Best Brush For A Short Smooth Coat?

Up until now my pups' coat has needed minimal attention.

Just lately he seems to be shedding a bit more and the brushes I have aren't removing the old hair very effectively. I was almost convinced to buy a 'Furminator" but the only dog in the store we could test it on was a Labrador. It was effective but the Lab had a much thicker coat than my dog. I wasn't sure if it was overkill for my dogs coat.

My pup is a Boxer. Opinions anyone? :confused:

The furminator is a great tool, just be careful you don't get carried away and end up with bald patches (yes, I have apologised to the cat :laugh: )

The furminator works well with short coated dogs and gets a large amount of dead hair out.

A Zoom Groom is also a gentler option if you just want to cut down on the shedding, it just may take a bit longer.

Thanks everyone,

It sounds like the Zoom Groom might be the best option.

Bruno isn't overly keen on being brushed but I am perservering (and picking opportune moments to do a bit!) The Furminator did seem a bit harsh so I would prefer something softer too. I will look for a good body brush too Poodlefan. I love a shiny dog!

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Thanks everyone,

It sounds like the Zoom Groom might be the best option.

Bruno isn't overly keen on being brushed but I am perservering (and picking opportune moments to do a bit!) The Furminator did seem a bit harsh so I would prefer something softer too. I will look for a good body brush too Poodlefan. I love a shiny dog!

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Go for a body brush made from natural fibre.. it will last longer and give a better finish. They won't be cheap but you'll have it forever. I actually bought a boar bristle brush for people from Ebay - works a treat.

Bought a Zoom Groom and a hound glove with a chamois on the reverse side. Haven't found a boar bristle brush today, will check online though.

One glistening and gleaming dog now...:D

Saw your post after I went shopping Stormie. Thanks for the horse grooming block tip though. Might try one on him. Next shopping trip...

Just need to work on the dreaded nail trimming now...:eek:

Up until now my pups' coat has needed minimal attention.

Just lately he seems to be shedding a bit more and the brushes I have aren't removing the old hair very effectively. I was almost convinced to buy a 'Furminator" but the only dog in the store we could test it on was a Labrador. It was effective but the Lab had a much thicker coat than my dog. I wasn't sure if it was overkill for my dogs coat.

My pup is a Boxer. Opinions anyone? :confused:

I use a Furminator on my greyhounds and I found it to actually be better than the Zoom Groom (which I'd been using ever since I got a greyhound).

It picks up dandruff really well so it's good for the lamington hounds I seem to get and it definitely gets a lot more hair than the Zoom Groom. I save the Zoom Groom for bathing as it is good for massaging in shampoos or coat oils.

I guess I'd probably recommend getting both :p

Zeus doesn't like me using the furminator along his spine coz he's very bony so I guess it's uncomfortable for him. I furminate everywhere else and zoom groom after. He loves the attention!!

Nail clipping is a dream with him too as I only need to clip his dew claws; hooning around our backyard and paved areas keep his others nice and blunt. I have him sit on my dad's work bench, say "foot" and he lifts his paw and stays still until I tell him to turn around so I can clip his other side (he sits side on as that's how he fits on the bench).

He really is my gorgeous boy - now I just need to work on his (my) lead and walking on lead problems!

Just keep persisting with the nail clipping; your pup will soon learn to sit still. I used the "stay" command once he was sitting - it kept him still on the bench. Also, does your dog know how to shake hands? I taught Zeus this before I even attempted clipping his nails. That way he was used to me holding one of his paws.

Good luck! Claw clipping is not easy at first!

I used a "slicker brush" on my sister's short haired mixed breed.

Lots of hair came off, staying in the brush, though it's the brush I normally use on the poodles.

If you try a "slicker" brush, just make sure it's GENTLE or EXTRA SOFT

e.g. it shouldn't hurt if you run the metal bristles on the skin on your arm.