Stop Barking Collars

I do agree with those of you who think that it's better to fix the problem barker with the training than e-collar on.

I had a personal trainer invited twice with no end result. When we have visitors my dog on her most perfect behaviour, as she really loves new people and attention they give her. The trainer has explained dominance/submissiveness issues and worked on some other minor problems with her (such as jumping on people), but no matter what we did, we could not set her up to bark.

As I already told you, she seems to be barking at nothing. I always check places she barks at, but can't see or hear anything in there. It made it very hard for the trainer to offer any help.

I did not have any problems with my neighbours or authorities yet, but I am afraid that if (when) I'll have them, it will be too late. I would like to fix the problem right now. And I need something effective to use when I am not at home. I am going to buy e-collar and I will let you know later on whether it worked for me.

I can see that they are sold in "one size fits all". Did someone have it on a little dog? I hope little ones are not too uncomfortable carrying all this extra collar length to suit a big dog.

Thanks to everybody who replied. I appreciate your help.

Get some professional help with the E-collars. Especially if you have a smart dog. They are not hard in themselves.

I had to get a boundary one for one of my BC's.. I have a fully fenced 1.2 metre Chain Wire fence yard... about 12 months ago she found she could get under in certain places. We bought the boundary one.. did the training and in no short time.. worked out that when collar is on... she can't get out.. collar off and we go out... she gets out too...

They do work and have no problems with them when used correctly. My only complaint is with this dog.. it has not become a dependant thing as if the collar is off.. she is out. Had the people out here.. and there is nothing they could offer as suggestions as she has become collar wise.. It was not as if we were trying to use it as a first boundary line. It was a secondary one to a solid fence.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your replies (even though I didn't start this thread).

We have just returned from our honeymoon and have ordered the No Bark Collar!! We actually met a lady in our travels who was using one and we got to inspect it first hand and see how it all worked with her and her dog. We had a bit of a disaster with our house, puppy and cat sitter and Nina's barking while we were away so it was great to read so much positive feedback as well about the collars and to hope that we might be able to help Nina.

Thanks again to everyone for generously sharing their experience.

I too am having problems with my dogs barking at the moment and nothing will shut them up.

We know why they are barking too. They bark at the old man who lives in the battle axe block behind us whenever he is in his yard. He teased them when we first moved in and they have now taken and intense dislike of him. Which I think is fair enough, but they really need to stop barking or our other nice neighbours will complain. :)

The neighbour has pretty much been a bastard since we moved in. Telling us we should get rid of our dogs cause they are stupid. He only thinks they are stupid cause they bark at him. Apparently the nieghbour on the otherside of his driveway has had problems with him teasing his poms. I found this out when he helped me find my two escape artists. He said the dogs are fine wth him going near the fence, not a peep out of either of them. This horrible man is the only thing they bark at.

So we have tried everything to get them to shut up, including treats when they do, time outs, but nothing has worked.

Fortunately you can hire citronella collars from the QBN pound here, which saves us buying them incase they don't work. However we are on a waiting list for them.

So if this doesn't work I will have to use an E-collar even though I don't really like them. Much preferable than having to get rid of my babies, or worse get them debarked if people start complaining. :laugh:

Ezza,

it's funny how the dogs know don't they?

our major problem normally (aside from the being away disaster) is one neighbour along the side - he does the same thing as you described except he also tries to stare Nina down.

He is a little creepy generally and apparently while we were away he told our housesitter that we would have to get rid of her. I didn't know about this when I went and apologised to him otherwise I would have told him off (I know... it would have just antagonised him!!) he stares into our windows and yard when he thinks we aren't looking and generally gives me the creeps. my husband thinks I'm over reacting but Nina and I know the truth!!

Ezza - your problem with you neighbour sounds exactly like mine - right down to the battle axe block

Our neighbour throws a cricket ball at the colorbond fence to stir my girl up

The bark collar and keeping them inside is what has worked for me - we've also planted some fast growing shrubs with a temporary chicken wire fence in between the property lines - that has at least stopped her getting right on top of the fence....

I used a citronella collar and found it to be very expensive! I had to refill the canister every second day. And then I had to buy a new refill every 2 or 3 weeks. Each refill was about $30. Plus, every month I had to buy a battery.

I paid $200+ for the collar and then, in order to keep it working, I had to pay more and more and more.

I wouldn’t recommend a citronella to anyone.

I hated the thought of using an e-collar, but didn’t have choice. The collar has 7 levels of shock. I tried each of them on myself before I put it on my dog. Level 7 – hurts a bit, level 5 – just pushes you hard, level 3 – ticklish. Level 5 was enough for my dog to stop barking. I don’t remember when I recharged it.

Our Council hire the electric collars. we have a 99% sucess rate. But if you buy or use one make sure the battery does not go flat as when going flat they beep and zap. I actually touched one and the zap is like static electricity and causes a shock not pain.

A good idea is to make sure you get a video with it and learn how to use it properley and when you take it off the dog place a u bolt about the same size as the little black box on your dogs collar and she will think the electric collar is still on. Most dogs are easily to fool like this but you do get some who know the difference.

best of luck