the associate register, but I think they need to be desexed, and I don't see why they could show... But they can compete in dog sports

If your friend Jo wants to show a dog, buy from a registered breeder

Yes, this is true in WA at least (and I'm pretty sure everywhere else too). We registered our 2 rescues on the associate register so they can compete in dog sports, and we were required to send in proof that they were desexed. So no breeding from associate registered dogs, and no entry to the other registers without pedigree. (EFS)

Edited by Weasels