Does This Diet Seem Ok?

After my last thread, I used the advice, and this is now Chester's diet (10 week golden)

Brekkie: one cup of black hawk adult, tablespoon yoghurt and a tablespoon of either sardines or mackeral

Lunch: a chicken frame

Tea: chicken necks (usually 3 or 4) and a cup of black hawk, with a raw egg every few days

Does this sound ok? Anything you would change? If we can, sometimes tea is mince with kibble instead of necks.

I agree, I would probably give the necks a miss as they are too small for a dog Chester's size. I would also give more meaty bones instead of frames, but then again that's just me :)

I was wondering about the calcium:phosphorus ratio with too much bone too.

Thats why I just get a good quality puppy food and pretty much stick with it except for a few extras. My pup was too pudgy on BH.

I'd be moving the pup onto at least frames, even some good mince like 50/50 chicken beef, or some roo as well.

Not how I would feed. Don't black Hawk make a puppy food ?

Can't see the point of the yogurt, its just a dessert really unless you're giving Yakult as a probiotic, in which case a tub of Protexin powder would be more use & easier.

Necks are useless for a big pup, he needs bones & commercial chewies left around, if he doesn't devour pigs ears etc in seconds.

I would be giving a small feed of some raw meat & vegies or some canned puppy food if not sure all needs are being met however most dogs survive whatever diet is their owners preference & usually thrive & grow fine unless the owner is a complete idiot, you know moron throws a bit of dry down when remembered type.

It's quite OK to give your puppy Black Hawk Adult Formula...whatever the food guide tells you on the Adult as daily rations for a dog that weighs "x" kilos, you double the amount. Just add a bit more protein, which it looks like you are doing with the eggs, sardines, RMB's etc. ie. if your pup is 10 to 15 kilos you would give 220 to 300 gram of Adult a day. Sorry, I don't know what that is in cups, just measure it on the kitchen scales. As the pup grows, just keep following the guide & doubling it, until he is about 7 months old, then gradually start reducing the amount over the next 4 or 5 months till he is on Adult rates. As others have said, I would be getting rid of the chicken necks (too small) & replacing them with turkey necks cut in half, which take longer to chew. I have been giving my BC pup Adult Black Hawk since I got him at 11 weeks, on the advice of a lot of people on this forum as well as breeders. It saved me having to have both Adult & Puppy. I weigh him at the vets every month, & he is growing into a very lovely boy with a very, very, healthy coat & lots of energy & doesn't even look like getting fat. I can only see benefits giving your pup some natural yogurt every day so I would keep that up. Just a thought...if you are giving your pup all those other lovely things on a daily basis, then maybe cut the recommended BH back a bit. Best thing is to weigh him regularly at the vets because it also depends on how active he is.

Personally for a larger breed puppy I would feed a quality kibble diet while they are still growing. No harm in adding some extras ocassionally like sardines, yoghurt, mince etc but I only use them as extras not as part of the diet.

You only get the one chance to grow a puppy properly so it is structurally sound as an adult. Plenty of years down the track to feed more variety.

The only thing I'd change , would be to add a lamb flap or part of a roo tail, every couple of days, rather then the chicken necks.

He would be fine for two meals a day , so I'd go one meal of dry with sardines , egg or whatever and your next meal a raw one. Alternate your red and white meats and make sure the bone is able to be consumed.

I no longer raise pups on puppy dry, they are weaned straight onto adult formula and have never looked better. No growth issues, there feet have stayed tight and they have matured nicely.

Edited by ReadySetGo

• 4 weeks later...

If you can get your hands on them, turkey necks are a great substitute for chicken necks. They're much larger so less of a chance of being gulped down.

I'd also put him on a puppy dry food rather than an adult. I have a 8/9month old GSDX here at the moment still on puppy dry.