Council Registration/ Desexing

alli78

Hi all, have done a few searches but really cant seem to find any answers to this one!! Hoping someone can help me... I have a 12 week old Newfoundland, he is micro-chipped and now needs to be registered with my local council, however I can not register him until he is desexed, on the breeders advice (and my own reserach) I agreed not to desex until 12 months of age... I did wonder if he is registered with the vic canine association does this then exempt me from having to desex for council registration?? but do I need papers to register with VCA??? any ideas??

Check with his breeder - if breeder is VCA registered and parents are Main regisstered pures, pup should be registered too - you should get papers.

And double check with the Council - you should be able to register him entire for the moment (will likely cost you a lot more) and then get a pro rata rebate when you produce his sterisation certificate down the track.

You can still register an entire dog, but as Leema said, it just costs more.

I had a similar thing with Orbit - I didn't want to desex him until 18months, so it meant that when I registered him at 6months of age, I registered him as an entire male and paid the fee for an entire dog.

Being registered with the VCA has nothing to do with council registration :)

eta just read the Latrobe City Council website and I can't see anywhere that gives you an age it must be done by? It just says:

As of 1st May 2007, all new applications to register a dog or cat will not be accepted unless the dog or cat has been implanted with a microchip and desexed (proof must be provided). This includes dogs and cats moving into the municipality from another Council.

Here in NSW they are meant to be registered before 6months of age. So perhaps you can register him after he's desexed?

Why not just give them a call to discuss what you need to do

Edited by stormie

Yeah I think I am going to have to call the breeder, I dont have papers for him which I assume means he is not registered... Just checked council site and it states all dogs over 3 months must be registered...NO WAY am I desexing a 12 week old Newfoundland

You can still register an entire dog, but as Leema said, it just costs more.

I had a similar thing with Orbit - I didn't want to desex him until 18months, so it meant that when I registered him at 6months of age, I registered him as an entire male and paid the fee for an entire dog.

Being registered with the VCA has nothing to do with council registration :)

Hmm I think I should give the council a call then to see if there is provision to pay extra to register him entire.

Thanks!!

There seems to be a separate column in the fees section for chipped dogs that are registered with an applicable org such as the VCA, so perhaps that means if he is registered with the VCA you're entitled to keep him entire?

In my shire we can have Entire dogs as long as you are a member of VCA & or reg breeder with VCA, yes we do pay a little more

When I reg one of my dogs they asked me for my Vca card & they didnt ask for his papers even though I took them with me.

Yes you can register him entire,from what i gather here.Scroll down to fees and information.

http://www.latrobe.v...rvices/Animals/

Yes I did see that, so am guessing to do that I need to register him with VCA or similar... Anybody know do I need papers to do this

Give your breeder a call and find out if there are papers on the way (they should be giving you papers if they're a registered breeder). Otherwise the only way to put them on the VCA is as an associate, and they need to be desexed for that.

Yes you can register him entire,from what i gather here.Scroll down to fees and information.

http://www.latrobe.v...rvices/Animals/

Yes I did see that, so am guessing to do that I need to register him with VCA or similar... Anybody know do I need papers to do this

Give your breeder a call and find out if there are papers on the way (they should be giving you papers if they're a registered breeder). Otherwise the only way to put them on the VCA is as an associate, and they need to be desexed for that.

My assumption would have been that I would have gotten papers too..I think I had better contact the breeder

I do believe some councils in VIC do not accept dogs to be registered without papers proving they have been desexed- they do not have a clause to pay more for entire animals at all!! I know a breeder that was nearly caught out on this when she sold a pup on terms.

I hope you are not in one of these councils!!

I do believe some councils in VIC do not accept dogs to be registered without papers proving they have been desexed- they do not have a clause to pay more for entire animals at all!! I know a breeder that was nearly caught out on this when she sold a pup on terms.

I hope you are not in one of these councils!!

Yes I am in one of these councils, can only register an entire dog if VCA registered

I am in th e Latrobe Shire and you most definiitely can register entire dogs at no extra cost. They have to be microchipped and registered with VCA, which he will be if he has a pedigree.

Off topic Gayle but wondering if I may know you, have you always been in Toongabbie...I'm from Cowwarr